GDC INCREASE

12 years 10 months ago #1524 by Vms118
I feel the GDC Gazette is largely irrelevant to DN's and that we should at least receive a DCP only gazette.

I also think that something a hygienist said 4 years ago is complete sh*t. You would hope/think that the professional peoples who decide how a profession is regulated would be in the know enough to realise the different pay scales between Dental Care Professions. That fact is either hear say or the GDC are just as criminal as many people make out, which saddens me.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago #1522 by Assessor
We are paying supposeidly for the GDc to be able to police the system for fitness to practice hearings. There are at least 6 -7 people on theses boards so they can cut down on them. We also get a GDC mag but not alot of info in them. A certificate to say yes we can work and are fit to practice. The reason why we pay so much and the same as Hygenists therapists etc is because the GDC have a hygenist on the board and she said back in 2008 that all dental nurses are paid the same as hygenists etc. they still use her now for advice.

12 years 10 months ago #1521 by kta1986
No we don't get paid the same as hyg/therapists, we pay the same reg fee (soon to be £120). I wish we were paid the same! I agree, the fee is disgusting.

12 years 10 months ago #1520 by Bexchod
We get paid the same hygienists???? Wow, I'm shocked. I can't believe a hygienist would say that. A colleague and freind of mine was once accidentally given a hygienists wage slip, £25 per hour she was being paid! My freind was getting approx £8.50 per hour. Hmmmmmm, yeah exactly the same. These people are nuts to think we are on the same wage, they are obviously on the wrong planet, or the practices they work at pay dental nurses extremely well, which in that case, have they any dental nurse jobs available??? hahaha

12 years 10 months ago #1515 by Vms118
Isn't the GDC registration fee payed to regulate the dental profession and protect patients?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 10 months ago #1511 by Assessor
Apprently its to pay for the court cases and court costs etc. The GDC mag we get but nothing in it. Numerous letters to tell us we have to pay . Ive had 3 off them already since begining of June my fees not due till end of July n they tell me Ive not paid it . I know Ive not yet paid. Also to tell us what we can and cannot do.

12 years 10 months ago #1509 by HRussell
I agree with everyone here.

There are enough registered dental nurses in the UK that the GDC could reduce the fee.

The fee should go on how much you earn as I think that would much fairer,
I have friends that are paid at least £23K.

12 years 10 months ago #1508 by loopey
I agree with everyone and i cannot believe we pay the same as therapist/hygienist.
roughly working out at £300 a year towards cpd and gdc reg is terrible! when our average pay is £16-£20k a year. how do they expect us to live. i do think we should contact BADN and see what they can do in way of a petation or strike! ha ha.
by the way this is a brill site!!!! ;)

12 years 10 months ago #1505 by Vms118
Most deifinitely.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 10 months ago #1500 by Seal
Does anyone know if we can deduct from tax any CPD costs - like course itself, transport, accommodation?
And can we claim back dated? I mean, if I am going to be registered at the end of the year but in summer I found very nice course I would like to attend and I am wondering if I will be able to deduct from tax anything?

12 years 10 months ago #1498 by Assessor
The GDC have on the board a dental hygenist who has said all dental nurses are on the same pay as hygenists that is why our fee is so high and theyre still using this hygenist on the board. She obviously lives in a dream world.
Also the GDC say its to fund the hearings and the legal stuff etc. We also get a Mag for the £120 per year WOW how boring. The GDC apperntly have court costs and the number of people it tgakes to sit at a hearing all need to be paid. Dont use so many people then DOH!!!!

12 years 10 months ago #1488 by Vms118
GDC reg is tax deductable not refundable.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 10 months ago #1487 by alyson79
hi
I just read on here that we can claim back our registration fees from the tax man?? But I am sure the gdc says the opposite?

12 years 10 months ago #1486 by carlafoster
hi , i too have wrote to the gdc to see exactly what we are payiny for it is a disgrace the amount they want from us !!! i would love us all to stand together and go on strike !!!that would give them some thing to think about .

13 years 7 months ago #908 by DNN
Hi Dental Nurse's,

Here at The Dental Nurse Network we understand and appreciate the costs that us DN's are subjected to.

Everything just seems to be going up year after year, GDC Registration, Badn fee etc..., but in most cases our salaries seem to be going nowhere...

And not to mention travel and basic living costs.

So most of you are probably thinking why are we putting up our Cpd subscription from £ 19-99 to £ 24-99?

First of all: We are proud to say that it is still affordable.

Secondly: Our specially DN tailored introductory offer of £19.99 has been running on our site for the last 6 months and was due for expiry.

We have been blown away by the number of positive responses we have been receiving from our members. We are proud to say that we have an excellent team of dental care professional who write our Cpd articles at the highest of standards.

Thirdly: We are still keeping our costs as low as possible - if you compare us to other CPD Subscriptions available.

Fourthly: Our CPD articles give you the flexibility to do it online in the comfort of your own time.

All in all, our mission to give Dn's affordable quality CPD's still stands!

:)

13 years 7 months ago #904 by CES21
I'm going to write to the GDC asking what we are paying for?
Seem's like all this beoming "profesionals" is rubbish we need to make a stand!

13 years 7 months ago #899 by Vms118
Anyone who thinks this is going to change any time soon is kidding themselves. The only way professions like ours change matters such as these is through union membership and either harsh union threats and/or strike action. I do not claim to be an expert on these matters but I am guessing credible unions that represent a profession take years to set up and gain any realistic influence/power, considering there isn't even one yet...I believe things will change for the career, but I am thinking this will likely take another decade. No exaggeration.

Of course, I would love to be proved wrong in this matter. For all our sakes.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 7 months ago #898 by haighs
I spoke to one of my friends today who is a nurse who is on 26grand a year and her reg fee is 86 a year what is going on its so annoying almost wants me to quit dentistry its just a rip off we need to go on strike

13 years 7 months ago #896 by nicolachickDN
i agree that paying a yearly fee is discusting!

surely this fee should include any necessary CPD within the cost!? discarceful the way our government works or shall i say doesnt work!

dental nursing is a great job with a great outlook but why should nurses who are working to live have to pay this silly fee- the fact is its compulsary if we wanna work so we dont have a choice.... and surely life should be made of choices?

Il sign anything to reduce or get rid of these costs! i am aware we can claim back but only a % i think! :unsure:

13 years 7 months ago #895 by dee1
I think it's digusting that they are increasing it. We do get absolutely nothing back for our money and as well as the increase we still have to pay for the pleasure of doing CPD. I work part time and the GDC is making it very difficult for me to continue working in a profession that i actually enjoy being in. I agree that you should be qualified as a DSA or have a certain amount of experience in the field but having to pay them to work is now beginning to grate me. What do we actually get for paying them £96 (soon to be £120!) a year? OH YES, A CERTIFICATE. Anyone agree?

13 years 7 months ago #894 by juliewilson12
I would be grateful if any dental nurse can tell me the benefits of paying to be on the GDC register.
I SEE NONE AT ALL.
Now they are puting the price of the registration up to £120.00 (there christmas funds must be getting low for next year )
We now also have to pay for nhs courses (which are compulsery ).
I am sick fed up of people sitting in there office thinking of ways to get money from people.Bet there wages are not effected.

Moderators: DNN

Dental management level 3

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New