× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

advise please

10 years 8 months ago #5719 by Melissa_TPD
I was going to mention about the putty being mixed with latex gloves, I was wearing gloves when mixing some putty once and the dentist asked me weather I was wearing latex or not (I was wearing latex free as im allergic) and he was like 'oh okay that's fine' so maybe your dentist wants you to taken them off as he thinks your wearing latex, when he next ask's you to take them off, just mention that they are latex free.? And see what he says, if he is already aware of that or not?

Melissa xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 8 months ago #5713 by kayleighcollins
I have seen it written on the exafast putty tub lid that you shouldn't wear latex gloves because it "could retard the impression" but as we never wear latex gloves, it makes no difference to us. Perhaps this is why?

10 years 8 months ago #5711 by kittykat
Are the gloves you use sterile?
If not, and your hand hygiene is good, then you are no more likely to transfer microorganisms from your hand than from the gloves. I suppose the only exception would be if you had cuts or abrasions on your hands (but they should be covered anyway).
I get your point about patient perception though, we must not under estimate the importance of our patients having every confidence in their HCP and the cross infection control procedures.

10 years 8 months ago #5705 by y27
All my instruments are kept in sealed bags after sterilisation and I don't open them until I am ready to use them with my gloves on. I think it is wrong to take my gloves off to mix the putty that is then going in to the patient's mouth. I wouldn't want to see that happen if I was the patient.

10 years 8 months ago #5697 by janet123
I don't see the problem with you taking your gloves off for this. If you have scrubbed your hand properly then there shouldn't be enough microorganisms on your hand to cause an infection control risk. If the tools you are using to mix materials are always touched after you washed your hands then there isn't a risk of cross infection.

10 years 8 months ago #5691 by ania
Of course you have right to refuse! I was in identical situation as you and I flatly refused dentist to take my gloves off. I do have allergies so I used that as excuse. But I don't believe you need an excuse- mixing putty without gloves it is unhygienic, and makes putting a gloves back on extremely difficult. If he wants putty to be mixed without gloves he need to do it himself.

10 years 8 months ago #5689 by y27
HI, I could do with some advise please. As you know as DCP infection control is the highest priority, so when I work with my dentist he insists I take off my gloves to mix crown prep putty impression material. I am extremely uncomfortable with this as we all know we may wash our hands but you cant remove 100% of the germs. He insists when I am wearing gloves it reacts with the putty making it not set, I have mixed the putty material before for 2 other dentists with gloves on for the last 4 years and it sets just fine every time and they never complained or insisted I remove my gloves. I don't feel comfortable removing my gloves to mix the putty, do I have the right to refuse even if he insists ??? I don't understand how we have to wear some much PPE all the time but no gloves for this ????
Any advise would be gratefully received.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New