× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Being cross infection lead

8 years 11 months ago #6653 by ambarose
Hiya I am decontamination lead in my practice and i attended a course at the Dental Smiles Academy that helped me alot. It is based in birmingham but i travelled from devon and the course was a week long. You get a city and guilds in dental decontamination after and lots of help with becoming a lead
The following user(s) said Thank You: JGill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 11 months ago #6646 by Allison
Hi JGill,
I'm CIL at our practice and have not done any courses. My role is to clean and check autoclaves, fill with clean de-ionised water, empty used water tanks and test with steri-strips in cycle. All steri-strips are logged on a log sheet daily with type of test done, temp reached, etc and passed for use. You as lead sign it off as passed for use. Same goes for the washer/disinfectors, check the working parts, liquid/salt levels, clean filters etc (these vary on type of machines ). There are daily checks and weekly test such as rapid protein swabs. Also quarterly test that are to be done on a wash cycle (again depending on machine type ).
You are responsible for keeping clean and dirty areas separate, spot checking instruments for debris after being through washers, making sure start up and shut down logs are filled in correctly and promptly by each surgery, waste materials going in relevant bags/bins for disposal and you have to keep a record of all of this. You also have to tell the other nurses if you find anything that they are not doing right, like not getting cements etc off instruments. ( I hate that bit so just send a msg to all via the computer system so it looks like a general comment and not aimed at anyone in particular! ). It's a lot of work and I have been doing it for a couple of years now. Probably missed off a few things I do but am programmed to do it now so mainly on autopilot I think! So if you have any questions just ask.

Good look at getting on a course, I'm afraid I don't of any as my practice doesn't want me to do one. Hope some of the above is useful to you :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JGill

9 years 2 days ago #6644 by JGill
Does anybody out there know of any courses available for the CIL. I was given this post and am not sure what I am supposed to be doing? Any ideas ? Thanks

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New