× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Antibiotic Prescribing Audit

10 years 5 months ago #5845 by Allison
Hi Smilyflid,

We have antibiotics on sit at our practice and I'm in charge of them.

What I do is keep a log book of what comes in and what goes out. So, say we order 10 boxes of amoxy 250mg, they go in a book, with date ordered and from which company. Then, in separate columns, log the batch number and best before date, date prescribed and patients name, then initials of who have administered them. I do an audit every week to check what we have in stock to make sure nothing has been taking without being signed (initialled) for. This goes the same for all the antibiotics we stock, a page for each one.

It sounds more complicated written down like this than it does in a book, but it's all you need to do to keep a record of the antibiotics you are giving out. We keep a log the same for each surgery taking LA from stock too.

Also, when we administer antibiotics it goes into the patients computer notes too along with the price what they pay us for them so we can follow from paper record of the book to each patient if we need to.

Hope I haven't confused you too much :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 5 months ago #5836 by smileyflid
Hi
Dont know if anyone out there can help. But at the practice we have recently starting keeping antibiotics on site.

i am unsure how to go about auditing this, does anyone out there have any ideas or links?

Thanks in advance
Smileyflid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New