BADN

12 years 3 weeks ago #2122 by Assessor
How many people do You know will work for our salaries and do our jobs as we do. We have all these guide lines to follow the CQC to contend with etc. Yet I get conflicting reports on HTM01-05 about how we do things in practices etc
We seem to spend our time following guidelines how can we do our jobs and everything else ??? ON OUR WAGES MORE PAY FOR DENTAL NURSES. we need to set up a epetition get 100,000 names on it for the government to review our pay. Nurse get subsideised for housing as well we dont teachers also get subsisidised for housing we dont. i have friends who are in these proffessions and this is what they tell me. I love my job but get very diheartend when we have such low pay Im the only wage earfner in my house I have a husband and 2 kids a mortgage. tec etc I dont have any spare at the end of the month my husband is excellent at budetging. We are only going on holiday in August to Wales because my father is paying for it. Otherwise we wouldnt be able to go away.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 3 weeks ago #2121 by Assessor
Dental protection covers you for indmnity as well as the BADn one Y should they have the monoploy on the dental nurses. If we didnt have the sliding scale we wouldnt be leaving as we are in our droves. Also The indemnity should cover us for our extra duties instead of having the sliding scale. Also the other reason why you have noit had much feedback on here is how many dental nurses Know of this site. I only found out about it by chance. You need to advertise this site more. Try Face book and twitter make you selves more aware.

12 years 3 weeks ago #2120 by Assessor
General nurses fees are subsidised as well.

12 years 3 weeks ago #2119 by Dayna
Hi there
I am a trainee dental nurse of 46 years old !!!! came back into the profession after working in it back in the 80s when dental nurses didn't need qualifications. I now am a few weeks from taking my NVQ3 exam at beg of june and im stressed out already I only work 3 days a week so I am part time. I have joined the BADN myself as a trainee Dental Nurse, but have found out recently that my employer will once I am qualified pay for my membership and Indemnity for me- so maybe i am lucky and then hopefully my wages will go up from £7.00 per hr to over £8??

P.S Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get info on the NVQ Exams ie past papers etc

12 years 7 months ago #1830 by Vms118
lol daft isn't it.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 7 months ago #1829 by Assessor
Oh I know that which I do quite a lot on line. But when this flyer flew through the door I nearly died When I saw that it said what it did.

12 years 7 months ago #1827 by Vms118
You have too be a bit simple to pay for CPD these days. There is so much out there for free! :P

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 7 months ago #1825 by Assessor
Can somebody please explain to me why When we have course flyers sent to the Practice for some very interesting couses it has at the bottom of the page. NHS dental nurses £30. Private dental nurses £60. Yet the course is exactly the same we get the same info come away with the same goody bags etc. We still need the same amount of CPD. Yet we have to pay twice as much fo the course. This is discrimination .The nurses in private practices dont get any more pay just because we work in private practices. Please please please dont treat us differently. :S

12 years 7 months ago #1824 by Assessor
You can get the dental nurse magazine instead if you cant afford to pay for this then you can see if the practice will py also you can get the CPD from the journal online like I do.

12 years 7 months ago #1822 by Vms118
I'd be interested to see this clause that says they can pick and choose what/who they cover. If you could simply copy and paste this onto the forum I'd appreciate the proof. otherwise, none of us are insurance contract experts and I have no doubt will not trawl through the paper work. Most will simply take it for granted and still move to the cheaper providers.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 7 months ago #1819 by Assessor
so true to the comment dentists cant comment without the nurses. I had been with the BADN since qualifying in 1993 but they have done nothing for me. Ive not even used the services they offered so Im quite happy now not to have got them. Also true about the general nurses working with out doctors direction yet we have to.

12 years 7 months ago #1816 by Toots
I have never joined the BADN because when enquiring many years ago was told that they would not represent nurses in disputes. also the pay scale was set as to what dentist where prepared to pay not what nurses where worth.

Obviously things have changed since then however I still cannot see any advantage to being registered with the BADN when they cannot present a successful case to the GDC with regard to tre ARF. If a fully qualified general nurse pays less to register and have far more duties and not working under the direct supervision of a doctor in the same way as a dental nurse works under the direct supervision of a dentist. If you like are on a par with the hygienist/therapist.

As for indemnity insurance, dental nurses can get cover for free on their dentists own indemnity. They can be added to their cover. The are drawbacks in as much that if there is a dispute between yourself and the dentist they will cover the dentist. Having said that I have worked in dentistry for 24 years,23 with the same dentist, and before registration, dental nurses did not need insurance and yet carried out the same duties. If you have a good dentist then get added to his/her insurance. Anyone with extra duties should have there own insurance. The same applies when buying Car, House or Holiday shop around and go compare. Always read the small print.

ARF, in my opinion, should be paid by the practices for permanent staff. If a nurse leaves half way through a year then they pay the balance back to the practice. Practices can not operate without dental nurses.

12 years 7 months ago #1813 by leigh_morrison
Again sorry to hear that you left. Please check the small print with any new insurance company. Make sure they will represent you on all counts.
Again I will pass this on to the New President when they come into post in October.

12 years 7 months ago #1812 by leigh_morrison
Hi,
With regards to the indemnity insurance, the company that provide the cover for BADN wil respresent a member against a claim, where as other insurance companies look at the case first then decide whether they will represent you. So you could be paying fees and find that your insurer will not take the case. So please take care to check the small print if you are changing to a new company.

BADN have comminucated with the GDC with regards to the ARF, suggesting a rising scale in line with annual salaries, but to no avail as of yet.

With regards to wages, see link from previous message. BADN have for as long as I can remember made recommendations with regards to pay. I still have paperwork from the late 90's suggesting pay scales "Whitley Pay Scale". With regards to the NHS nurses getting payed more that is because all NHS staff - dental, medical, admin all are paid in line with Agenda for Change which stipulates their level of pay. But unfortunately employers cannot be made to follow this.

I am sorry that you will be leaving though. But thank you for contacting me. I will pass this on to the New President.

12 years 7 months ago #1811 by nush_82
I have left (aug 2011) due to insurance going up, when i could get it cheaper some where else. Must admit will miss the magazine though with the cpd hours

12 years 7 months ago #1810 by KLKennedy
I've chosen top stay with the BADN this year, purely because they are the only indemnity provider who recognise nurses who are pregnant, going on or are on maternity leave, but next year, I am unsure if I'll be returning to dental nursing. I'm also an oral health educator & Chilldsmile EDDN, but I only get £8ph. the fees between membership & GDC ARF are just too much. If I do return, I won't be able to afford to be fulltime as chidcare costs alone would swallow up my all of my wages & part of my partner's.
Personally, I think the general consensus is the BADN seem to do little with regard to helping nurses in general practice get a decent wage (unlike NHS employed nurses), & we're still paying the same as hygienists in relation to the retention fee. More really has to be done, if only to keep nurses in the profession. Let's face it, general nurses in hospitals get paid more than we do, but their registration fees are considerably less (£76). :S

Kirsty

12 years 7 months ago #1808 by leigh_morrison
I'm really sorry to hear that you are still leaving.

There has been over 100 viewings of this chat but only 3 people have made comments. I take it no one else has any views, opinions or thoughts on the matter!

12 years 8 months ago #1784 by Assessor
Im leaving due to the rising cosy but wouldbe been happy to have stayed with the BADN if I could.

12 years 8 months ago #1781 by leigh_morrison
BADN have long championed the cause for better wages for dental nurses. See link below. But like any other association that represent their workforce they can only make recommendations or advise. It is up to the employer/s whether they follow this advice.

www.dentistry.co.uk/news/3143-New-guidan...ental-nurse-salaries

It was only when I started working for a private dental company some years back that my skills and experience were actually recognised and I was paid accordingly. But that was an isolated incident. In 2006 as a fulltime dental nurse, running a busy radiography clinic in my practice I was still only paid £15,500 a year.

Leigh

12 years 8 months ago #1780 by halp
Hi Leigh :)

One of the first messages asked how you're going to help dental nurse with pay? I'd like to know how you plan on helping nurse get a good pay/wage scale that dentists will take note of?

I stopped my subscription with you because you no longer seem to be a nurse association but purely an (expensive) indemnity provider. What do you do that makes the body be able to call itself our assosiation?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Assessor

12 years 8 months ago #1779 by leigh_morrison
Hi,

With regards to dental nurses working in NHS/Private practice getting charged different rates for courses, unfortunately that is the decision of the educational provider. Contact your local coordinator to raise this with them. I am sure that you are not alone in this.

The sliding scale for the insurance. I can only say that the more duties/responsibilities that you have the more risk you have of someone making a complaint against you unfortunately.
For example, the next time I renew, if I were to put all the extra duties and tutoring I do, I would actually be more for my membership than my GDC registration.

To members leaving because they can't have the membership without the insurance then please speak up. Contact me so I can collect as much evidence as possible that this is the reason why members are leaving. I will then present it to the council in November.

Leigh

12 years 8 months ago #1769 by Assessor
My colleque didnt know about the new sliding scale for the BADN because she had rejoined before it came into force.
She has since said if she does resign for next year with the BADN then if she doees not tick the boxes that she should can she still carry out that work.
Thankyou Leigh
We must get more dental nurses to speak up about pay.

12 years 8 months ago #1768 by Vms118
Leigh,

I'd like to know what you would say if I echo'd Assessors comments regarding pay and conditions/training.

You seemed to skip over that bit of her reply.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 8 months ago #1766 by leigh_morrison
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. This is a common theme about the indemnity insurance and is something I will bring to the attention of the BADN President, Chief Executive and the Council as with your other concerns. But with regards to the insurance, the more dental nurses speak up the better.

12 years 8 months ago #1764 by Assessor
The reason Im leaving BADN after 18 years is the sliding scale they now have for our fees. Which include the indemnity insurance. I have found cheaper insurance else where.
To reconsider joining the BADN is to stop the sliding scale on our skills and then to perhaps help us to better pay. We are worth more than the pittance some of us are getting now. Im on just over £9.00 ph. Also more help for dental nurses working in private practices. As I have found out that the personal development files are for nhs nurses and that for me anda colleque to get one we had to beg.
I even went on a course in preston arranged by the pct and found out because i was in a private practice I would have to pay for the course yet the nhs nurses got it for free. What will the BADN do for us.

12 years 8 months ago #1762 by leigh_morrison
Hi , my name is Leigh Morrison and I am the Northern Regional Coordinator for BADN. I am part of the BADN Council because I feel that we as dental nurses need a voice. I would like fellow dental nurses to please contact me and tell me:
a. Why you are leaving the BADN?
b. Why you are not joining the BADN?
c. What can the BADN do that would make you reconsider leaving?
d. What can the BADN offer you, to make you want to join?

Please feel free to contact or e-mail me at
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Leigh

Moderators: DNN

Dental management level 3

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New