× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Too old to be a Dental Nurse?

9 years 9 months ago #6280 by mitch17
Hi Belle 21 :)

I started a dental nursing course in October 2013 and I'm 46 turning 47! I'm finding part of the modules quite challenging as it's been many years since I've had to study or take exams. I do get stressed over it at times and I dread the thought of taking the practical exam but it's nice to see I'm not the only "old one" after reading some of the posts on this topic. It's nice to share thoughts and feelings :)

I wish you luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #6277 by tanyaaba
I am also 45 and I started very late dental nursing. I have degree in art from my country. It's difficult to live as an artist here, when I decided to live in UK I started reception job in dental practice and then train as dental assistant. This job was giving me the money to live. I have moved 3 times and every time was very easy to find job as dental nurse. It's not my favourite job but I respect the security I have and interaction with patients. It's satisfactory to know that you can comfort somebody in distress. Hope you will enjoy your new career. Good luck!

9 years 10 months ago #6266 by nicky.hall2@nhs.net
I THINK YOU HAVE GUTS BUT YOU WILL ENJOY IT .IM AM 45 AND STARTED WHEN I WAS 17 STILL GOING.;;;

9 years 10 months ago #6218 by pballard
Hi no I don't think 34 is too old im 47 now and still enjoy Dental Nursing.
I was about 33 when I started training. :)

9 years 11 months ago #6208 by shazza
Not too young at all. I'm 43!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: pballard

9 years 11 months ago #6205 by Belle21
Thank you Flora that's really encouraging.

Are you working as a dental nurse currently and if so it is something you enjoy?

9 years 11 months ago #6199 by Flora
I don't think 34 is too old at all! I trained at a dental hospital so I was there full time working in the hospital and having class days to work towards my exam. There was a range of ages in my 'class' from 17-40s. I am sure a dentist looking for a trainee nurse would love to employ someone with your skills. Go for it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belle21

9 years 11 months ago #6197 by Belle21
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this! I have always mulled over dental nursing but it seemed to pass me by and I ended up being a massage therapist. Anyway I have been doing this for around 10yrs and though I love it, the money is not great (and before you say it I know there are no millionaire dental nurses but my pay is even lower than this) and it is physically very tough. There is no more room for progression I have done it all - employed, self employed, aromatherapy, hot stone, lava shell, aromatherapy, trigger point etc etc.

I am married with a 3yr old and I feel that now she's off to part time school it's my chance in the next year or so to do what I would really love to get my teeth into (excuse the pun!). Is 34 too old? Do dentists prefer to employ fresh young pretty 23yr olds? I do have a lot of customer service and communication experience but would I be wasting my time even applying? Has anyone on here gone into this field a little later in life?

Thank you for any help! :) x

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New