× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Registration

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #2139 by MLA
Hello,
I have a different view.
The person working in decontamination room/area, and only doing that, no other duties that normally a Dental Nurse would do, doesn't have to be a qualified dental nurse.
BUT, must be properly trained for decontamination.
When we employed our staff for the decontamination, about 1,5 years ago, I checked this out and the answer is as I just mentioned, NO, doesn't need to be a qualified dental nurse(it would of course help)but can be anyone employed for the purpose and fully trained for decontamination. . The person will of course do yearly training and keeping up with all that is new and so on, have a training plan as everyone else does and generally being 'on the ball'.
MLA :)

Answer from GDC via Derek Watson BDS LDS RCS DGDP
Chief Executive Officer:

If you take on someone who does the sterilisation only, then they are outside of the scope of the GDC and are effectively unregulated by them. They must be trained in decontamination practice and be vaccinated. Provided they are never asked to cover for a dental nurse, you are free to take on who you like.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 11 months ago #2138 by HRussell
I'd say yes also simply because you need to know all the correct procedures.

If you are a clinical or non clinical qualified dental nurse you have to be registered with the GDC. All qualified dental nurses have to do CPD hours whether they are clinical or not.

:)

11 years 11 months ago #2136 by Assessor
Yes it is advisable to be Qualified dental nurse as then you will have had the correct training etc to know all about decontamintaion and if any thing does go wrong at least you have a leg to satnd on. Im an old school dental nurse having to learn all about decon and HTM01-05. Finding conflicting information etc.

11 years 11 months ago #2134 by ttaylor
Do you have to be a qualified dental nurse/ registered to work in the decon room?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New