× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

how hard is it to become a dental nurse?

10 years 10 months ago #5663 by ShowMeYourTeeth
Hello,

I'd say it's not difficult to get an interview/job as a trainee dental nurse, as you just need to show that you have qualities they look for (good customer service skills, awareness of regulatory bodies and what infection control is - even if you don't know the details, willingness to learn, interest in the job, reliability, etc.) and be willing to train.

An employer should be supportive in getting you trained, so check that they will do that (even though you must be qualified or on a course to nurse, some surgeries will try to get away with it!).
Also, sorry to sound negative, but find out about staff turnover - if a practice has a high staff turnover then there is usually a reason why.

If you're not sure it's for you, it might me worth calling a couple of practises to see if you can shadow a nurse for a day - they might require you to do a CRB check first, but it will give you an insight into the day-to-day life of nursing.

With the right team, it can be a great job and very rewarding B)
Hope this helps!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 10 months ago #5658 by chel262
Thanks for the advice, how much did your course cost?

And, i didn't it was possible to get a job in a practice without training first?

Where did you do your training course? Do you know any good ones in London?

10 years 10 months ago #5656 by Małgosia
Hey, I started to work as a trainee dental nurse three years ago. I passed The National Examining for Dental Nurses in London. I had a great supported team at work.Studying is quite daunting, but worth it.I did not manage to pass on the first try Oral because it was very, very stressful(you have only 5 minutes to answer in).You have to collect the record of experience before you will get a exam.I studied day and night.My practice paid off my course :lol:

I wish you all the Best

10 years 10 months ago #5654 by Jellybean
Hi!

I think the easiest thing to do is apply for a job at a practice or hospital. You have to be qualified or on a course to work as a nurse anyway.

I got a job as a trainee and my practice paid on and put me on a course (I have to stay for 2 years or pay them back)
My course was with Dentain which was distant learning. I had to do a Record of experience through out a year and then had 2 exams - one written one practical.

It was hard work but if I can pass I'm pretty sure anyone can!

There are differant kinds of courses too. I would defo recommend you get a job in practice/hospital first! Experience is the best way to learn!

Ali

10 years 10 months ago #5651 by chel262
what sort of training is required? How long does it take to get qualified?

any advice and tips on becoming a dental nurse?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New