× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Personal question: Unhelpfull mother

11 years 3 months ago #3288 by Hay
Thank you for the advise, I have looked into the safe gaurding manual but without a dentist to confirm there isnt much I can do, Im feeling very close to calling social services but as I am the only one who as seen the teeth (they are so decayed you cant see them when he smiles now) I dont want her to know it was me incase she cuts off contact (she did this to another relative that told her off about smoking in the house)
I will print off some photos to show her
He does have problems eating solid foods but her solution is to give him baby food/milk, as we know this is not an apporiate diet for a 2 year old.
Thank you so much for advise

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 3 months ago #3287 by MummyDentalNurse
you could tell her that if the baby teeth are bad and abcessed then it will / might effect the adult teeth underneath and the child may end up with no front teeth or dead dark grey front teeth? its also classed as neglect esp if they are / have complained of pain and she hasnt taken them to a dentist. she doesnt even have to pay!
im shocked and this is something the social services may get involved in. if they turnt up at my surgery i would be looking at the safeguarding children information to see if its a good enough reason to report them and raise the concerns with my boss.
you could print off and show her some photos? and say do you want your childrens teeth to look like that?
x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hay

11 years 3 months ago #3270 by Hay
:unsure: Hiya, I have a personal question..
My nephew's both have bad carries on all their decidious teeth. They are 1 and 2, iv taken a quick look and the older one has such bad decay both a's are down to the roots and have abcesses. The younger one has early decay, they both go to bed with milk/hot chocolate in a bottle and the mother doesnt brush their teeth in the evenings. I have informed on the implications but she does not seem to care and wont take them to the dentist..obviously I am highly concerned but I dont know what else I can do. Her mother told her not to take him to the dentsit becuase they're teeth will exfloliate on their own.
Does anyone have any adivce or scare tactics into getting her to take better care of her children? My brother dosent seem to care either.

Thanks

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New