× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Pain relief for patients....do we or don't we?

9 years 11 months ago #6176 by Ekw
Hi there,

We also wouldn't give pain relief either we would tell them what to buy occasionally prescribe but not very often. We do keep a small stock of liquid paracetamol for kids or teens for after surgicals but with hospital pharmacy wouldn't stock us with much as its costly and you'd end up keeping tablets and liquid as not all people take tablets it'd be never ending. I think advising or prescribing is fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hippykat82

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #6173 by HRussell
We have never given it to patients, the dentist would normally issue a prescription for them.

Most of the time the patients would have been taking some sort of pain relief anyway before they got to see us. Don't think I've know a patient not to take anything if they were in pain.

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hippykat82

9 years 11 months ago #6170 by hippykat82
If a patient comes in with severe pain, and asks us if we have Ibuprofen or Paracetamol for them to take there and then, are we allowed to give to the patient (even with clear MH) or not? We have this come up alot, and all the time we say no, but it breaks my heart seeing people in pain, and wondered if anyone knew if it was OK to give or not????? Thanks.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New