× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Dental Nursing Qualification

11 years 4 weeks ago #4822 by HRussell
Oh my goodness me lol.
Well at least that's something, it's only fair they do allow you to do that as it is related to your job.

Just remember no matter how grateful you are that they are paying for you to do the course they don't own you. They don't have the right to work you into the ground and demand more things from you (I have known that to happen).

I love everything I have been a part of in Dentistry and have found it a very rewarding career but I've done it for me and no one else.

I wish you lots of luck with the course and look forward to seeing you post questions once you get started :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 1 month ago #4806 by adam.manhertz
It came to light today that they will give me (and other trainees) a day out of surgery to concentrate on our coursework which I suppose is something, at least they recognise that we can't spend all of our free time doing the course.

Just for the record, I love being a Dental Nurse and am very grateful that the company (no matter how bad it is) is paying for the course.

I am sure I will be asking lots of questions when I start my course :D

11 years 1 month ago #4779 by HRussell
It will be a struggle for you, you must be dreading the thought of it all.
A lot of employers don't care unfortunately, trainees are cheap labour for them. I've known of some practices to get rid of the trainees once they qualify so they don't have to start paying them a wage!
It's quite shocking some of the things I've seen and heard over the years.

If you struggle with assignments etc just post on here cos I'm sure we'll all help you out. Don't be afraid to ask. :)

11 years 1 month ago #4729 by adam.manhertz
I have asked about going to college and basically the answer is no... I would much prefer college personally as I believe it is a great learning environment...

The worse thing of all, the course takes just as long as it would if I was going to college... So I work a minimum of 40 hours a week and they seem to think I am going to have the time to spend hours doing my course.... I want to be a DN, but no matter how hard working I am I think it will be a struggle...

11 years 1 month ago #4684 by HRussell
Do you know it's all wrong what a lot of these employers do to their trainees. I'm an assessor and time and time again I've seen trainees worked to death and given no time off to study.

Spare time? What spare time? lol

I did day release once a week to college when I trained. It was a great way to do it as you were able to chat to other trainees about their practices etc and the tutor was really good, she really knew her stuff.

I don't suppose you could try to talk to your boss about you not feeling happy about doing the online course and say you would feel much happier if you could do it at college instead? :)

11 years 1 month ago #4666 by adam.manhertz
I think they are doing it (even though they never would admit it) just so they don't have to pay me for being at college, but instead expect me to work 40hrs+ a week AND do a course in my spare hours...

I was hoping to be sent to college but that does not look like it is going to happen :(

11 years 1 month ago #4648 by HRussell
Hey there,

I personally think you can't beat going to college and having face to face contact with a tutor.
Why is your practice doing it this way? Isn't there a local college or private training provider that you could do the course with?
I wouldn't want to do an online course, all the courses I've done have been in conjunction with the local colleges or universities. It's nice to know that you have regular contact with a tutor and other trainees as we all need help sometime or another whilst doing courses.

I was asked once to do an online course and it was a nightmare, my tutor never answered her phone and didn't offer any form of support. I stopped doing the course and eventually found a college who did it at night, it was much better.

I did the National at college then sat the exam at the areas Dental Hospital (you can still do this). I qualified mid 90s so I'm a bit of an oldie at this dental lark or as most would say "experienced" lol :)

11 years 1 month ago #4629 by adam.manhertz
Hey, my work place has enrolled me on an 'online' dental nursing course in which I will receive an advanced diploma in dental nursing at the end. It is with the smile course (so I am told) and I was just wondering if this is a good qualification to have as a dental nurse? I only ask because my colleagues are on it at the moment and are telling me it won't really lead to anything more...

While you're here, what qualification do you have and when did you get it? :D

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New