× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Dental Nurse Representation Bodies

9 years 11 months ago #6188 by HRussell
I agree with you about representation for us Dental Nurses.

It seems to me that a lot of people don't see us as Nurses because we aren't General Nurses, where does it say to be classed as a Nurse you have to be a RGN?
Dental Nurses have always had poor representation. When I worked in the hospital system the General Nurses used to go mad if we had a cost of living pay increase! It was really silly, there used to be a lot of comments that we weren't proper Nurses etc.
We all joined a union over time as various things came up and we all felt we needed someone on our side and to fight our corner, it was recommended to us by one of the Consultants. If I can remember right it was called Usdaw.

As much as I really enjoy Dental Nursing and the challenges that have come along I can completely understand why a lot of Nurses leave the profession and do something totally different.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #6179 by cstirrup
Hi All,
in the news recently (Feb 2014) it was announced that General Nurses registration fee with the NMC will go up from £100 to £120 per annum. Their representative bodies are all in up-roar and starting petitions against the rise. Where is our representation and voice. Sometimes i feel that we are just left to it.

Nurses start on Band 5 and above where as a qualified dental nurse is on £8.50 ish an hour.
Since registration Dental Nursing (in my opinion) is still not seen (by the powers above) as a profession (or they don't see all the hard work involved). Yes we are extending our duties which is great but these extensions of our roles and our everchanging, more demanding work is still not reflected in our pay.

I know i am moaning but i feel that other professions get better representation and a bigger voice than us Dental Nurses.

It would be nice to know if anyone else feels the same.

I love my role and take great pride in my work, my attitude and care has not changed since registration byt my purse has been emptied somewhat !!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New