× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Written exam help

9 years 1 week ago #6572 by BevG71
Cheryl I just qualified at age 43 out of education for 27 years - and terrified of studying again - trust me you will get to grips with it!

My technique with q&a book was to go through each section and questions I wasn't 100% sure of i listed in a little revision book - the list gradually got shorter and eventually I was getting most questions correct. It's just repetition.

Having said that don't just rely on q&a book as there are exam questions that are not in it.

Particularly look at chapter 3 in levisons as exam questions on legislation, gdc etc are heavily based on that section.

We also had a lot of ortho and denture questions last November.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 week ago #6571 by Cheryl5509
I have the questions and answers book. I opened it and read a couple of questions and shut it again. Far too intense. I feel like I'm studying to be a doctor!! Never thought it would be so hard to take in. Maybe it's because I'm a mature student (28) and have been out of education for 12 years. A girl at my placement gave me her questions and answers book which she completed before her exam. She only got 2 questions wrong throughout the book. I don't even know if I can get 2 questions right!

9 years 1 week ago #6568 by Dcorr8
Yeh levisons I find on some parts very hard to take in. Although if it helps a lot of people say just read your levisons because the exam is pretty much based on it. Have you used the question and answer book? I find it quite stressful...

9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #6565 by Cheryl5509
Hi Decorr8. I have just been using Levisons. The intake of information is frying my brain. I didn't realise the course would be so intense. I've got to admit I think I'm going to really struggle. I even considered pulling out from the course but I've paid a lot of money through a private training company and I'm not getting the support so I'm all on my own.

Thanks STaylor94 the tooth eruption info is really helpful

9 years 1 week ago #6564 by Dcorr8
Anyone got a simplified version of the different types of bacteria in the oral cavity and where they can be found?

9 years 1 week ago #6556 by Dcorr8
Thank you so much! That is so helpful!!

9 years 1 week ago #6555 by STaylor94
The questions and answer book should be your bible! My tutor recommended this so much as this has all the questions in it that could possibly come up in your exam. I also found Mosbys textbook of dental nursing helped me as it had useful diagrams and pictures whereas Levisons is just lots of reading!

For memorising eruption dates of deciduous and permanent teeth I found this an easy way:

First of all for deciduous teeth its :

A - 6 months
B - 8 months
C - 18 months
D - 12 months
E - 24 months

Just think of A,B,C,D and E and try to remember the sequence/rhythm of the numbers.

For permanent teeth, for each tooth apart from the first permanent molar which erupts age 6-7 and the 3rd permanent molar which erupts age 18-24, you just have to add six to each tooth number. So for example:

1 + 6 = the central incisor erupts age 7-8
2 + 6 = the lateral incisor erupts at 8-9
3 + 6 = the canine erupts at 9-10
4 + 6 = the first premolar erupts age 10-11
5 + 6 = the second premolar erupts age 11-12
6 = explained above
7 + 6 = the second molar erupts 13-14
8 = explained above

I hope this helps :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cheryl5509

9 years 1 week ago #6554 by Dcorr8
P.s any tips on how to learn eruption dates?!

9 years 1 week ago #6553 by Dcorr8
Hi cheryl. No matter how much I revise I feel like I'm getting no better with the question and answer book? What do you find good for studying? I'm trying to read my levisons mainly. Sitting my exam also in April!!

9 years 2 weeks ago #6542 by Cheryl5509
Thank you for replies. I am going to study all of the Levisons book. I also have the questions and answers book which seems quite scary as I have just started studying. Sometimes I think I am not capable but I'm sure I will get there. Exam is not until April 2016 so I have plenty time to study. Hopefully when I look at the questions and answers book nearer the exam date the questions and information will be crystal clear x

9 years 2 weeks ago #6541 by BevG71
I sat the written exam in November 2014, and the OSCE in January 2015, and happily have just qualified.

There were a lot of questions on both health & safety, GDC standards, legal & ethical issues.

I had relied heavily on the Questions & Answers book, which was great and a fantastic revision tool - I highly recommend it, however the way the questions on the aforementioned subjects were worded very heavily based on the Levisons book - make sure you particularly pay attention to Chapter 3 of the Levisons book.

If you want any other advice, feel free to email me on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - I know how you are feeling!

Best wishes.
Bev
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruiff

9 years 2 weeks ago #6539 by STaylor94
There was questions on both these things so I would definitely recommend revising them x x

9 years 2 weeks ago #6538 by Cheryl5509
Hi. I have just started training as a dental nurse. I am reading through the Levisons textbook and I just wondered if there is any questions in the exam about health and safety in the workplace and legal and ethical issues? I don't want to revise all of this information if it is not necessary. I do have good knowledge of this as it is very important. If I knew there was questions in the exam I would know to revise both topics.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New