× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Male Dentist and Nurse doing Dommi visits

9 years 10 months ago #6210 by molargirl678
If you dont feel entirely comfortable doing something, then surely it is worth discussing this with your employer.

I am not sure what is it that you are uncomfortable with? From the way you have worded your question, it appears it is because you are both male. This shouldn't pose any significant harm, as two dental professionals working to provide good quality care for those who need it. Are you concerned that your visits might be misinterpreted? Perhaps this is simply your own worries manifesting themselves. Would two women doing the same thing cause you to feel uncomfortable?

I wouldnt think anything of it, Male or female.

Domicillary visits are for providing those who are unable to access dental care by usual means and is a way of reducing the barriers to care in the community. That is all.

Have a think about why things feel so wrong for you and address those issues firstly.

All the best : )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 10 months ago #6209 by Ekw
Hi there

I can see where you are coming from but I don't think you have anything to worry about. I used to go on domm visits with a female dentist (I'm also female) and we went to male patients at their homes. I think if there is any concern you can always double check at the booking appt which I assume is by phone if your patient is happy for male team to attend, I used to have several patient who requested female team only there's nothing wrong with asking, if its in a residential home or day centre there will be other staff coming and going and some will stay put while your there so it shouldn't really be an issue. Hope this helps.

9 years 10 months ago #6206 by pablo79
Would just like to hear other Nurses views on how they feel about two male Dental professionals going out to do Dommi visits together.

Is it ok?

I have spoken to a representative from the GDC and there is no legal issues with this happening. They say it completely acceptable.

I ask, because I am a male dental nurse and have recently been asked by my employer to do such visits with a male Dentist, I am not sure if I am comfortable with this and am interested in hearing what other professional nurses think.

Thanks in advance.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New