× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

How to talk with patients ?

8 years 4 months ago #6987 by Nursa
Thank you ladies :)You helped me a lot.Now i know its nothing wrong with nurse talking to patients:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 4 months ago #6983 by kittykat
I'm an introvert and generally hate having to make small talk so I have a few question prepared to avoid those awkward silences!
The weather, holidays, & christmas are always good for starters or I'll ask the patient what they're doing with the rest of their day and tend to let them do the talking!
Once you've seen patients a few times you get to know a bit about them (children/job/pets etc) it gets easier. I make a little note on their records to prompt me, for example what they're studying at uni or if they have a new grandchild; patients love the personal touch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nursa

8 years 4 months ago #6981 by STaylor94
I love making conversations with patients. I always work with the same dentist so I know all our patients and can build a relationship up with them so hopefully this is the same for you! :) This is nice as I remember little details about them that I can ask about etc.

I just make general chit chat really like what are you up to today, what have you been up to, any plans for the weekend, what do they do for work, programmes on tv, big events coming up like christmas, halloween, easter, etc, any children they make have, holidays coming up..that sort of thing. It takes time really to gain confidence so I understand where youre coming from.

You'll get there so just go with the flow.

Any conversation is great! :)

I hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nursa

8 years 4 months ago #6976 by Nursa
Hey ladies and gentlemen :) I would like to know how do you talk with patients when they come for their appointments?When you see them what do you usually say ? How do you talk to them? I am asking because last time I worked with dentist who did not like when I was talking to patients but from your posts I see that most of yours dentist don not mind so I was wondering how do you welcome patients and how you keep nice chat with them ?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New