Indemnity Insurance./BADN membership.

12 years 8 months ago #1790 by Vms118
You raise some good points Toots, I'm glad you have a relationship with your dentist that you can trust so much. :)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #1786 by Assessor
Yes we Know that but things do happen dont they Just saying dont take thge risk.

12 years 8 months ago #1783 by Toots
I am aware that if there is a dispute they would cover him rather than I. However, I cannot foresee any problems because we have worked together for 23 years without any disputes.

Dental nurses can only work under the direct supervision of a dentist and as such, as long as you have a reputable dentist, can see no problem if only carrying out general dental nurses duties. If I was carrying out extra duties then yes I would get my own indemnity.

I am a dinosaur who only sees indemnity insurance as a way of relieving others of their hard earned cash. Up until GDC registration came in dental nurses were carrying out the same duties and never needed insurance to do so. We do not do treatments, on the same scale of the hygienist, we only assist and carry out duties as instructed.

12 years 8 months ago #1778 by Vms118
Assessor's correct. If any dispute involves the two of you, then their priority would be to cover him.

For the sake of £37(?), leaving your indemnity down to some one else seems a little daft and risky too me.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 8 months ago #1777 by Assessor
The indemnity your boss isnt always the best cos if you want to whistle blow it dosent cover you. I dicussed this with my boss before taking out my own with the Dental protection team also r u sure it will cover you. fully???? best check it out.

12 years 8 months ago #1776 by Toots
I am covered under my bosses indemnity insurance and have no worries about it not being paid because it does not effect his fees. He can add upto 3 nurses for free.

As a professional body why are we not insisting that practices pay the GDC fees for all nurses being employed by the practice after all they cannot operate without the nurses. I think locums should pay their own.

12 years 8 months ago #1775 by Assessor
Best speak to the BADN or the GDC

12 years 8 months ago #1771 by sarah1988
hi ladies...

i work full time over 4 practices, i am only in surgeyr 1.5 days a week, the other time i am doing other duties, and reception.

can i claim the less than 20 hors insurance o0r do i still have to apply for the over 20 hours because i work full time even though not in surgery.

what if i ended up doing over 20 hours one week??

any advice be great!! ;)

12 years 8 months ago #1751 by Assessor
All dental nurses have to have indemnity now. Havd had done since 2008. Other wise we cant work. I suggest you look round as the BADN now has a sliding scale . Ive found the Dental protection is good also the DDU.

12 years 8 months ago #1750 by nj21
Hi

I too do extended duties...taking x rays, imps, casting models, taking photos etc and although i am covered under my dentists insurance i still have my own.

My dentist is with the DDU and therefore any of his nurses get 50% of their policies. Mine is only 38.00 a year (the nurses who just do basic duties is 35.00 a year!!)

If any of your dentists are with DDU it is definitely worth a look!!

12 years 8 months ago #1749 by scwilliams
Good Evening , :)

I was told that Indemnity Insurance was not required by the Dental Nurse ,, now i am very concerned that this really !!! untrue :ohmy:
I was tols this because I work in a private practice and im covered on my Boss's insurance ....
Does anyone no the answer ??

Thank you :)

Sonya

sonya

12 years 9 months ago #1727 by Khatun
hi
am newly joint BADN Membership for £35.00 yearly. am bit confused, and i wanted to know is it worth it or not becaused am not working for the time being, plus i wanted to gain some cpd. :) :unsure:

12 years 9 months ago #1668 by Assessor
Finally signed up with dental protection and got my cert for proof. Looks like lots more dental nurses will be moving away from the BADN. The BDA conference in Manchester was alittle dissapointing as not many dental nurses attended. The President of the BADN quoted in the latest edition of the Dental nurse journal. MMM I wonder why that is?????? I say. With the scosts of the indemnity and the ARF Dental nurses cant afford to go on the courses.

12 years 9 months ago #1667 by stephsmith17
i also found the same as you....i work in hospital so have lots of extended duties and my insurance was £117! how is this fair? we have to have the insurance.

12 years 9 months ago #1614 by Assessor
Well if we all look around there will be plenty of companies jumping on the indemnity bandwagon now.

12 years 9 months ago #1611 by Vms118
I've personally never been a member of the BADN. It has always just seemed something "nurses are meant to do" and is done for the sake of it/tradition, or to get the belt/badge. Besides the CPD they do and their magazine is nothing I've not found for free elsewhere.

In regards to employers umbrella insurance I'd always have my own. I'd be worried that, do I actually know the premiums have been paid? am I actually covered at the moment? you're always going on someone else's trust :(

BADN - of course they try to sell you their insurance! they're are a for profit company (as far as I know), they have to make money to stay a float...

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 9 months ago #1609 by Janetbj
Hi
Yes - makes you wonder what is going on - hardly supporting the profession.

I note also that BADN have just released details of their Conference - I hope you guys down south and even those in Scotland can afford it!

The Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow is holding a Triennial Conference in Glasgow which overlaps (one day) with the BADN Conference. There are various streams of lectures - including dental. Cost for dental nurses (early bird) is, I think, £45.00 per day.

As a former BADN member I increasingly feel that BDA should live up to their name of the British Dental Association and allow dental nurses to become associate members. I have attended the BDA Conference for several years now and have found the conference fees acceptable for dental nurses. There is always such a wide range of high class speakers - BADN couldn't afford these speakers - but the BDA Conference is much better value for money.

12 years 9 months ago #1607 by Walshy25
I wonder if the BADN get some kind of commission for selling their insurance policy? If you think about it, they seem to be forcing it onto anyone who wants membership. They know there are better, more affordable options out there and if nurses had the choice, they would steer clear of the BADN insurance....Makes me question what's really going on!

12 years 9 months ago #1606 by Walshy25
Just noticed I said Dental Defence earlier. I meant Dental Protection. Seems a lot of you guys on here also think they are pretty good. I'd definitely recommend them :)

12 years 9 months ago #1605 by Walshy25
I said goodbye to the BADN as well. I contacted them and said I thought it was wrong of them to not allow nurses to opt out of having their insurance. I shopped around and found I could get cover elsewhere that was far better as it offered more cover for a similar price. But the BADN were having none of it. It seems messed up when like I've said before, there are some dentist insurance schemes that also provide cover for nurses as well, so why not give dental nurses the option to have membership only?
You would like to think that they are on our side really, wouldn't you?

12 years 9 months ago #1602 by Assessor
Well as previously stated above cant join the BADN if not taking out insurance. So im now with the dental protection. Good bye BADN

12 years 9 months ago #1600 by Walshy25
It's worth checking out your employer's insurance, as sometimes they have what is referred to as an umbrella scheme. This means they have an insurance policy which can also cover their nurses too at no extra cost to the nurse.
I was covered by one of these policies, but I've since left my permanent job. The policy was with Dental Defence and I think they are worth checking out as their level of cover looks pretty good. I'm thinking of taking my new insurance policy out with them.

12 years 10 months ago #1537 by Assessor
Its something Im looking into at the moment. Ive been a member of the BADn for over 20 yrs. Thank you for all the information.

12 years 10 months ago #1535 by Janetbj
I would go with Dental Protection - have CPD - free (to members) or at quite affordable costs.
I think that you can't join BADN without taking their insurance - but maybe they have changed their policy.

12 years 10 months ago #1533 by Assessor
Im going to be taking alook at the dental protection myself. Ill still sign up with the BDAN for the membership but not the insurance.

12 years 10 months ago #1528 by Vms118
I think the key here is that they are a professional association. I believe but don't know, that this means it is a for profit organisation. But like I said, I could be wrong. If you look at the older posts on the forum containing BADN chatter then you'll find multiple things reported by other members about how the BADN have pretty much refused to comment on certain things and not help DN's.
I personally feel Dental Protection is both better value for money and more professional outfit. For starters, it's non-profit, admittedly it covers many types of professionals over the globe but still, I don't feel their profit margin comes before me.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 10 months ago #1527 by Janetbj
Hi

I am surprised that BADN who claim to be the only professional organisation representing dental nurses and the indemnity insurance company to which they are attached should have a sliding scale of fees which appears to penalise those financially who wish to further their careers. I have looked briefly at other indemnity providers and there doesn't appear to be such a fee scale. I'm sure that general nurses won't have these problems with indemnity insurance.
I would look around for a better deal.
Good Luck
J

12 years 10 months ago #1525 by Assessor
Indemnity Insurance/BADN membership.
Had a letter today saying my insurance is due at the end of the month. Ok I thought £70 again this year. It actually says The increase of the scope of cover available means that the increase for this year reflects the enhanced cover. They are now on line. So I went on line to register. found myself faced with tick boxes, Basic duties, extra duties etc etc etc. So i ticked the Basic duties and because I cast up models and take photogrphs etc I had to tick the extra duties box as well the fee then went up to £96.00 or so. What with the £120 for the GDC. So the more duties we do the more we pay. So we have a implant dentist but I Dont do Implants or sedation our other nurse does but if shes ever away I work with Him I wont be insured. Then I sometimes teach dental nurse so out of curisoity I ticke d the box and the fee went to £129.oo approx. Well Im not teaching any more lol. :angry:

Moderators: DNN

Dental management level 3

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New