× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

OSCE exam on friday

5 years 9 months ago #8747 by royS
best of luck in future

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 10 months ago #8733 by royS
good luck and all the best

5 years 10 months ago #8728 by mhoneymanX
I've got my OSCE on this saturday morning so if anyone can give me some tips it would be very much appreciated!

Meghan X

5 years 10 months ago #8727 by Photogem1
Hello,
I also have my exam on Friday. Any help would be great. Thank you.
Gemma.shaw (at) live.com
X

5 years 10 months ago #8726 by Photogem1
Hello,
I also have my exam on Friday. Any help would be great. Thank you.
Gemma.shaw (at) live.com
X

5 years 10 months ago #8725 by paulatrower
Hi Fran888, my exam is on Saturday, I really try to be calm without any success at times, if you have some information about the station can you please forward to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Thank you very much indeed.

5 years 10 months ago #8724 by Photogem1
Hello
I also have my exam on Friday.
Good luck to everyone this weekend!

If anyone can help at all my email is Gemma.shaw (at)live.com

Thanks so much

Gemma

5 years 10 months ago #8721 by Fran888
Hello, I am having my exam this coming Saturday morning too. Please if anyone has any tips please email me: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thank you, I'm ready nervous.

Sorry Aga882, I couldn't be of any help x

5 years 10 months ago #8704 by Aga882
Hi . I am having my OSCE in June in London. Anybody else here having their exam there as well? Wondering if anyone could share yours experience / topics you have been given ? Any tips how to prepare for exam ? Advices really appreciated. My email address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Looking forward.

6 years 1 month ago #8631 by Mandy1
Hi I am having my OSCE soon.Does anyone have any materials you can send me through email, cause my school didn't provide any? My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., I would appreciate that.Many thanks !!

6 years 10 months ago #8310 by aprilboy
Does anyone know osce exam is marked ?missed couple of things
Did not took out 1 of things for station
Took out wrong band
Choose 1 or 2 things wrong for bite stage.
And mixing cement was not great but told examiners it's better in surgery
Poly f must it be cream consistency till u see stringy bit from spatula?

Many thanks would be great if I knew how passing is evaluated . Thx

6 years 10 months ago #8309 by Vera
Hi, to everyone having OSCE today I wish you all good luck. I have mine tomorrow and I am very nervous. I will really appreciate if you share your experience and what topics you have been given.

6 years 10 months ago #8303 by aprilboy
Hi I have exam on Friday can anyone tell me exact things needed for crown prep and rct stage 1 and 2 and for oral extraction surgery .I am confused what needs to be out .thank you

6 years 10 months ago #8301 by Tawasul
Hi everyone wish you all the best in your exam. My OSCE will be on 16 of June if any one got some materials that would help me to pass I appreciate if you could email those to me.
My email is ; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

7 years 10 months ago #7483 by Frankys
if pregnant lady needs anaesthetic then i think we give them mepivicaine which has no adrenaline present in it

7 years 10 months ago #7468 by STaylor94
Are any nurses taking the exam that live in hertfordshire? I can really help anyone if they are

x xx

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #7433 by Izebella
Hi yea I fail my osce exam. can anyone tell me please which anaesthetic should we give to pregnant lady ? And has anyone got exam this June ?so scared

8 years 4 weeks ago #7275 by Dental8!nurse
Hello Mandy
I just read you was failed osce exam. I have same problem. I would like to ask you how was your second one? That was more difficult than first one? Can you give me any advice?
Thankyou Tunde

9 years 10 months ago #6273 by Mariasy
Amalgam plain no vasoconstrictor green

9 years 10 months ago #6272 by Mariasy
Amalgam plain green no vasoconstrictor

9 years 10 months ago #6271 by Mariasy
Hi to all!
The exam was easy and all the examiners and helpers too.
pretty sure I passed! I didn't say all I know about the topics though.
Good luck to everyone.

9 years 10 months ago #6270 by flora77
Hi everyone i had my OSCE exam yesterday in London and i am so worried now . One of the stacion was to choose the instruments and material for class 2 cavity but the patient had overactive thyroi. 2 options Amallgam or composite ? I choose Amallgam but I think now I made the mistake dose anyone know wich one was right . Thank you

9 years 10 months ago #6267 by mandyg5
Hello i am doing osce Saturday 14th June, my second attempt and definatly
My last one, very expensive. I failed by 2 percent.
Stations I had was alginate, labelling burs, fainting woman, explain needle stick
Policy to trainee nurse, orthodontics, label X-rays, man from school wanting info about a
Child who was truant, mixing kalzinol, set up endo tray, post operative advice that one
Was written and you at to fill in blanks.
One thing I did learn from last time I am going to say a lot more, nerves got better
Of me last time.
Good luck everyone
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dental8!nurse

9 years 10 months ago #6256 by Mendoins
Can you send me as well some papers
Please
Thank u
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

9 years 10 months ago #6255 by Mariasy
Do you remember some of the questions? Thank you.

9 years 10 months ago #6254 by Zoe1
I hope you pass too xx I hope I do too, let us know xx
mariasy I have sent you 2 emails with some helpful advice I received from my tutor did you receive them x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mariasy

9 years 10 months ago #6253 by Mariasy
Hi I am having my OSCE on Fri 13. Do you have any materials you can send me through email cause my school didn't provide any? My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Thank you!

9 years 10 months ago #6252 by Mendoins
No in London
It's my second time
Ahhh I hope I pass

9 years 10 months ago #6249 by Zoe1
Are you taking it in Swindon?

9 years 10 months ago #6247 by Mendoins
Yes I am
And I been everyday on my books and sheets that my teacher gave me
I'm soo stress ahhh
Anyone know if other way to clam down
:unsure:

9 years 11 months ago #6221 by Zoe1
Hi is anyone taking their OSCEs in June 2014?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mariasy

10 years 1 month ago #6100 by sanak
Hi everyone!
I am selling the Mosbys dental nursing book, handbook for dental nurses and the basic guide to dental nursing all for £35.00. They are usually £20+ each.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DNN

10 years 1 month ago #6057 by mandyg5
I didn't think you could change course provider as they have ROE and nebdn send notification to them

10 years 1 month ago #6056 by mandyg5
It's not just what you do in work, some of the stations had no relevance at all, don't think I will do it again, it's £375 plus need to pay course provider £299 which is money I do not have.

10 years 1 month ago #6055 by Rissa
Hello Mandy,

Please don't feel disheartened abou failing. It's not uncommon on your first try and especially if you had a terrible course provider who didn't give you any practice. I would definitely recommend that you should try again as you will have time to practice and you will know what to expect next time, but I think you should change your course provider as many people don't realise you can and there is probably a better one local to you. If you need any help with anything , please feel free :) :smile:

10 years 1 month ago #6054 by sanak
My course provider didn't help me either but I just learnt from my work place as it's mostly about what you do at work. It is a lot of money, I do agree but try again, I'm sure you'll pass next time :-)

10 years 1 month ago #6053 by mandyg5
Hi haver never used this forum before, I did my osce on the 1st Feb and I failed, the course provider did not
Give any training on osce and as a result I have to resit in June, feel so disappointed as it is not cheap another £375
And extra money to be with course provider. I am put off doing exam again and feel like giving up
Has anyone had same experience as me? I feel so disappointed failing.

10 years 1 month ago #6052 by DNN
Congratulations to all those who passed!

Best wishes,

Mars@DNN

10 years 1 month ago #6051 by LLH123
I got mine on Sat as did our other trainee. We both passed so very happy. Hope everyone else done well xx

10 years 1 month ago #6050 by sanak
I got mine on Saturday and I passed :-) how did everyone else do

10 years 1 month ago #6048 by 0611hh
Has anyone got the osce result today?

10 years 2 months ago #6013 by LLH123
Hey, i found the ortho statation tricky as i work for NHS so dont do ortho!! Fingers crossed none of us have to resit xx

10 years 2 months ago #6012 by Rissa
HEY ALL,
Bet you're all glad its over for now! that osce was so weird! really not what i expected and i have no idea what to think of it. I messed up one mixing station of kalzinol for sure, the examiner said i should mix again but ran out of time :( what stations did u guys find tricky?

10 years 2 months ago #6011 by Nickykirk
Mine was in Birmingham. Think they're far too tough for what we get paid to be honest......definitely don't want to do it again but will if I have to! It's going to be a long 4 weeks :angry:

10 years 2 months ago #6010 by LLH123
Hi Nicky, where did you sit the exam? I was Edinburgh and it was awful! No idea how it is marked at all. I really hope i dont have to do that again but not confident :( x

10 years 2 months ago #6009 by Nickykirk
Hi! Also did osce exam on Friday, thought it was awful! Does anyone know how they mark you, are there a set amount of marks that you have to get per station? Maybe they are then added up and an overall mark given? I found it really hard with not enough time to complete some tasks. Really hoping I won't have to do it again!!

10 years 2 months ago #6008 by Nickykirk
Hi! New to this but had my OSCE exam on Friday....... Awful! Wondering if anyone knows how it is marked, are there a number of marks you have to achieve at each station and then they are added up? I f so what mark do you have to get? Am panicking a bit as it was really tough and not enough time at some stations, particularly to select extraction instruments and write all post instructions in 5 mins!! Can anyone reassure me? :unsure:

10 years 2 months ago #6007 by LLH123
Hi, how does everyone feel after the OSCEs? I feel awful i think ive failed them :( going to be a lobg 4weeks!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nickykirk, Laura1978

10 years 2 months ago #6002 by Rissa
Hey I bet you're relieved that's over! Mines tomorrow and I'm so dreading it. Did the time go really fast? 5 minutes is not enough time after all? What other stations did u have may I ask? Thanks

10 years 2 months ago #6001 by sanak
Hi what other stations did you have? I've heard that it's Ok to not do that we'll in 2-3 stations. My exam is tomorrow :(

10 years 2 months ago #5999 by Simba2911
Hi 0611h

What was the osce stations like? Was it hard. I'm soo scared now. Can you give any advice pls
Many thanks

10 years 2 months ago #5996 by AliT91
Hi everyone,

I've got my exam tomorrow and now getting very nervous

I know this will sound cheeky but does anyone have any spoilers on the different stations?

Good luck to everyone who took it today and who are taking it tomorrow

10 years 2 months ago #5994 by Jislaine
I was it only stations???

10 years 2 months ago #5993 by 0611hh
HELLO EVERYONE,
I HAD MY OSCE EXAM TODAY. I DID WELL ON 10 STATIONS OUT OF 12.
I WAS SHORT OF TIME ON 2 STATIONS. 1 WAS TO MIX THE ALGINATE WHICH I COULDN'T DO BECAUSE THERE WAS NO TIME LEFT.
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW THEY CONSIDER THE PERFORMANCE TO PASS US? DO WE NEED TO PASS ALL STATIONS?
CAN ANYONE GUIDE ME WHETHER THEY FAIL US IN THE EXAM IF WE FAIL 2 OR 3 OSCE STATIONS?

10 years 2 months ago #5990 by Jislaine
so scaryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy my test will be tomorrow

10 years 2 months ago #5989 by Jislaine
Hiiiii , I am more than nervous, lots of confusion informations and I think on the time that I have to talk to them i will completely forget a word ..... So difficult moment .... Can anyone give more informations about the Osce? mY test willl be tomorrow ..

Good Luck to evryone . Thank You
Ji

10 years 3 months ago #5955 by Rissa
Hey there! :)

I too have my exam 1st Feb! argh! so not prepared! i have done my course through a training centre which i must say were TERRIBLE, as we never get any help, the tutor is always away, didn't have any mock exams for the written or this osce- so i feel as though i haven't really attended any classes.
To prepare i suggest reading the basic guide to dental instruments, relevant levisons chapters, going through the spotters list, practicing mixing cements and alginate as much as you can, learning about fissure sealants, oral health advice and dentures. What i have been told is most important is the medical emergency component - ensure you know how to manage the patient in each medical emergency.
I hope i've helped somehow, and don't worry i'm feeling super nervous too! :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jislaine

10 years 3 months ago #5914 by LLH123
Hi all

I have my OSCE exam at the end of the month and i am no starting to feel very nervous!!

was it as bad as you all thought? where there medical emergecy stations? also what were the actor stations like?

eeeeek i cant wait for it to be over and "hopefully" thats me doen with exams for now but im also really stressing about it!

any advice on how to actually study/prepare for the exam would be grately received as i am currently doing the course through distance learning so not actually attending classes!!

thanks
L x

10 years 4 months ago #5899 by Jellybean
I had to mix alginate and poly F!
I couldn’t mix poly F to save my life in the first place and when I sat at the station I realised it was a different brand. I read the instructions through twice because it was also a different ratio of liquid to powder so MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! Even if you think already know! I also talked through what I was doing, explain that its important to wipe your spatula and what consistency you want etc
I also had a role play of someone who felt faint.
Write down 6 different kinds of x-rays (PA,bitewing,DPT ect)
I had to role play giving diet advice
Role play of a mother demanding to see her 17 year old daughters notes (Make sure you know the law on this)
How to use alcohol hand rub
Choosing and setting up LA for a patient that does not want adrenaline,
Set up for an extraction....
Post op instructions for someone who has just had sedation (They should have a person with them remember)
The chart recording was quite fast but don't forget that it is only one station and just do the best you can.
I can't remember any others! There were a few I struggled on but then I just really went for the ones I did know!!

Good luck! xx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rissa, Zoe1, ewelinaf2

10 years 4 months ago #5896 by fzrahim
My turn to sit the OSCEs ... really nervous! Any advice or tips from those who've already passed? What sort of stations have come up? Ive heard the charting recording can be a bit fast! Also worries over what sort of mixing I will get...especially if it is a material I haven't worked with before. Also making sure I include all information necessary in advice station!

11 years 8 months ago #2374 by pablo20
HI Guys, Well done and congrats to all the Trainee nurses who are now qualified!!!!! We did it!!

All the best for your future careers. Class of 2012! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

11 years 9 months ago #2371 by Assessor
Congratulations to you all. Also good luck for the future.

11 years 9 months ago #2370 by HRussell
Well done guys.
Now you can just concentrate on the future and enjoy life again :)

11 years 9 months ago #2369 by Jellybean
I passed also!! So relieved!

11 years 9 months ago #2368 by amyg84
Hi got my results today passed how did every one else get on ??

11 years 9 months ago #2365 by Jellybean
They really should have emailed everyone :/ how rubbish! I had to call my tutor to find out if she knew what was going on!

11 years 9 months ago #2364 by cjh123
mine have not either :( nebnb website said we will get them by wednesday as they had a technical fault getting results out. my tutor told me to check my emails yesterday and today....still nothing...

11 years 9 months ago #2362 by Jellybean
My results still haven't come >:( this is ridiculous!

11 years 9 months ago #2361 by Jellybean
No! I can't believe how many people didn't get the email!!

11 years 9 months ago #2358 by cjh123
just signed up on here to see if anyone had got results as i have been waiting saturday and today for the postman! so we dont get them till 20th?! :blink:

11 years 9 months ago #2354 by Jellybean
I know!! SO ANNOYING!
I wasn't even given a reason?!

:(

11 years 9 months ago #2352 by pablo20
OSCE Results delayed till the 20th. OMG!!

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #2330 by pablo20
I feel exactly the same, couldn't say one way or the other. I didn't get any nasty surprises, every station was something I had covered in class, but I agree with you, in that, I don't know if I said or did enough. I felt it was a little dis-organised and there were so many GDC people and a massive amount of helpers, which was a little off putting.

Some of the scenarios left a lot to be desired, some of the sentences didn't make sence and there were alot of spelling mistakes. Nothing was very specific, and the examiners did actually speak and prompt at times, which threw me because we were told that there would be no interaction between us and them except to exchange my candidate sticker.

Well lets keep our fingers crossed, 2 and a half weeks until results, I am sure we will have done fine. You have to remember that this is the first time this exam has been done, they are bount to take into consideration teething difficulties and look at what could have been done better on their part.

Keep your chin up, we will be ok! xxxx

11 years 10 months ago #2324 by Jellybean
I feel very unsure. I couldn't say I 100% failed or 100% pass. I know I made a lot of mistakes but from what I could gather so did everyone else! I felt very pressured when I was in there! Hope to god I pass, I don't want to have to wait 6 months to retake!
With the written I really thought I had failed but I had really struggled with it!
I keep thinking of all the things I should have said and done in the OSCE it's horrible!!

How did you feel it went?

x

11 years 10 months ago #2320 by pablo20
Thank you. xx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jellybean

11 years 10 months ago #2317 by Assessor
Good luck to you both

11 years 10 months ago #2315 by pablo20
I had mine on saturday, not sure how it went...so now waiting for another agonising 3 weeks. How do you thin you did? x

11 years 10 months ago #2311 by Jellybean
Hi all,

I have my OSCE exam on friday and once again just looking for any advice!
I have just been revising paper charting (we use computer charting at work) I'm struggling to keep up with the voice recording we were sent as revision. It's really worrying me!

If i chart one thing wrong I assume that means I fail that whole station?
Does anyone know how they are actually marked?!

I work for an extremely laid back practice so I'm worried that if we have to do things quickly i just won't get it right!

As for my mixing well I probably won't even bother unless its temp bond or alginate! :P
Uh oh!

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New