Dental nurse receives £200,000...

A dental nurse received damages of £200,000 after contracting occupational dermatitis, caused by the gloves she was wearing.
After working for the NHS for over 30 years she was shocked to have to retire at age 50.
The dental nurse wore powdered and non- powered latex gloves in the surgery. In 2004 she was diagnosed with her condition by her doctor. She initially went to see her doctor in 2003, complaining of itchy wrists.
'Caroline Bedale, UNISON Branch Secretary, said: “Latex products are a known danger to dental and other healthcare workers because they are at increased risk of latex allergy. This case demonstrates the critical importance of all employers having proper policies, not only to protect staff from developing latex allergy, but also for the safe handling of patients with known or suspected latex allergy.”¹
'Commenting, the woman’s representative at Thompsons Solicitors, Imogen Wetton, said: “The impact of a latex allergy causes no end of difficulties for sufferers. My client cannot wear jewellery with nickel in it, nor can she wear any clothes with metal zips. She has to avoid any rubber handled items and wear cork inner soles. She has to sleep with cotton gloves on and has to regularly apply steroid creams. She has to avoid washing up and ironing. She can’t even use the TV remote control as it has rubber buttons. The list goes on and on and it’s a living nightmare for sufferers.'²
1http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/ntext/damages-latex-allergy.htm
2 http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/ntext/damages-latex-allergy.htm
A dental nurse received damages of £200,000 after contracting occupational dermatitis, caused by the gloves she was wearing.

After working for the NHS for over 30 years, she was shocked to have to retire at age 50.

The dental nurse wore powdered and non- powered latex gloves in the surgery. In 2004 she was diagnosed with her condition by her doctor. She initially went to see her doctor in 2003, complaining of itchy wrists.
 
'Caroline Bedale, UNISON Branch Secretary, said: “Latex products are a known danger to dental and other healthcare workers because they are at increased risk of latex allergy. This case demonstrates the critical importance of all employers having proper policies, not only to protect staff from developing a latex allergy, but also for the safe handling of patients with known or suspected latex allergy.”¹

'Commenting, the woman’s representative at Thompsons Solicitors, Imogen Wetton, said: “The impact of a latex allergy causes no end of difficulties for sufferers. My client cannot wear jewellery with nickel in it, nor can she wear any clothes with metal zips. She has to avoid any rubber handled items and wear cork inner soles. She has to sleep with cotton gloves on and has to apply steroid creams regularly. She has to avoid washing up and ironing. She can’t even use the TV remote control as it has rubber buttons. The list goes on and on, and it’s a living nightmare for sufferers.'²

For more information about occupational dermatitis and to gain free non-verifiable CPD: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/fis17.pdf

DNN022 Oral Health Education GIF Banner 594x896297x448 RGB V2

Banner IPC DNN 080719

Bright Bites Sponsor