× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

trainee dental nurse

9 years 11 months ago #6204 by pablo79
Hi there.

These comments make me smile very much LOL!!!!

I too remember my first day as a trainee, and yes I too felt the same way. It is totally normal to feel like that, in fact if you didn't, I would say you were maybe in the wrong job. It will get easier and things will start to make sense especially when you start studying the academic side of dental nursing.

Just be yourself, ask questions if you are unsure of something, that shows that you are keen about the role you are training for and interested in learning. I am sure your employer will appreciate you more for asking and being interested ,rather than just keeping quiet and going with the flow.

Keep us informed and good luck x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #6193 by LeanneB
Hey,

i'm also a trainee dental nurse :) i absolutely love it!

do you have another nurse in there with you or are you by yourself?
The nurse that has being training me has being amazing! She goes on maternity in 2 weeks though so i'll be all by myself until next may!

But the first few days i thought **** how on earth am i going to do this by myself!
i wouldnt do anything else now!

x

9 years 11 months ago #6177 by Smith12
Hi There

This is completely normal I have been in the job nearly 10 years and remember feeling exactly the same way. At our practice every new trainee that starts feels like this and within a few weeks you get into the swing of things. There seems to be so much to remember but its all quite repetitive so soon becomes routine.

It can be a very stressful job at times dealing with grumpy dentists or patients but I have always tried to not take anything personally and just try to start each day with a fresh mind.

I wish you the best of luck in your training. :)

9 years 11 months ago #6175 by n12345
Thank you so much for replying.

Im glad that others have felt this way too and im not the only one.

Today was my second day at nursing and I didn't feel as bewildered as I did yesterday, I still feel pretty useless around the surgery but I hope with time I can learn to cope with everything.

Thanks again, and if I have any other concers i will definitely ask! (:

9 years 11 months ago #6172 by HRussell
Hi there,

It is totally normal to feel overwhelmed by it all.

I remember thinking oh my god what the hell have I done I'm never going to remember all of this.
It does get better, you soon start to see the patterns and routines, it's like anything in life the more you do it you more you understand it and it becomes second nature. Plus, once you start studying on the course things will come together as well.

I started out nearly 20 years ago and I have gone on to do various things and changed roles along the way. I really enjoy being part of the dental industry and wouldn't want to be in any other professional. In saying that, I did think about doing veterinary nursing but went with dentistry as I felt that was more for me.

I wish you lots of luck with everything and don't be afraid to ask things because we are all here to help. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: n12345

9 years 11 months ago #6169 by n12345
Hi there,

I have recently started a new job as a trainee dental nurse. I am on my fifth day and I have already started my practical nursing. I am feeling extremely overwhelmed and I am doubting my ability to be able to do the work because I really have no idea what I'm doing. Did anybody else feel like this? Does it get ever get any better?
Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New