× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Dental nursing when pregnant - Advice needed

10 years 6 months ago #5773 by whitelock
So long as you stand the 2m away there shouldn't be a problem!
With regards to telling your employer, you do NOT have to tell them until 15 weeks before the beginning of the week the baby is due!! Don't be forced into telling them if you do not feel comfortable with it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 8 months ago #5710 by kittykat
I'm sure the risk is really low if you're out of the controlled area etc but you need to inform your employer. This is from IRR 1999;

[i]Female employees must be informed by their employer of:

The possible risk arising from exposure to the foetus and to a nursing infant
The importance of informing their employer in writing as soon as possible after becoming aware of their pregnancy, or if they are breastfeeding

Good luck with you pregnacy :)

10 years 8 months ago #5709 by Sunshinesmile
Hi, I am hoping that someone in the forum could help me out with a condrum. I am a dental nurse of 10 years. I have just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant and whilst most areas of my job are not a problem I am worried about being in the room with xrays being taken while I am pregnant. Should I worry or with the use of fast films and short exposure times coupled with colomaters and the fact that we have to stand 2 meters away whilst an xray is taken does it mean that it is safe? We don't have lead aprons in our practice and my bosses are going to notice if I start diving out the door every time an xray is taken!

To complicate matters I had a miscarriage in March, and so I am hyper worried this time round. It is also making me reluctant to tell my boss yet about the pregnancy at this early stage and I really want to wait until the 12 week mark.

Any help much appreciated.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New