× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Uniform / PPE

11 years 2 months ago #4104 by MLA
Hi,
yes, the prices are very different depending on where you look.
My own experience is, that a good quality set, top and bottom, cost around £50 pounds.
This quality I am talking about,is really good, can be washed in more than 60 degrees, try quickly and will not need any ironing.
Of course you can find quite cheap uniforms but from what I have seen, you get what you pay for.
Some look like they need to be ironed once per hour...and lose colour after a few weeks.
Now, working full time, I would try get two sets. The employer has a duty to provide PPE. Now, I know that some people would argue that a uniform isn't part of PPE but...I think it is.Luckily now a days, we can get tax relief for washing our work uniforms so it is not that bad. Just the hassle of doing it really.
If your employer rather wish, a washing machine at the work place could be the way forward. Wash one set during the day (well, everyone's)and let it dry over night so next day when you arrive it is clean and dry, ready to put on! Then load the machine with next load and so on. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 2 months ago #4035 by kdawg123
i work 6 days a week and ive only got 1 pair of scrubs!!
absoloute nightmare!

11 years 3 months ago #3174 by Jellybean
£50 per set?! maybe they should look at another website!

11 years 4 months ago #3115 by sam_stoddart
we have scrubs, im told they cost about £50 per set, even the dentists only have 2 sets of uniform, i work 5 days a week how can i possibly only have 2 sets of uniform. i dont want to come accross as demanding as ive only just started - the label in the uniform says wash at 40 degrees. the dentist i work for has dark blue / black and she washes them at 60degrees and has said they are all bubbling and gone fluffy.(i said this was because they have to be washed at 40degrees)
we dont have a manager but i might email our head nurse and practice owner / prinicipal dentist to say i have noticed that the uniform can only be washed at 40 degrees and i thought they had to be washed at 60 degrees and after every wear and i only have 2 sets of uniform with no tumble dryer. do you think this is reasonable and im not looking to bossy?
thanks

11 years 4 months ago #3111 by MLA
Hello,
At my practice we get two sets per year. They can be washed in 60 degrees and are really owned by the practice(as they are paid by the practice) but in reality seen as personal.
So, if we work two days, lets say Monday and Tuesday, they are both washed in 60 Degrees and fresh for Wednesday and Thursday.
If you do not have a tumble dryer, you can always put them on the radiators. I do, and then they are warm and nice in the morning!
As you can claim back the money for washing, it is up to you to wash and dry them.

:)

11 years 4 months ago #3103 by Jellybean
at my practice we just got new uniforms (after a LOT of hinting over the past few years!!) we all got 3 pairs of navy scrubs which can be washed at 60. I believe they're also cheaper to buy than what we had before (blue tunics and plain black trousers from m&s - not good!)
I think it ending up costing something like £8 per set as they were on offer. I think they're great and so easy to wash and iron

11 years 4 months ago #3095 by Ekw
Hi there

All our staff have uniforms for everyday which is what you should be getting. I've not worked in a practice for nearly 10years but I do remember it wasn't unusual to be given an old uniform, but you would think now you principal or dentist would know or have checked to ensure you had enough uniforms. I didn't know you could get uniforms that would be washed under 60 maybe they are unaware of this? You could subtly let them know by "confirming" your uniform can't be washed at 60 degrees. I hope you get things sorted out.

11 years 4 months ago #3091 by HRussell
I always had a set for each day I worked so that was 5 sets and they were brand new. No one was ever given old uniforms.

Why is it your uniforms can only be washed at 40 degrees?

Can you talk to the principle dentist/practice manager about it?

11 years 4 months ago #3081 by sam_stoddart
I wanted to start this topic as im sure im not the only one in this situation regarding uniform.
i work 5 days a week and only have 2 sets of uniform! how many does everyone else have? i cant possibly wash them every night and dry and iron them every 2 days! i do not own a tumble dryer! surely i should have at least 3? and they have to be new right, they cant be giving me other peoples old uniform, as its classed as PPE that they provide it has to be new, how do i approach this subject? ive just started a new job been here 3 weeks and i have only just got my uniform - of which its old and belonged to someone else before me.

better yet the uniform can only be washed at 40degrees this is a big no no and i dont even want to wear it as i KNOW it has to be washed at 60 degrees everyday and on its own etc. im really confused as to why all the staff even the dentists are all in this uniform knowing it can not be washed any higher than 40degrees, ive just started and i dont want to throw my weight around but it is really really wrong.

any ideas on what i can do? and has anyone else found themselves in this situation?

thanks and sorry for the long post!

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New