Starting over again, in sterile gloves.

11 years 5 months ago #3013 by ShowMeYourTeeth
Hello,

I'm the original poster of this thread, but somehow can't access my original profile! It seems my usename has either changed or it's not what I thought it was!
Hopefully a Lady gaga-inspired username will be easier for me to remember... :s

So I will update this profile and post from this username.

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 7 months ago #2576 by Assessor
I started off as I said before in 1984 as a trainee dental nurse. I wore no gloves and didnt have the hep B injection till 1992. As id never heard of it and the dentist never mentioned it to me. We wore mint green dresses, with white knee high socks. The first thing i had to do was to fill his pen up with ink. Before setting up the surgery. we had filing cabinets in there as well. At 11.00 sharp I had to make him a cup of tea along with a rivita bicscuit and place it on a plate and tray and take it through to a room just off the reception for him to have 10 mins wether we had a patient in the chair or not. the tea bags were hung up and reused. He even told me dental Surgery assisstants should be seen and not heard. Oh how times have changed.

11 years 7 months ago #2555 by hannahhogan
Hiya
My story is a bit different, was a hospital nurse, then taught 1st aid for a few years, now I'm brand spanking new at dental nursing. You're not alone in thinking 'oh my, I'll never get this' but I try to think back to 10 years ago, on my first nursing placement, when I thought exactly the same! And I did get it with experience, I'm sure it'll be the same with the dental nursing! I'm ok with the infection control side of things, but the instruments are totally new, I've just about got it together enough with exam/filling packs, putting on the 3 in 1, hand pieces and USS, but other than that I have a notebook with hurriedly scribbled notes, which the dentists are just going to have to get used to seeing!! There are actually 4 new nurses in my practice, so that's quite nice that we're all starting together.
I've only worked with one dentist so far, there are 4 at the practice, plus visiting ones, so I have new styles to get used to - I figure if I can deal with hospital surgeons and their egos then I can deal with anything!!
Just wanted to say, no you're not alone, there are some of us just starting off now and we're all in the same boat! :) xx

11 years 10 months ago #2345 by Assessor
Oh yes I agree
but there are still as you say dirty practices out there. Ive come across laods in my time.

11 years 10 months ago #2344 by MLA
Hello,
I am very glad that eventually all these rules and regulations have come in to force.
It is a very good standard if it is done correctly, which the CQC is checking.

If all practices are doing the right thing, in the correct way, all the time, it will be brilliant and we all can trust that we are having the same standard everywhere.
BUT (I know, never start a sentence with a but....)as long as every practice, actually isn't doing this, I am hoping the CQC or other authority, will hunt them down and make sure they do.
Still today, I hear stories of dreadful experiences in dental practices, how dirty it is, how they use or not use sterilisers etcetera and it is 2012!

I hope you agree! :)

11 years 10 months ago #2341 by Assessor
Hahaha I actually find it more scary now with all this cross infection n the CQC stuff lol. I started dental nursing in 1984. At the age of 18. I wasnt fazed by it then but then went into teaching in 2004 came out of teaching dental nurses in 2009 back into genreal practice. Im lost with all this stuff. i did keep my hand in when teaching on sats but the practice I worked in wasnt really bothered about at the time about Cross infection etc.

11 years 10 months ago #2339 by Flora
You will have days when you wish you had never started, and days when you want to give it all up.....but eventually those days will be less and less frequent and you will start to really enjoy your training and the dental nurse role!! I can remember learning things and thinking "I will never remember all this" but then one day it just clicks and you will feel confident and happy with what you are doing!

Good luck with everthing!

:cheer:

11 years 10 months ago #2319 by starlight17.02
It can be be pretty scary!! When I had started my course, I had no idea what dental nursing was about and to be honest, it took me quite a while to find a placement!! but I needed experience... I had my first glance of dental instruments at college and I was pretty scared-the extraction forceps were quite a sight! :D

But as I started to learn, it became easier... Being in a surgery was the best way to discover what really goes on! Infection control is very important, because it's not only about protecting your patients, but protecting you and your team. Even as a trainee dental nurse, it's very good to know your stuff in theory. What I found reassuring is the trust patients put in a dental nurse and when they thank you for being there for them. :)

But mixing, keeping the surgery disinfected is all about getting into a routine. And if you're scared about blood during an extraction, well, you will soon get used to it. My patients used to asks me to hold their hands, which made me feel very important and appreciated.

So chin up!! And believe in yourself!! You can do this!! :)

By the way, I had a 4-5 months old baby, I had my DN course and the work placement in a practice-I passed my exams at the very first attempt! And you need to be conscious of of the x-rays of course, but not scared... :)

Good luck!!

P Hylton

11 years 11 months ago #2282 by podgorska
Hello, i had the same feelings as you when i first started out dental nursing, i also got the job out of no where and was worried but eventually it gets easier.
As long as you want to learn and work hard to start a career then youll be great.
lucy
:)

11 years 11 months ago #2219 by lnash
Starting over again and again, I have found myself starting a job in dental nursing by strange twist of fate.
It's something that I've looked at before;
But to suddenly find myself in uniform, learning the ropes in the admin office with my first observation in surgery looming large, it's no wonder that my mood can go from efficiently excited to scared and regretful in less than 10 seconds.

But being a fan of programmes that come with a 'scenes of surgery' warning, starting observation chairside feels like it will be interesting. And with the nursing course starting in a couple of months, I better pick things up quickly!!

Tell me: When you started out Dental Nursing, did you have doubts and worries, irrational caution of the x-ray machines, fears about juggling long hours and studying?
(Or am I worrying too much - should I concentrate on not fainting first, tackle the rest later?) :unsure:

Moderators: DNN

Dental management level 3

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New