× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Disinfection of prosthesis back from lab

9 years 7 months ago #6332 by Jude1
The idea is to decontaminate it , so put it all in the disinfectant , perform is great, and is compatible with all types of material.
Just discovered a new disinfectant on the market Cavaxsafe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 7 months ago #6329 by Rachael_S
You should only really use chlorhexidine if you know for sure that the patient is not allergic. Otherwise we use sodium hypochlorite (you just to make sure it's rinsed with water afterwards).

9 years 8 months ago #6323 by Ekw
Hi

We are now using presept before we had used perform...
We have a single large bath but have denture pots which we decant required presept as and when needed throughout the day. We have 13 chairs and 3 surgeries near by (hospital) so we don't have a bath for everyone as we don't do a lot of lab work in our department, our denture pots have lids so easily to have soaking once back from the lab. I'm always paranoid a patient will taste it as it smells awful!!

9 years 8 months ago #6320 by krey
Hi,
At my practice we use the same disinfectant we make up for the impressions.

We have 2 separate boxes:(different colours & labelled)

1.for contaminated (been in patient mouth) imps/wax try-in's etc.,
2.for work that hasn't been in the patients mouth yet.

We use an "own brand" impression disinfectant from one of the main UK dental suppliers. We haven't had any adverse issues.

Hope this helps.

9 years 8 months ago #6314 by MrsW
To be honest, I've been a dental nurse 10 years and have never been told to do this...?!?!
I always disinfect after it's been in the patients mouth before it goes back to the lab but never before it goes into the patients mouth :huh:

9 years 8 months ago #6304 by Flora
Just a bit of advice really. What do you all disinfect your work with when it comes back from the lab, before it goes in the patients mouth? Is a soak in chlorhex OK or does it need to be soaked in the same stuff that you disinfect impressions with?

Thanks

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New