× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Overseas working

8 years 6 months ago #6931 by hjones
I looked at moving to AUS as i'm 23, have been nursing for 5/6 years now and wanted to take a year out elsewhere. I currently work for an agency as I haven't really found the right practice for me yet, and I like the flexibility. I contacted the BADN and they were quite helpful. According to the lists of skills in AUS, being a dental nurse is not actually listed as a 'skill'. To them, anyone can be a 'dental assistant' you don't need to be qualified. This means that you can go to AUS on a working holiday visa that is 3/12 but you'll struggle to get work there. Most of their job posts specifically ask for 'non immigrants'. I know it's ridiculous but that's how they are as regards to work.

Gibraltar is meant to be nice, one of the hygienists I speak to went to work out there as a nurse and loved it!!

I'm still looking myself to go somewhere for a year but at the minute nothing has hit the target!!

hope this helps girls/guys!! xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago #6929 by jmoss
I have looked at moving to America or Canada and on both emigration sites it says you need either a degree, have substantial financial interest in a company or have immediate family living there.

It seems like a really strict process!

8 years 6 months ago #6916 by STaylor94
I qualified with the national diploma in dental nursing in 2014 and my course tutor said that with a diploma we are able to work in other countries such as Spain and Australia as the diploma is considered a 'skill' so you would be bringing something useful to there country. The NVQ in dental nursing isn't a widely recognized qualification so someone with this would have to retrain.

Hope this helps. :)

x x

8 years 6 months ago #6914 by Maisyandmoo
Hi all,

I have a query from a few trainee nurses who are studying the Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing through City and Guilds. Many would like to know if they can work overseas, namely Australia and America with their qualification or if they need to retrain over there if they were to move.

Many thanks in advance!

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New