× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New Sharps Legislation

10 years 9 months ago #5688 by Louisebe
Hi
After careful consideration and reading all the articles based on this subject, yet again another grey area! We are just using safety plus system and normal sharps containers.
Complete a risk assessment, identify the hazards and remove?? What if your team practices safe sharps handling and you have no record of sharps injuries... do we still follow the guidelines and move onto a system such as safety plus??

So many practices still using the normal methods, others gone to initial to get the new systems and us... we have completed the risk assessment and gone safety plus route.
Although now... Initial rep now said we need different sharps containers too??? :S

Oh dear.... the more I have read, the more confused I get!!!! Any help and advice welcomed.

Loulou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 11 months ago #5375 by Ekw
Hi there,

I've not used metal syringes for many years now all our old stock when the safety plus came out was disposed of as it could not be used. So I would assume if your clinician was happy I'd get it all removed and replaced with the safety plus needles and handles. There is a new disposable safety plus handle, I am currently calculating how much a year we would spend buying these compared to the price yearly for the original ones to be sterilised as it could prove costly!
Hope this is helpful

10 years 11 months ago #5360 by gemalice90
:huh: ~As im sure everybody is aware a new sharps legislation has been put in to place.
We are now fully stocked with the saftey plus syringes but can anyone tell me if we can no longer use the old metal syringes to get rid of my Hdent needel stock or do i need to dispose of it all??

Thanks

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New