× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Help from all dental nurses please!!

8 years 10 months ago #6786 by Allison
I do all the induction for new nurses at our place and then supervise chair side. The dentist gives advice/instruction as needed when working but for the first few weeks they are always supervised by me. They come to me with any queries after this, think is easier to ask someone working on same level.

I agree Fionamo, the dentist's do forget names of instruments, mine asks me for their "favourites " or give elaborate hand mimes as to what they want! good job I know the different procedures so I know what is used lol.

Seriously, a good team gives good advice and help to each other, it carries on a long way past the first few weeks of training, it gives everyone confidence to do a good job and the knowledge that you've always got someone to help and cover your back :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 10 months ago #6785 by FionaMo
I don't think you ever stop learning or teaching , especialy if you change jobs a couple of times , You do need the whole team to train you, one thing for sure a Dentist doesn't really know what a Nurse needs to be doing and in my experience if a Dentist has been qualified a while he /she can rarely remember the correct name for instruments - just what they are used for!, apologies if you don't all agree with me :)

8 years 11 months ago #6698 by CullenDawn71
Hi when I first started I trained under the dentist, over time I then traied the new nurses. As I have moved jobs over the years I trained under the nurses and now train new nurses where I am currently working. over the years I have seen a big change as the dentists become busier allowing the nurses to do the training. :)

8 years 11 months ago #6697 by amiistrange
Hello, I got thrown in surgery within a few weeks because we were short staffed with one dental nurse showing me the very basics for half a day training. then i basically taught myself everything with the dentists sporadic guidance.
Hope this helps, you will get there it is very overwhelming at first but it comes as second nature eventually.

8 years 11 months ago #6696 by dentalbee2
Mostly by the other dental nurses but some stuff from the dentist himself who taught me the four handed way which a lot of girls and dentists themselves can't do these days

8 years 11 months ago #6693 by Ekw
Hi there,

I went to college for my theory, the senior nurse taught me the sterilising, xray developer ordering and things. The dentist taught me to assist her the four handed way so I had a bit of everyone which really helped.

8 years 11 months ago #6692 by Lucynurse1
Hi there

To all the nurses who have been trained or are in training...
Did you get trained by another dental nurse or did the dentist train you?

Thank you :)

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New