× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Trainee pay

8 years 3 weeks ago #7198 by SmilingDCP
I was on £8 ph as a trainee and funded my own course. I really would have struggled on anything less than that.
While minimum wage guidelines exist, I don't think its fair to have a trainee nurse on this after the three month probationary period, especially if over 25yrs of age. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a generous employer who will happily fund their studies. The nursing course itself costs around £2k, add to that; rent, food, travel, bills, vaccinations (I had to have four doses over 6months at £40 per jab!), plus enough to have a tiny bit of a social life. I'm sorry, but minimum wage does not cut it, especially if I'm working a high risk job.

I think £7.50 - £8 for a trainee (after 3month probationary) should be considered.

x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Figueiredo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 weeks ago #7197 by smile4u2
Well thats still alot more than we are offering so maybe i'll bring this up

8 years 3 weeks ago #7190 by Figueiredo
I was lucky, 7.50£ as a trainee and OT 10£ implants 12.50£
The following user(s) said Thank You: smile4u2

8 years 3 weeks ago #7184 by jmoss
Our 2 trainees are both on national minimum wage (they are over 25) which I think is £6.70.

Their courses (which are just shy of £2k each) are being funded by our employer.

When I started as a trainee I seriously would have worked for anything AND I was willing to fund my own training (I suggested minimum wage at my interview as I was SO desperate to start) as it was really difficult to find a local practice that would take me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smile4u2, Figueiredo

8 years 3 weeks ago #7183 by smile4u2
Hi we are looking for a trainee dental nurse at my practice and have had some girls turn the job down because they think pay is too low.

I would just like to have some idea on what other practices pay their trainees?

Thanks

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New