× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

OSCEs June 2014

9 years 9 months ago #6307 by theresemc
Well done Zoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #6306 by Zoe1
I passed
The following user(s) said Thank You: DNN

9 years 10 months ago #6265 by Zoe1
www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?t...ument-identification
Great website for instrument recognition (it tests you) x good luck not long now x

9 years 10 months ago #6262 by Zoe1
Theresa don't even give it a second thought u have been a massive help ans made me feel so much better and gave me support when ît was very much needed, thank u xx

9 years 10 months ago #6250 by theresemc
I have to say a bit miffed re comment about giving away account of Osce exam. If you read the post properly it was a guide and was based on a mock Osce that we were given months before. Yes I did say that you would most certainly get either a feint or cardiac arrest come on we all know that will be at an Osce station. I did advise that you study things you don't normally do in your practice. I did not give a full blown account of the Osce exam I took that would be wrong. I have been a dental nurse for 30 years and was merely trying to give some guidance. Please read the post properly. Regards Therese

9 years 10 months ago #6248 by Zoe1
Theresa you have been a godsend and really appreciate your help and advice xxxxx

9 years 10 months ago #6246 by kta1986
Hi theresemc,

Just a polite post to say that I don't think you should be sharing what you were examined on in your previous OSCEs. Good luck to you both for the upcoming exams.

9 years 10 months ago #6236 by theresemc
Hi Zoe
Your first aid training will be good for the Osces you will almost certainly get a feint or cardiac arrest.

I got a feint on my Osces at a mock I was told to do this

1 you will come across a male female who is feeling feint
2 tell them you are going to assist them to the floor to as you said get some blood back to the head
3 raise their legs on to a chair ( there will be one there). Don't assume they can do this you will need to do this for them
4 loosen any tight clothing a tie on a man or maybe a scarf or tight top on a female
5 cool them down tell them you are going to open a window and put a fan on there will be props there for you to use.
6 Tell them when they are feeling a bit better you will assist them Ito a chair and make them a glucose drink explain it won't taste nice but will help.
7 while they are still recovering on the floor ask them how they got to the surgery. Did they drive walk or use public transport . Tell them you are not happy for them to go home alone or drive and ask for a phone number of a friend wife husband who can come and collect.
8 when you pretend to call reassure them that your patient is fine and has recovered bit you would be happier if they weren't going home alone.
9 ask them if they have eaten before there appointment this could explain their feint

10 put patient at ease they will probably be embarrassed

Grading x rays

We are digital so worried about this myself

On the exam if it comes up you will get 3 radiographs
You will need to grade 1 -3
1 is good you can see every thing clearly
2 will be fuzzy but you will still be able to define the teeth and make a diagnosis
3 parts will be missing eg the apex or half of the x ray
Don't worry you will be able to do this

You might have photos of films that have been damaged and have to say why

A dark film has been over exposed
developed or the developer temp too high

Clear film light exposure under developed temp too cold

Fuzzy film patient moved

Elongated film conning
Patches on film bad handling also creases

At this stage don't worry about your burs yes you may get asked but I think it is too late to learn now. Remember if you look at a bur you can often guess their purpose. Diamonds are cutting burs they feel rough and their shape is self explanatory. If it's smooth and tapered it will be a finishing or polishing bur. mandrels look those up it might come up . Rose heads for decay removal.

Look in your books for set up trays for different fillings RCT first and second stage. Composite fillings anterior and posterior amalgam fills. These could come up. You will get a choice of instruments and will have to set up a tray choosing from instruments on the table.

Also know your extraction instruments

I hope this has helped. Don't stress you will be fine remember you don't have to pass all the stations I flunked at at least 2 . Put your books away the day before and chill what you don't know by then too bad. You may not get asked any of the above just a guide.

Good luck Regards Therese

9 years 10 months ago #6233 by Zoe1
Hello Theresa, thank you so much for your response. It sounds really complicated . I know about medical emergencies as I'm a first aider but my training when someone is feeling faint is to lie them down and raise their feet do u think that's to much? Should I just ask them to lift their legs? Get the blood flowing? Also I'm going through instruments, dental charting, X-rays but have to learn manual X-rays,and grading X-rays, I'm learning, bpe charting, scalers, pre and post op for sedation, learning talking through removable appliances and fixed, I haven't got a clue about burs ( well I no friction grip and latch) could set up for a rct but we have try packs when doing fillings so wouldn't have a clue if something was not needed, yum think that's it lol I'm so nervous no one in my college class knows I've taken my exam early so college can't help that much with osces as no one else is doing them yet x I appreciate any help xx
Thank u x

9 years 10 months ago #6229 by theresemc
Hi Zoe
Second attempt at post!!!!
Your exam is in June my advise go over your course work and concentrate on revising things you don't undertake in your surgery. Orthodontics this will probably be at at least one of the stations. Sedation know the care advise before and after. It may be you do all of these you are lucky. Root canal know your instruments and what you will need for first and second stage. My dentist gave me this advise the week before my exam I wish I hadn't left it that late as a couple of the stations I had to wing it as we didn't do these procedures. I passed but have been at this for 30 years and this is the second time around for me having relocated to Spain at registration time. Don't sweat this too much most of the stations are procedures either practical or verbal and will be things you do every day. Remember if you are setting up a tray for fillings say an anterior composite only put the things on that will be needed not what your particular dentist uses mine always has an amalgam burnisher this has no place on the tray but it is what she likes. You will lose points if you select the wrong instruments. Put you books to one side the day before and on the day you may be concentrating too much on a particular procedure that may not even be on any of the stations. I wish you the very best of luck in the exam don't be too scared the people at the manned stations are very nice and we'll aware that you are nervous. Hope this helps. Regards Therese

9 years 11 months ago #6222 by Zoe1
Hi is anyone taking their OSCEs in June 2014?
Mine is on the Friday 13th eek I'm so nervous, I don't know hardly any instruments, I am good with medical emergencies and OH advice what's everyone thinking? X

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New