× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

OSCE Exam - January 2015

8 years 10 months ago #6775 by Traaaaaa
I had my OSCE yesterday and i messed it up. I was too nervous and I think I failed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 10 months ago #6758 by Lornamci
Wish I could help but mines is tomorrow good luck and let us know how u found it xx

8 years 10 months ago #6754 by Simona1989
My exam 4:15 in Kensington
I am really nervous
Any one had exam already ? What stations there?

8 years 10 months ago #6750 by Lornamci
Haha same ! Well god luck to u ! I'm in at two so I can hopefully get some more studying fitted in . Oh u will do fine then I thought the written was really hard lol x

8 years 10 months ago #6749 by emmabrice94
yeah I thought the written was ok! I expected much worse. Hoping OSCE is the same I am sooooooooooooo nervous :sick:

8 years 10 months ago #6742 by Lornamci
Did u sit the written already ? Did u find that hard I still can't believe I passed that ! Was so hard

8 years 10 months ago #6741 by Lornamci
I hope not I doubt it I'm hoping it's just normal charting .. Aw god knows what time is your exam at ?
I've been practising my mixing today for like the first time ! Any other time I've just attempted it and the dentist has fixed it for me so hope that's one thing I might get right haha !

8 years 10 months ago #6740 by emmabrice94
ive been told to learn about burs and stuff too but other than that its all I can think of yeah.. I was told to learn ortho too although I hope to god that does not come up! Do you think we will have to do 3 point charting for perio on paper?! never done that before xxx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lornamci

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #6734 by Lornamci
Hi thanks for your reply I have been really struggling to revise I'm so nervous about it ! I have just been trying to ask myself questions n timing how long I take to answer so like fissure sealant advice n then talk about this but I'm only lasting about a minute and then I have ran out of things to talk about do you think we need to know about overbites and ovejet etc I'm not to good with ortho ?

8 years 10 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #6732 by Dcorr8

8 years 10 months ago #6730 by emmabrice94
hi! yes! I am doing it on saturday in Edinburgh I am sooo nervous.
Have not had any lessons from my training provider fo osce so I am struggling what I need to revise!
How are you revising? xx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lornamci

8 years 10 months ago #6727 by Lornamci
Hi is anyone on this sitting the osce next week ? Just looking to get some advice etc
Thanks

9 years 1 month ago #6540 by BevG71
OSCE was tough, but yaaay I passed! Very relieved not to have to sit it again!

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #6487 by cdcnurse
How did you find the osce exam this year?

9 years 2 months ago #6478 by Camilla
Hello Everyone,

I am also sitting my exam on the 31st and I am very nervous. I have a question regarding charting as in my practice we do everything electronically.

Just a quick question when charting manually, are we meant to show the difference between an amalgam restoration and a composite restoration ?
If yes how ?

X

9 years 2 months ago #6464 by LeanneB
Hi all

i am too sitting my exam on the 31st Jan at Leeds!

i am soo nervous i've heard all sorts about it and dont feel prepared there is just soo much to learn!

i'm hoping i get in there and its not as bad as i think it is like the written!

Was there anything in the exam about manual developing?

x

9 years 3 months ago #6455 by STaylor94
Hi Hollie,

It was written down before the scenario begins what the patient suffers from. You will need to know how to treat them though etc.

Don't hesitate to email me either :)

Stephanie x x x

9 years 3 months ago #6449 by Hollie4
Hello, im due to take the OSCE's in january too. I was wondering with the medical emergencies station, does the actor act out the signs and symptoms of the medical emergency or was it written on a board telling you what they were suffering from?

Thankyou

9 years 3 months ago #6441 by STaylor94
No problem

x x x

9 years 3 months ago #6440 by BevG71
Hi June

Thank you for your advice - I am taking it all on board! It is good to hear that the examiners are friendly.

Bev :)

9 years 3 months ago #6439 by BevG71
Thank you so much Stephanie - that advice is fantastic - I may well take you up on the offer of emailing you after Christmas!

Best wishes.

Bev Garratt x

9 years 3 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #6438 by STaylor94
Hi there,

I did my OSCE exam this June.
The exam was about an hour and I think there was about 10 stations which lasted 4 minutes each.

The first bit of advice I can give is at any station always introduce yourself and say 'please assume I am wearing PPE and that I've washed my hands' especially at any clinical stations and if there is any PPE in front of you be sure to put it on!

In consideration to the exam be sure to study, study, study everything you've been taught. They are very keen on important topics like medical emergencies, oral hygiene, fissure sealants, advice on dentures, mixing, charting etc. I really found that practicing on a family member helped. For example giving advice on key topics as mentioned before..Just basically talking to them like you would as a dental nurse at the surgery is the way do it. For example saying something like 'Hi there my name is Stephanie Taylor and I am a dental nurse at this practice and the dentist has asked me to give you some advice regarding your new dentures etc'. You just have to think that these are patients who don't really know anything and just keep it simple and clear and just practice the charting as much as you can.

On the OSCE stations where you have to give advice, you might find there is an object on the table to help you. For example, the station where we had to give advice on dentures, there was a leaflet about how to take care of them which you could give to a patient and on another station was a headteacher asking if a pupil had attended his dental appointment and a day list was on the table so we had to turn it over to keep confidentiality so be sure to always check the table to see if there is anything on there.

The hot medical emergency topics are fainting and diabetes attack but we got an epileptic seizure so be sure to study everything. As mentioned before timing yourself for 4 minutes and practising on a family member really helped me. Make sure you keep calm and be reassuring. Look to see if the patient is wearing anything like a scarf or a tie and loosen it if you can, remove anything heavy from their hands and say things like 'can we call someone to come and pick you up', 'would you like us to rearrange your appointment' 'did you take your medication this morning etc' - just be caring like I'm sure you already are.

With mixing they are very keen on alginate, kalzinol and Poly F. Practice at work as much as you can and if you're not happy with your mix be sure to explain to the examiner why - to runny..to much liquid..not enough powder etc. Make sure you always check the expiry date first, fluff the bottle, always put the lid back on and wipe the spatula - its the little things that make a big difference.

When you have finished at each station say thank you for very much and move to the chair within the zone - they explain everything before hand so don't get worked up about what you need to and there are always lost of helpers on hand to help if you're stuck at all.

Other stations we had was selecting instruments for a filling, explaining how we would sterilize a hand piece, labeling extraction forceps and showing how we prepare the work surface and selecting what we would need for a fluoride application and labeling faults on a radio graph.

The examiners were all friendly and only want to see you pass.

Study hard, keep calm and try your best.

I promise it wont be half as bad as you think.

Good luck.

Stephanie Taylor x x x
The following user(s) said Thank You: BevG71, Lornamci

9 years 4 months ago #6437 by jschofield
Hi Bev,

I did my exam last year;

We had to identify burs from photos, mix alginate and lay everything out for an impression and disinfection., talk an actor through a fissure sealant, help another actor who was having a diabetic hypo, help another actor who'd forgotten his glasses go through a medical history describing the risks of alcohol and smoking. mix GIC,
sorry I cant remember the rest, but these were the hardest.

The most important bit was to tell the examiner at each station was that youd put on your ppe and list what it is.
Some of our tests were too complicated to get done in the time so our tutor wrote to the NEBDN to complain. theres no actual pass mark, its done on the average of all the students who do the exam. our class all passed even though it didnt feel like it at the time.

The bell goes at the beginning of each station and then again at the end when you have to step away from the table. theres 2 rest stations with water and biscuits.
all the examiners and actors are very friendly, they know we are nervous and try to help us to relax.
Good Luck
June
The following user(s) said Thank You: BevG71

9 years 4 months ago #6435 by BevG71
Hi

I am due to sit my OSCE on 31st January 2015.

Can any nurses who have taken it over the last 2 years give me any tips/pointers on how to prepare, and what stations I can maybe expect?

Thank you in advance.

Bev

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New