× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Qualified but on National Minimum Wage

10 years 3 months ago #5935 by whitelock
I agree with JellyBean! The fact that they paid you £2.65 says it all... :blink: That's disgusting that they' dare do that!! It also shows what kimd of people they are for making you pay your own registration etc. I've never had to pay for mine, both my old and current practice pay for those and so they should!
I hope you are able to find a job closer to home where you are appreciated much more!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 4 months ago #5900 by Jellybean
I would look for a new job.
It doesn't sound like they have taken your commute,child etc into account at all. If they really wanted to keep you they would show it in your pay. esp after qualifying!
I can't understand how they paid you £2.65 an hour and I feel that begs a question of what kind of nurse they want...because to me it sounds like they just want cheap labour.
Find somewhere new,closer to home where you are wanted and paid what you deserve

xx

10 years 4 months ago #5897 by Mary251
Hi all!

I just wanted to get some outside opinions on my current situation, because I'm rather cheesed off about it.

I finished my NVQ level 3 in dental nursing 6 weeks ago. I was on an apprenticeship,so,even though I am 27,for the first year my bosses paid me £2.65 an hour, and only increased it to national minimum wage in April because I had been with them for a yearand they were legally obliged to do so. Since I qualified, pay has not been mentioned, and I got tired of waiting for them to bring it up, so today I asked outright if I would be getting a wage increase now I am qualified. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would not be getting a raise as I had received a large raise earlier this year, even though that raise was not through their choice but what they had to give me by law. I'm only part time as I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia earlier this year, and literally all of my money goes on the cost of my commute (I live 35 miles from my workplace) and childcare costs. Now I'm qualified and have to pay GDC registration, union membership and indemnity, I'm really concerned that my wages will not cover all of my outgoings. Surely I should be earning more as a qualified DN than I was when I was training?

Am I being oversensitive or are my bosses being out of line?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New