Claiming Tax allowances

9 years 6 months ago #6402 by DNN
Hi Ashley,

Seehttp://www.dentalnursenetwork.com/claiming-tax-back-as-a-dental-nurse.html

Regards
DNN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago #6392 by Ash94
Can someone help?

I have been dental nursing for 2+ years and just qualified to be hit with the fees of registering and a union/indemnity fee plus having to wash my uniforms etc, where and how to I claim to get some help?

Thanks

9 years 6 months ago #6385 by 173nurse
Just write to your tax office stating that you are a dental nurse & they know that you are entitled to claim your laundry, up to 6 years. Let them know you pay your registration fee & I also claim my BADN subscription & my union fees. You get a percentage of your union fee back & I don't need to let them know every year, they automatically include it on my yearly tax code although when I recently rang them about another matter she changed my laundry amount as it had gone up, why was that not automatic. Remember to write to them when your GDC registration increases. It does not matter whether your uniform has a logo on it, you have a clean one daily & you wash it. Don't let some tax offices tell you that you can't claim.
Before we were supplied with clogs we had to wear flat black shoes so I used to claim for my shoes. If they question it just say you would not be seen dead in flat back shoes out of work.

9 years 9 months ago #6287 by Dentalnurse5
Could I have some advice please.

I have claimed tax back for clothes laundering and I received a letter to say my tax code has been changed.

Does this mean it's now been adjusted to take into account that I launder my own clothes for dental nursing so I should get taxed very slightly less each month? Does this last for the length of your dental nurse career or can you only have your tax code adjusted for a limited time?

Hope that is clear! Thank you!

9 years 9 months ago #6284 by Rajni1511
Where do I get this Tax forms :( .Please help!

9 years 10 months ago #6225 by Dentalnurse5
I have claimed tax back for uniform laundering but I didn't know it was only for 3 years you can claim for. This doesn't make sense if you are a dental nurse for many years.

Can anyone tells me what happens with your tax code after 3 years? Do inland revenue adjust your tax code so you no longer can claim for tax back for your uniform? I don't think I will remember to change my tax code in 3 years time!

Thanks

12 years 2 months ago #1925 by Assessor
The fee has now gone up to £5.99 for the forms.

12 years 2 months ago #1923 by Seal
To claim the tax back do I have to be registered with GDC?
Can I claim back if not (for the training 2 yrs when I had to wash my own uniforms myself) ?
Is there any specific time u have to do it or anytime during the year and up to 6 yrs back?

I am going to register in March hopefully, can I after paying fee claim it back with those 2 yrs of washing uniforms?

One more question, as someone wrote earlier, uniforms do not have logo on them but if u buy it yourself and obviously u have to wash it u cannot claim for it?

12 years 2 months ago #1922 by coolkaz20
HELLO I TRIED TO FILL THE FORM ON HERE FOR TAX RELIEF BUT IT NOT WORKING KEEPS GOING ALL FUNNY IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY OF DOING THIS PLEASE

13 years 4 months ago #1083 by joannep
I have just read through all the posts, and amazed at the diffence in results: Some only get a tax code change, others get a cheque which can be anything between £300 and £20.

How are these so vastly different. One of the nurses that I work with has just had her cheque back - £30. She had claimed for three years registration and six years laundry expenses.

The laundry expenses were kicked out because we don't have logos on the tunics!!

Is this correct, or is it worth appealing?

13 years 5 months ago #1078 by donna10480
Eventually I received a cheque for £22 and my tax code lowered - I thought they had forgot about me. Better than a kick in the teeth aint it? :-D Its Worth sending the forms off.

13 years 6 months ago #884 by Vms118
Good result Clara. Can I ask did you have to call them and "encourage" them to hurry up at all? Or did it just turn up in the post? I sent mine in early august but they don't have any record of it as of yet :blink:

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 6 months ago #883 by clarabell80
:) I sent my form back in July and this week i got a cheque from them for £253 and they have also adjusted my tax code for in the future,well worth the £5 spent,thank you Dental Nurse Network.
ps,i claimed 6 years for uniform laundering and 1 year for my retention fee.

13 years 7 months ago #813 by DNN
Hi Donna10480,

Your forms were sent to you on the 16th July, therefore you will need to wait another 2 weeks before phoning them with the number we have given you.

Best regards,
Team DNN

13 years 7 months ago #812 by DNN
Dear members,

The Tax office will aim to have the majority of applications processed within 2 months. If you still have not heard back from them after two months we suggest you call the number issued on your personal form and clarify that either:

1. They have received it.
2. They are processing it.

When you phone them, please have your N.I number ready.

We are not responsible for lost tax forms in the post or if the inland revenue are delaying your application.

If you need your personalised tax forms sent to you again, please email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Kind regards,

The Dental Nurse Network Team

13 years 7 months ago #810 by donna10480
I paid £5 for the forms, sent them off approx 2 months ago and havent heard a single word back. :angry:

13 years 7 months ago #805 by claire_xx67
what shoes do dental nurses wear?

13 years 8 months ago #731 by Lauren25
I wrote to my local tax office in May and recently had a phone call to say my uniform allowance will be deducted from my tax.

I wrote to them explaining I am a GDC registered nurse and how long I'd been working at this specific practice for and how many uniforms I launder a week as our practice does not provide washing facilities.

You must make sure you include your up to date address, practice address, DOB, national insure number and tax code.

The lady on the phone was very pleasant and happy to help!

Not sure how much I'll recieve but its better than nothing :) I'll let you all know how much I recieve.

Lauren

13 years 8 months ago #724 by sarah1988
took about a month...im pleased with the ammount...for £5 to pay for DNN to do the forms, well worth it!!

13 years 8 months ago #712 by Vms118
Oh yeah, how long did it take for that cheque/response to come back Sarah?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 8 months ago #711 by Vms118
Finally! Thanks Sarah for actually disclosing the amount your received. Enough of a motivator for me to do the form today I think!

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 8 months ago #710 by sarah1988
i have been workin just a bit longer than yourself about 3 years,
i got about £150 in a cheque and they changed my tax code.
well worth it..
The following user(s) said Thank You: DNN

13 years 8 months ago #709 by stacey
I have only been working for 2 years + 6 months but have been washing own uniform for this time. Does anyone know how much I would get back is it worth the hassle? Thanks :)

13 years 8 months ago #708 by donna10480
Ive paid my £5 and sent off the forms.. anyone know exactly how long i will have to wait to hear back?

Ive never claimed any expenses for 8 years so ive tried my luck with ticking all the boxes :unsure:

13 years 8 months ago #705 by Vms118
I guess that would be a question to ask the tax man/woman him/herself.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 8 months ago #688 by Allie
I just got notification back from my tax office about washing uniforms.. :)

They have given me a new tax code but just wanted to know if i will be getting money back for previous years??

13 years 8 months ago #665 by sarah1988
i got a lette rtoo saying they had changed my tax code and thought bummer could do with some cash...then low and behold 2 days later got another letter with a cheque for nearly £150!! get in!!
good luck and hope u get a cheque too! x

13 years 9 months ago #633 by Twiki
I got a letter today saying my tax code has changed. how crap is that> hopefully if im owed money it will happen soon, but i dont get these letters, why not just say we're changing your tax code to allow for this in future but here's how much money we owe you from april when new tax year started instead of more waiting.
All i want to know is am i getting something back or not. Simple

13 years 9 months ago #626 by sarah1988
WOOP WOOP tax back!!
got my cheque yesterday, filled in the forms that DNN provided and took about 6 weeks,
well worth it..if u havent done it yet do it, dont think i cant be bothered or i wont get anything, its worth it!!
:woohoo:

13 years 9 months ago #603 by Vms118
I'm glad someone got some good out of them - after all we pay their wages. Can I be really cheeky and ask -

1. How long did you apploy for a refund?
2. approx how much did the reimburse you?

I have not done mine yet is all (the form) and would be interested to know.

:)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #599 by angel
My tax office was very helpful. I had no probs with them to get the info I wanted. :laugh:
I`ve done the £5 tax form on this site and couldn`t believe that I got some money back. I know of 2 other nurses that didn`t get any money back but an adjustment to their tax code. In reality they still get something back but in a different way. Thanks to this website more and more DN are claiming back. :lol:

Thanks Dental Nurse Network for bringing this info to DN`s. I think that a lot of DN`s were not aware that you can get a bit back.

13 years 9 months ago #581 by Vms118
There is absolutely no point in calling your local tax office. I have done it several times before and they simply want to get you off the phone line as soon as humanly possible, I think you would get a much better/thorough action from the office by writing.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #556 by mm21
Hmm that sucks.my friend said she received a cheque back so I was wanting to do it, maybe try calling your tax office?????? :unsure:

13 years 9 months ago #555 by louise7111
Hi ya

I'm in the process of claiming tax back for washing my uniform & it's taken 2 months exactly to hear back from the tax office. I paid the £5 & used the service of this site.

I thought I would get a nice cheque but what they have done is changed my tax code to allow for this.
I only got the letter when I got home from work, so I will sort out tomorrow with the secretary at work, as to how much more I will get each month.

Regards

Louise :cheer:

13 years 10 months ago #527 by DentalNurseNetwork
Hi Pokerface,

Yes, you are right you can fill out the p87 form. The P87 is general tax relief form and contains many expenses, e.g. vehicle expenses, travel expenses, etc...
However, we would strongly recommend that you write an accompanying covering letter to with it, explaining your circumstances as a dental nurse and what/why you wish to claim tax relief on uniform laundry/GDC fees. For example, on uniforms you will need to confirm that your relief claim falls under the criteria set out for nurses laundry expenses.
Also, please remember to send this to your ‘personal tax office’.
For a small administrative fee of £5 we can give you a personalised covering letter and find out your tax office address for you.
www.dentalnursenetwork.com/index.php?opt...le&id=105&Itemid=321

Good luck,
DNN

13 years 10 months ago #524 by Twiki
Or you can go to HMRC and search p87 and print out the form and send it off. mine has been away for about a month now and nothing back so far, but hopefully soon

13 years 10 months ago #503 by DentalNurseNetwork
Hi DN’s,

The tax office has found that nurses who have tried to claim back for shoes and socks have generally been unsuccessful.

Whilst there is a clear case for claiming back laundry expenses on uniforms and GDC fee’s, because these are directly linked to your job. Shoes and socks are a grey area as the Tax office will argue that you can wear these outside of work.

There is no harm in trying to make a claim, but you will need to prove that they are solely for work purposes only. Please also bear in mind that this might slow down the overall application, e.g. for laundry and GDC fees.   

However, nurses who work in hospitals are more likely to be successful with a shoe/sock claim over those who work in practices.

You can purchase our personalised form which will allow you to claim back uniform laundry (£100 p.a) and GDC fees (£96 p.a.).

click here

If you wish to make a claim on shoes/socks you can phone your personal tax office number which we will provide on your personal tax form.

Best regards,

Dental Nurse Network :lol:

13 years 10 months ago #498 by Vms118
It can't hurt. :laugh:

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 10 months ago #481 by sarah1988
i have paid the £5 on this site and sent of my forms, it said i may have to wait a couple of months to ehar anything back, it didnt mention anything about having to buy my own shoes and trousers etc. only laundering my uniform and claiming back GDC registration. maybe it will be worth sending another form off?? :S :huh: :S

13 years 10 months ago #394 by Vms118
I'm pretty sure the form that you can get from either the BADN or this site gives the opportunity to enter quantities of different htings but I found when i callled my local tax office they were pretty blasse (spelling) about it - "yeah, yeah trousers check" - trying to get you off the line. But to be honest I'm planning on filling out one of the forms myself for a more thorough rebate.

Essentailly it can't hurt to put qty down i guess :)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 10 months ago #393 by Lauren25
I wondered about that too, we have to buy our own shoes and trousers. Do you know if you let them know how many pairs you have bought or do they just give you a standard amount off your tax??

Thanks for your help :)

Lauren

13 years 10 months ago #379 by Vms118
ooooh, one more thing... A few months back I rang my local tax office to do this over the phone (even though I am planning on doing a more thorough written request with one of the DNN forms on the site) and asked for tax allowance and got it for the following -

GDC Registration
Indemnity costs
Laundering
Work shoes
Work Clothing

So it's always worth adding (relevant and non-fictional) stuff to your requests, as lets face it - a lot of us need it with our wages! :silly:

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #378 by Lauren25
I wrote them a letter so hopefully it had all the right info on, they'll write back to me if not I suppose.

Thank you both for your help! :)

Lauren

13 years 10 months ago #376 by Vms118
It could be well worth forking out the £5.00 this website wants for one of their forms? I'd assume it has all the relevant sections for all you can claim...worth considering. Think I will be buying one soon. Alternatively, are you a member of BADN - for indemnity etc as I believe they can do this on your behalf as part of your membership (one of the benefits) but do not quote me on that one as I am with MPS myself :)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 10 months ago #370 by shazza
Not sure if you have to put an amount. An yes you can claim for registration as it is a necessary expense to enable you to do your job. Our tax office suggested our manager wrote one letter including all our names and details.

13 years 10 months ago #368 by Lauren25
I wish to claim back tax for laundering my uniform for the past 3 years+. I'm currently writing a letter to the inland revenue but wondering if you have to put an amount for how much it costs as I have no idea??

Also can you claim for registration fees??

Lauren

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New