× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Sharps injury

8 years 2 months ago #7067 by SmilingDCP
Hi there,

When it comes to infection control, we must always protect ourselves and others as though all patients are infected. They may not be aware they have anything, or they may not divulge the information to us. Even if the patient is not infected, the instruments are contaminated with bacteria. With this in mind, you must always follow the proper procedure when a sharps injury occurs.

Remember, safety first

X

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago #7059 by hollie26
Hello,
A colleague of mine today had just finished a filling on a little girl whos medical history appears to be clear, it was our second patient of the day and she put the dirty instruments in the ultrasonic bath for 6 minutes. Once the cycle was over she took the basket out and her glove got caught on the bottom which ripped the glove and did rip her skin, it did bleed so we followed the correct protocol but I just wanted some advice as to whether she could have caught anything?I dont think theres much chance but....

8 years 9 months ago #6779 by Allison
Hi,
As far as I know you can contact a patient and ask them to go for a blood test but it is up to them if they go or not. You cannot force them to. You have to be sure that the stick injury is from an instrument used on that pt, which I am sure you are. We all know some pt's don't reveal all on their mh's, but if your boosters are up to date and you get tested after injury at least you can be sure of your own status.

More than likely you will be ok and at least now you have the protocol in place for the future cos as careful as we can be these things happen form time to time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mum2301

8 years 9 months ago #6778 by Mum2301
thanks, I did contact Occupational Health but my practice was not registered, I went to A&E who referred me back to occupational health. The practice is now registered and I spoke to Occupational Health who said that my manager now has all the info but the manager has not yet contacted the patient to them to go for a blood test. Is this something that they have to do by law or is it down to me to just keep having blood tests? Thanks

8 years 9 months ago #6774 by CullenDawn71
Our procedure is the same as kittykats. Follow to the letter and do not be persuaded to deviate, it is your health that is at stake. Any worthwhile employer will help you to the maximum of their ability. Hope this helps, hope I don't sound too bossy but it is important.

8 years 9 months ago #6770 by kittykat
This would be the procedure in our practice:
- bleed, wash and cover the wound
- report to management
-contact occupation health & follow their advice
-fill out an incident report
If the incident report found that there were errors in procedure (eg not wearing ppe, resheathing needles) then remedial training in would be given. The risk assessments would be updated also and changes made eg introducing safer sharps system.
If sharps injuries were frequent and training/ procedures purposefully ignored then the person in question would be facing disciplinary action.

I think legally your employer must have a risk assessment in place, provide all necessary ppe, and ensure you are trained to carry out tasks. They must also record and investigate any incidents too.

8 years 9 months ago #6767 by Mum2301
Hi all

I had a sharps injury at work, does anyone know what your employer is legally obliged to do?

Thanks

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New