× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Trainee aspiration problems

8 years 6 months ago #6927 by taragreen90
i'm left handed and find it easy, but what helps me more is using a mirror to retract the cheeks further on your side of the patient. you can see more and you are able to manoeuvre the suction tube

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago #6925 by Louisebe
I am left handed and have nursed for over 20 years. I find it to be an advantage. I teach both right handed nurses and lefties and it is all
About your chair position and of course the dentist you working with! I have never had a problem.
Use the disposable vented tips too and if your chair has a back support, turn it around and support your arm to lean on

8 years 6 months ago #6912 by sophomoreslump8
Hey Hun,

I'm left handed and had trouble with aspiration for AGES! If I'm doing posterior teeth on the left I find it hard to I just stay buccal and sit the aspiration tip in the cheek area. If its upper posterior I stay buccal again and pull the aspiration tip out to the side to keep the area clear- if its hard to get to- stay on the last tooth to keep out of her way, but you still catch everything x

8 years 6 months ago #6911 by Lo1
Hi! Is there any left handed nurses out there? I've been training for about 10 weeks and thought I had aspirating worked out until today when the dentist told me I kept hitting her drill and was in her way! :dry: she said it must be coz I'm left handed, any tips?! Thanks x

8 years 7 months ago #6887 by Jeaniebeanie
Thank you :-) that's a good idea. We use plastic tips, but they seem to take up so much room! Especially with children. I think I will switch to the saliva ejectors for scaling for now like you suggest. Other treatments in fine with, its just the scaling. Thank you again :-)

8 years 7 months ago #6886 by millstone
Are you using the stainless steel aspiration tips? They can be awkward as they are rigid and take up space. I'm sure you'll find the plastic saliva ejectors much easier. Our hygienists sometimes have to work on their own and the patient can hold the flexi saliva ejectors themselves, just bend and tucked into mouth without even moving it about. If you aren't already using these then give them a try .

8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #6885 by Jeaniebeanie
Hi,

I'm a trainee and I'm really struggling with aspiration :dry: I'm really aware of how bad I am at it. Has anyone else felt so clumsy? I just can't seem to get comfortable with it. I just hope it's something that comes with time :( I thought I was doing well until today. I struggle with knowing where to put the tip without getting in the dentists way, mainly during scaling. They just seem to throw water everywhere! Does anyone else have a hard time with aspiration during scaling?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New