× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Cold Sore Policy!

10 years 11 months ago #5381 by kittykat
We refuse to treat patients with active cold sores too, not worth the risk. We have educated our principal dentist as he was fine seeing patients with cold sores but the nurses were not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 11 months ago #5334 by Jude
Thanks for the comments guys! its been most helpful

we are trying to educate from the patients point of view... a poster is ready to go up in the waiting room!

:)

11 years 2 weeks ago #4906 by seakiki11
We have a huge sign saying to rebook but my dentist just saw a private patient even though she had cold sore........there is no option for nurses of not to be put at risk.....unfortunately :silly:

11 years 1 month ago #4738 by Max
We always rebook as the danger to blindness being caused from this Virus.

11 years 1 month ago #4737 by Max
We always rebook as the danger to Blindness could occur if the infection is spread.

11 years 2 months ago #4395 by rachaelb
We do not treat patients with an active coldsore as the virus is very infectious. If they require emergency treatment we would do minimal until the coldsore has gone to avoid spreading it. we'd also cover it in vaseline before treating for an emergency. If you touch it you could spread it over a pts face/soft tissues and for example if there is a defect in your glove etc it could get onto your own skin, into fingernails etc. We would always re-appoint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jude

11 years 2 months ago #4360 by HRussell
We had patients that would cancel if they had cold sores but a lot of the time the dentists would not see them and asked for them to be rebooked.
So it generally went that if they had cold sores they wouldn't be treated.
Patients were always ok about it, we never had anyone kick off.

11 years 2 months ago #4349 by rita6
Our patients do come in with cold sores sometimes and we have never turned anyone away. We wear gloves and if the cold sore is on the right we will work on the left being carefull not to stretch the lips. Sometimes patients will phone but very rarely and I will say if the cold sore is still weepy then it might be an idea to reappoint you. Most agree as the only reason they are phoning is because they dont wont to come in that day anyway and wont me to say not to come in. Patients are crafty. But at least they have phoned to say so they get a tick in my book as a considerate patient.

11 years 2 months ago #4211 by Jude
I'm updating our cold sore policy

does anyone have any advice?

is it a general "have cold sore no non urgent treatment"

should we display this in the waiting room?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New