× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Pay rise after qualifying

11 years 3 months ago #3244 by Hay
Hiya, I qualifed last year and my pay rise was very dissapointing, (less than £1) I got the excuse 'im young and newly qualifed so' even though other nurses got ALOT more than me. (I am no longer working there)
In my experince nurses 8-9ph is normal, but I would try and aim higher because as you're newly qualifed they may try and offer you very little. hope this helps!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 3 months ago #3175 by Jellybean
I'll pass that on to her! Thanks!

11 years 4 months ago #3114 by sam_stoddart
i worked there 7 years ive now left, (with another large payrise)
I dont know of any practices im afraid i have just come from one in Huntingdon and they have 3 hygienists (of which 2 are therapists) i now work in another surgery and they have 1 that works full time and are not in need of another.
my husband is in the forces too where will she be based? if she needs any help / advice i know cambridgeshire is a big place but if shes around the huntingdon / alconbury area i might be able to be of some help with seeing if a practice is nice etc as ive worked in the area for over 7 yrs and know alot of nurses etc as ive come from a very large practice.
sam x

11 years 4 months ago #3104 by Jellybean
That sounds like a nice pay rise!! how long have you worked there?!

Our hygienist (we only have one!) is going to be moving to Cambridgeshire In March (possibly before) I don't suppose you know of any practices that may be looking for one? She is completely fantastic and is only leaving as her husband is in the forces! I said I would ask for her

11 years 4 months ago #3079 by sam_stoddart
Im in Cambridgeshire and i got quite a large payrise after qualifying, i dont work for the NHS directly but work in a practice that sees NHS and private patients, i get around 19,000 a year and that includes all CPD and GDC fee's paid for and thats working a 36 hour week.
hope this helps

11 years 4 months ago #3025 by davidrnpm
You need to register with NHS Jobs and apply for a position in community dental services as dental nurses are all Band 4 starting at just over £17,000 upto £21,000 unless you have been employed by a trust / PCT then you would start off at the bottom of band 4 and work up every year.

I have worked in many practices and I think that a £2,000 a year pay rise is good compared to what other practices will offer. Corperate practices are even worse e.g. IDH / Oasis hell will freeze over before you get a payrise or offered a position on more than your on if you try and get a job in a corperate

My advice try and get in to community.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jellybean

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #2993 by Jellybean
-
thank you for replying to my post all that time ago guys!

11 years 6 months ago #2849 by Ekw
Hi there,

I also work Monday to Friday 8:30-5pm. I also work extra hours outwith 5pm especially when working in theatre but this is also taken as time in lieu. I am based in Edinburgh. From what i know from working in other places such as community in a nother city the pay was the same pay banding regardless of what city you are in, its done on purpose to make pay fair for the nurses, although in some areas up north such as Shetland/orkney they can sometimes be slightly altered due to the rural areas so travelling would obviously cost more if you worked there. There seems to be a massive vary on payscales for dental nurses depending on where you work and what your employer is willing to pay but if you have extra skills or are training in extra skills then if your in practice you should be able to ask for a wage review. Hope this is helpful as information for you. anything else just ask.

11 years 6 months ago #2845 by Jellybean
I work 8.45-5.30 Monday-thursday with 1HR break and 8.45-4pm on a friday with an hour break
I also work extra hours if I am needed but we're not paid for it, we get given the hours in lieu. This could be an hour to 4 hours a week. Occasionally I'm not needed.

11 years 6 months ago #2833 by Jellybean
Thanks for your reply! Can I ask if you're based in London? It's interesting to see the differences in pay across the country!

11 years 6 months ago #2831 by Ekw
Hello there,

Congratulations on passing your exams, it's been a long time since I was training but I got between 11000 and £12,000 once I qualified I knew I'd always work for Nhs so I don't know much about private practice, I know some practices still pay nurses better the more qualifications and responsibilities they have under their belt. All our hospital nurses start on just over £18,000 and stop at approx £22,000 if they become senior we move to the next pay scale around £21,000 up to £27,000. You should definitely make sure you get your meeting with your boss, the amount of extra hours DN's do with little or no money you deserve your meeting. Good luck with that I hope you get the wage your hoping for, if not you'd maybe have to think how much you want to work there and if you can put up with what you receive at present.

11 years 6 months ago #2755 by kta1986
That's brilliant news that your boss approached you about a possibly pay-rise, just don't let him/her forget!!! I hope you get on well with the implant course

11 years 6 months ago #2751 by Jellybean
I work 8.45-5.30 Monday-thursday with 1HR break and 8.45-4pm on a friday with an hour break
I also work extra hours if I am needed but we're not paid for it, we get given the hours in lieu. This could be an hour to 4 hours a week. Occasionally I'm not needed.

xx

11 years 6 months ago #2750 by Jellybean
Ah this is really interesting! Thank you so much for replying! I actually asked my practice manager if she knew if I was due a meeting with my bosses about a pay rise and she laughed in my face and said 'I know nothing about it and I don't expect so!'
I since have been told by my boss however that he is tr5ying to arrange a meeting at the moment!!

YES I am meant to be going on an implant course as we do quite a lot here and I often work late/weekends to work with them!

I also wouldnt mind doing the impression course and maybe co-ordination but that's something I don't mind leaving a while.

11 years 6 months ago #2739 by cozberry
Hi Ali
What sort of hours do you do ?
Carol

11 years 6 months ago #2677 by han87
Hi, i have just recently qualified and found out i will be getting £6.50 an hour which i dont think is right! what wage should a qualified dental nurse get?

11 years 7 months ago #2550 by kta1986
Hello!

Congrats for passing! Your boss should be approaching you about a pay rise rather than the other way round but if that's not happening then I'd just approach the manager at a suitable time as suggested above and be honest, after all you've worked hard and proved your worth, you deserve a pay rise. Are you interested in post qualification certificates? If so, then get this point across to the manager, they should see your potential to grow with the practice. I work at a private practice in bath too and I take home around 1200/1300 a month. Best wishes for the pay rise!

11 years 7 months ago #2546 by Griffiths
Hi Ali,

well done on qualifying :) Your wage seems pretty low, usually practices would give a pay rise once you have passed your exams.

I was earning approx £13,000 as a trainee dental nurse, my first qualified job I was earning £8.60 per hour, I am now a lead nurse earning £9.18. It may be worth looking around for other jobs? Just to get an idea of how much more you could be earning, or if you really like the practice you are at now, then its time to sit down with your manager and tell them why you think you deserve a pay rise.

A few tips - catch them when they are not stressed or really busy, Friday afternoons are good as they have the weekend to think about it, prove that you are hard working and have an hourly rate in mind that you would want, aim higher as they will prob try and knock a bit off! Be confident and firm with what you are asking.

Hope this helps xx
The following user(s) said Thank You: lolawhittaker

11 years 7 months ago #2453 by HRussell
When I qualified I can remember my boss only raising my salary slightly which was ridiculous.
I left not long after that and ended up in a very well paid position.

You have ever right to ask for a pay rise now that you are experienced and qualified. Your boss should discuss this with you it's only fair but don't just accept their word if they give reasons why they shouldn't etc, question them.

:)

11 years 7 months ago #2448 by Jellybean
I had no pay rises while I was a trainee. I am still yet to ask my boss for a meeting!
Will let you know when I pluck up the courage!

11 years 7 months ago #2447 by Assessor
I have come across trainee dental nurses who have had regular pay rises through out their training . Then upon Qualifying the dentist tells them well your at the point that a qaulified nurse is paid so no more rises.

11 years 7 months ago #2445 by MLA
Hello and well done for qualifying!

I don't know a lot about Bath( just been there once) but when you say it is an expensive place to live, I guess that goes for everyone. What I mean is , the dentist have higher costs for material, rent, gas, electric etcetera, as well as everyone else. Guess the patients also need to pay a little bit more for treatments then, as well?Therefore it is a difficult question.

The easiest way is to ask for a meeting with your employer. Sit down and just present the fact that you are now qualified and would like to be paid as such. If you now are doing a bit more than before, have more responsibility, remind him/her of that.
Do you get the GDC cost paid? Any CDPs paid for? If not, you can always ask if there is a possibility that the employer can help out with that.
Just be honest and relaxed and if you get a no at the first time, you can always show that you are worth a bit more now, for a while and then come back and ask again.

Unfortunately, the cost for a private dentist has shot up quite a lot (NHS dentist can get some money from the PCT or at least they have been able to, until recently) so it is not as easy as it looks to get a pay rise. It is up to the employee to show that they are worth more.

Good luck! :)

11 years 7 months ago #2444 by Jellybean
no replies?! really?! :(

11 years 8 months ago #2415 by Jellybean
Hi all!

As some of you may know, I recently passed my Dental nursing exams and qualified about a month ago, I am now due a pay rise.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out on what I should expect from my pay rise?

I work at a privet practice and I currently earn £12,000 a year and take home under £900 a month. I am 22 and live in Bath which is a very expensive city. I know that NHS practices in Bath pay their nurses a higher wage than those in other areas because Bath is such an expensive city to live in.
Ideally I would like to take home at least £1000 a month but I have been told my a relative that this in unlikely and I am expecting a lot?

I was just wondering what kind of rise you guys got when you qualified and any ideas of how I can talk to my bosses about it!

Thanks guys! x

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New