× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Disposing of sharps

8 years 1 month ago #7204 by lindaday
Hi I work in Special Care, and with us it is the dentist responsibility to dispose of the sharps, We have a sharps bin in the surgery, and once we have finished the treatment, they just automatically do this, but it was brought up in a meeting and the dentist were informed of this

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 month ago #7196 by kittykat
All sharps should be disposed of by the user immediately at point of use. About two years ago my practice implemented this rule and although it was tough at first the dentist are now good at remembering to dispose of them before the nurses whip the instrument trays away. Do you have a risk assessment for sharps? What does it say re: steps to be taken to reduce the risk of a sharps injury?

8 years 1 month ago #7155 by fay_stanley
I think you will find that in most practices dental nurses are disposing of the sharps. It is not the nurses responsibility to do this it is the clinicians. It is there job to keep you safe. Up until a few years ago I was happily disposing the sharps until I got a needle stick injury. I had to go through all the protocol and was asked at my local A&E department by the doctor treating me why I was disposing of a needle when it should be the dentist! . Just explain to the dentist you work with that you are not happy to be doing this and that you would rather them do it. Good luck

8 years 1 month ago #7154 by izzieneal
Thank you for your reply... I have tried there and can't find anything either :(

8 years 1 month ago #7151 by SmilingDCP
Have a look in the HTM01-05 guidelines. There should be something in there.

Dentists should be disposing of needles.

8 years 1 month ago #7150 by izzieneal
Hi all,

I was wondering if you can help. I'm looking for some information about siposing of sharps. I am aware that the nurses shouldn't dispose of the sharps and the dentists must do it.
I have searched the HSE guidance for safer sharps and cannot find anywhere which states this.
As a practice all the nurses are happy here disposing of sharps, we want to do training to cover us but not sure if this is aloud. Can anyone help us?
Thank you x

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New