× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Dental Nurse Advice

8 years 2 months ago #7076 by Lozzywozzy86
I also work at a one surgery practice.
I think getting her on the phones and familiarised whilst quiet is the best wy to go - dont want to overhelm her when its manic and also get chance to sit own quietly and show and explain way you work. I do both nursing, management and reception and find reception and nursing help you appreciate each job and understand more.
Do you have a nurse induction?
Go through the machines in the decon room, explain the audits and checks you have to do, explain recalls. There is always things to be getting on with.
Maybe go through cqc, explain whats expected for inspections.
If really stuck get online and do some free cpd, even though it doesnt get registered it gives her a head start and also more info on precedures and regs. (isopharm is brilliant for cpd)
The nurses in our practice get really involved in all audits, cleaning, reception duties.

Hope this helps a little

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago #7034 by SmilingDCP
Definitely get her on the phones. Its a good way to get to know the software you are using if she is having to search records, book appointments etc If she is training, maybe you could go through what she needs for her portfolio with her?

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #7029 by kiwiuk7
Hiya

I'd say now would be the ideal time to have her starting on the phones? Takes the pressure off a little bit because there's more time to ask questions. (In our practice we're very quiet at the moment) and business will resume as normal on the 4th so we're all in the process of deep cleaning,

I guess you could also go through charting/theory work learning instruments etc? Policies, although not the most fun, are really important too.

Hope this helps a little?

Jen

8 years 2 months ago #7027 by Omnia
Hi Everyone

I need some advice and I think you're the best to help me.

I have a small one surgery practice and I have recently employed a trainee nurse.

We have no patients booked in from the 4th to the 8th and I was wondering what jobs I can give her to keep her busy?

There is only so much sterilising and cleaning she can do. I want her to feel a benefit to everyday and to learn about her profession! and I also don't want her to be bored. There is so much to nursing, but what can I teach her while there is no patient in the chair.

I dont quiet want her on the phones or admin side yet until shes a little bit more confident and knowledgeable.

This is the first time ive had a trainee and so im a bit lost.

Hope someone can help

Thanks
Omnia

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New