× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Distance learning hygiene therapy course

7 years 11 months ago #7411 by Pammie55
Hi Teesey
It is part of the course. Southend University oral science is connected to Kings in London. over 400 hopefuls per year apply and they only have 35 placement for the hygienist course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teesey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #7392 by Teesey
wow what a good idea this is Pammie55
Didn't think this was available.

Would be good to think that other surgeries would follow suit?

7 years 11 months ago #7381 by Pammie55
Hi
I am not sure about online courses, but the practice where I work which is in Essex I have 4 student hygienist placement. They go to Southend University 3 days a week then in surgery placement where they get most of the practical experience 2 days a week. We give our patient the opportunity to see the students free of charge. The are at each placement 3 months. There are 3 terms a year and the course is for 2 years. While they are on placement they have a CE looking after them, which can be a dentist or a qualified hygienist of 2 years. Online course are good but you will never get the practical training or one to one teaching
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teesey, Figueiredo

7 years 11 months ago #7379 by Teesey
Hi there A.C17

I am sure that the hygiene courses are diploma level and they are done via universities and they are normally 27 month FULL TIME courses. the closest one to where you are on about would probably be the university of Sheffield. but anyway it would mean you giving up work to study full time. you cant train as a hygienist and work as well. sorry

7 years 11 months ago #7365 by a.c17
I have worked with a hygienist for 6 years !
I dont mean just online I mean more a weekend course or evening or a university that is in the eastmidlands that provides dental hygiene , I Know it would never be just a online course

7 years 11 months ago #7363 by SmilingDCP
As far as I'm aware, Dental Hygiene is not something you can train for online, and to be honest, I really hope it is not something that will ever be offered online either. It is a very intense full time course which takes 24-27 months to complete. You would have to apply to university to do this course. When you study hygiene, you will essentially be studying dentistry. Would you trust a dentist who has only an online qualification?

Before you apply anywhere, I strongly suggest you research thoroughly what this course and career involves and take the time to observe a hygienist at work or at a practice that has one.

x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teesey

7 years 11 months ago #7361 by a.c17
Hello,
I am a qualified dental nurse looking at progressing onto being a hygienist , but where I live which is Leicester :) there is no local universities that provide this course , I was wondering if anyone knew of any online/ distance learning hygiene courses
Thanks
Amy

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New