Pay per hour

6 years 1 month ago #8597 by unflappable
No-one has mentioned being forced to work extra hours unpaid.

I have been wanting to ask for a payrise in my job as I have passed my radiog, have become IC lead, health and safety officer and in charge of CQC compliance when I began as a regular dental nurse 3 years ago, pay never mentioned. I thought I would look at other places before I ask (if he says no I will leave - if he can't appreciate the most hardworking employee in the place he doesn't deserve my loyalty).
However I am a bit shocked at discovering other places still expecting to pay the nurse for the same number of hours that the appointment diary is open! (I thought this could not happen since 2013 as so many new requirements in infection control). In my current practice we are allocated 15 mins setup and 15 mins closedown time. Takes around 30 mins to closedown after last patient as our autoclave takes over 20 mins.

What happens in your places? Do you work for free beginning and end of day? ( I already work into every lunchhour to make sure everything is perfect as do so many other nurses).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 month ago #7142 by Figueiredo
Hristina.TMD

In my opinion you should be on 10£/hour at least.all depends where you work, and how much do they need nurses in that area.
I am dental nurse since 2014 and i win more than 11£/hour. NHS practice not private
if you can get job easily there go for it.get job first give notice in your practice and tell them in them face you are doing 120k(example) year and you can´t pay me better sorry going.
you have bills to pay... a life like them...
and new job minimum is 11£/hour be brave don't fear nothing please.
we all need to do this .. ask for more... enough is enough ....
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgriffiths, SmilingDCP

8 years 1 month ago #7137 by Hristina.TMD
Hi,
I am dental nurse from 2011 with some months gap. From last year I am fully reg dental nurse with all types CPD.At the moment I get 7p/p.
Is this normal?
What I have to do next to get more per hour?
I have Master Degree Health Managment equivalence from another cuntry. At the moment I am doing Practice Managment Course on Dental Nurse Network.All free CPD on Isopharm. Free CPD from Dentistry Exhibition. I pay for reg taxes, Crb and courses. Is this normal too? What I have to do next? Help me please?

8 years 5 months ago #6924 by Teesey
hi there DN12345
I cant say that i entirely agree with what you are saying here. I am a 49 yr old woman who started in dentistry in the late 80s!!! working for KEVIN LEWIS yes the very one at his then practice in Peterborough, I was paid 6.00 an hr then, worked for 10+ yrs then went to work in Ireland for a dentist there for 3+ years, came back to uk, had a break from dentistry for few years, then went back into industry and took the NVQ dental nursing exam, I am still working in the industry now as a senior nurse for a one man dentist and I am mentoring a 17 yr old trainee too, I pay for all courses myself but i still struggled to get £9.00 an hr. so I would say that you are lucky getting what you do with no "special skills" at present. It is not for the want of trying that most dental nurses do not get paid what they deserve and most of the nurses i have met over the MANY years I have been in practice are not lazy!!!!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karen1971

8 years 6 months ago #6901 by maisydaisey
No wonder my boss's accountant thinks he pays us too much when there are so many of us on such low wages! I am Practice Manager with 28 years experience in total (started as nurse al those years ago). I am on £13 an hours, my senior nurse who has 15 years experience is on £11 and our one other member of staff who is also qualified is on £10. We pay all our GDC fees, BADN fees and CPD costs although if there's a course that he wants us to go on he will pay for it. We don't actually have the time to go on many though because it leaves the practice short staffed.

This year we didn't get a pay rise as his accountant has told him he is paying way over the average salary. However he also gets more than the average amount of work out of us all! We don't have a steri nurse, in theory the nurses are supposed to do it but at busy times it falls to me, and as I am also the receptionist it leaves reception unmanned whilst I am on the first floor doing instruments. We have a phone and computer up there so I can still answer the phone but patients are getting away with leaving without next appointments or paying fees. We are a PRIVATE practice by the way and we feel it is not the right sort of image to be portraying to our patients. How many PM's out there wear scrubs, not a suit and do Reception all day every day, take over from the nurse at lunch time when they are running behind, stay at my desk all day(even to have my lunch), clean instruments, and that's before I start on payroll, paying the bills, and trying to keep up to date with all the legislation etc!!

Over the years he has gradually run the staffing level down so we are now at the point where if anyone wants a day off, or (God forbid!) is sick, there is no-one to cover Reception or extra to do instruments so the two who are left have to do everything.

Sorry for such a long rant, but I feel like this is all going to end badly one day with everyone handing in their notice!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Figueiredo, Newman

8 years 9 months ago #6797 by Dentalnurse5
Hi,

Thank you. Great information from you both!

I want to progress as I enjoy learning and achieving more knowledge but one of the other reasons is for financial reasons.
I'm struggling financially and it's making me think of changing careers as a result but I wouldn't know what else to do. Having feedback from other nurses on what courses would help really does help me.

Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: laurasaurus1505

8 years 9 months ago #6791 by CullenDawn71
Got sidetracked,the more qualifications you have ideally the more you should earn.

8 years 9 months ago #6790 by CullenDawn71
Hi I would say it depends on where you intend to work, if it's practice then radiography, ohe, sedation,implants as they all will come in handy, if it's hospital or community it's a bit different because they have radiographers in place and the nurses in daycase will deal with sedation.Think about the cost as well if you are paying yourself. Good luck>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dentalnurse5

8 years 9 months ago #6788 by Figueiredo
Dentalnurse5

The 2 more important if you want make progression in your career are NEBDN Certificate in Dental Radiography and NEBDN Certificate in Oral Health Education,
Implant and Sedation will be future to soon also.
And all other come after, impression and few little more.

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dentalnurse5

8 years 9 months ago #6784 by Dentalnurse5
I completely agree with you wholeheartedly on this one.

8 years 9 months ago #6783 by Dentalnurse5
Hi,

I qualified last year aswell.

May I ask what courses besides the OHE you are doing? As a newly qualified nurse Im looking at courses and not sure where to start so any experience from others would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

8 years 9 months ago #6781 by DN12345
Before ask for a pay raise, show work, go on a course ask your boss support if they don't give, you do yourself.
For example I paid 500£ myself for few courses, say them to your boss you are on a course this will send him an msg (hopefully).
More courses on your CV better chance get pay raise or new job getting more per hour also.
Nurses that call sick all time can forget it, you will never get pay raise.
;)

8 years 9 months ago #6780 by Allison
I agree with you DN12345.

Also, community dentist's and hospitals pay the proper pay scale and it's miles above private practices. To quote a phrase, I'm too long in the tooth now to move, plus I have a fabulous relationship with my patients.

Rather than a pay rise I would prefer the respect and confidence in my work from the dentist. I am still working on that one. But I do have respect from our patients and they are always happy to see I'm still there, in the past there have been so many nurses come and go looking for a better deal.

I do think job satisfaction goes a long way, remuneration is always nice and we all have bills to pay. Think I must be mellowing in my old age :ohmy:

I do think things are changing but is a slow process and lets face it, at least we're not on zero hour contracts, ( I don't know of any anyway )

As nurses are getting more recognised duties, legislation will change and eventually pay.

That's just my take on it, opinions welcome :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DN12345

8 years 9 months ago #6777 by DN12345
Hi everyone,

After been reading most of posts and topics I decided to share my opinion and experience.
I just qualified in January 2014 and recently got new job in a practice (Warminster) where we do NHS (70%) Private (30%).

I get paid 12£/hour offered an OHE course NEBDN.I´m also doing few more courses by myself.

Also CPD paid and GDC in full.

How I did get it???
Attitude, heart in work, motivation, very keen in dentistry, No been sick since I work as Dental Nurse and many others things.
That is what I don't find in Dental Nurse now a days.
Dental Nurses run by end of the day to go home on time :woohoo: , and are lazy during the day working.
Dental Nurses should go and try agency, is the only way you will ever get a good pay raise, owners of practice don’t want pay raise at all dental nurses I know that.
So simple quite your job and go agency, is only away we all will get a pay raise.

This what im saying don't apply for everyone but i will say 80% don't take me wrong.

8 years 9 months ago #6771 by Allison
As I have said before, I passed my NEBDN (national ) in 1998 and am just into my 35th year as a DN. I'm on £9 a hour, I do get half my reg fee paid but pay all my own CPD. I paid my own OHE course and exam but don't use it as our practice says the dentist can do that as they see pt's anyway. Same goes for the impression taking course.

Yet again we have not got a pay rise and this is now four years in a row :(

Can't go to another practice now cos am getting too old and nobody wants me :( :( :(

The extra duties keep piling on but we have no governing body to rely on so we can confidently question our employers. I know I daren't ask for a pay rise, there's a massive abyss between employer and employee at our place.

8 years 9 months ago #6753 by jadelouisex
Hi everyone :)

I am about to come off maternity leave and I've just been sorting out tax credits to see if we can get help with childcare. I've had three babies since 2013 ;) I forgot what my hourly rate was, I've been qualified since 2011 under the National Certificate. I'm on £8.41 an hour. Does that seem about right?

8 years 9 months ago #6737 by kitjos
I work in Lincolnshire and for a private practice - been a DN for 8 years and my pay went up 16p to £8.79 last year - this was after the dentists made a HUGE profit over the year. For being a trained profession - we are regarded so low by Dentists and the general work force. My husband drives a forklift as his job and earns 20p less than me (im passed at National qual). I pay for all my CPD, my Registration etc. Something needs to change in regards to our pay structure as im sure it will put people off this profession when they can work in a shop for near enough the same money :( x

8 years 9 months ago #6723 by sophomoreslump8
I have my OSCE's next week and when I hopefully qualify my pay will go up.- Im in the Norfolk area and wondered what is that average increase? Or what my hourly rate will go up to?

I started in 2013 as a trainee on £6.50 an hour and after my probationary period it went up to £7- we have no decon staff, no cleaners and I am left to look after the practice regularly on my own, keyholding, money handling- other reception duties, opening and locking up surgery.. There is me and one other nurse and we have to do everything. It takes the mick. We don't even work the same days and constantly finish late.

I Know it seems likea general moan but is this normal?

8 years 10 months ago #6691 by Carla1986
I work in Suffolk and started on a trainee at £7.75, when qualified this went up to £9.25. Though paying for my own OHE (over £500) course and running my own clinic did not get me a pay rise! plus have to pay for own registration and indemnity.

8 years 10 months ago #6686 by acdcfk66
agree you are worth way more thsn £10.50! I have alwasy seen RICH GDPs but never seen a RICH DSA!!! Saying that you are lucky in the respect that your boss pays for your subscription to GDC and allowance for CPD

8 years 10 months ago #6680 by RoJo
i work in a private practice, they pay for registration and we have a yearly allowance for CPD, i have been nursing for 35 years in total and 30 years at this practice... i get £10.50 an hour, and think we are all worth so much more. we work our buts off, when i started at age 16 i was told dentists are notoriously poor payers! having said that I love where i work and i'm still here.

8 years 11 months ago #6650 by Dee dee
Totally agreed with you!!

8 years 11 months ago #6649 by Dee dee
:( OMG ....£7 they are having a laugh! I rather work in a shop/ supermarket wher I just smile, do the sales, pack bags, stack shelves....
I would not work for less than £10.50........ Registration £120, insurance £100, CPD £100 plus.........
Depressing!
I am actually offended that some people think we are so worthless! :evil:

Find another practice!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Figueiredo, Carla1986

8 years 11 months ago #6642 by Allison
If agencies can pay £12 per hour and still profit themselves, why can't we as DCP's get a fair rate of pay? I don't mean to sound negative, but doing agency work means you have to pay for petrol/parking etc and are not assured of full time work indefinitely. I'm afraid we are used for our skills when it suits and not appreciated as we should be. We fall into a hole as far as rights go and there is no one there to stand up for us. Apart from working in hospitals or community we are working within the NHS remit but not FOR the NHS so basically we are at the will of private employers. As far as I can see it, we are at their mercy unless the governing body, ie the GDC, decides we are worth our salt gives ,us a wages scale that has to be adhered to.

Please tell me if I am completely missing the mark and I will stop moaning for good and just accept my lot :(

I am getting to the end of my working life, ( wanted to say career but that's a loose term ) but would like to see things improving for the younger ones starting out. We have two newly qualified NVQ'ers and one just starting off on our practice and I hate to think they will have to struggle or worse find a different job when they like the schematics of the job but everything else lets them down.

I know I go on but am passionate, I would love to find the answer and make it a happier industry for us all :blush:

8 years 11 months ago #6638 by ruiff
You can try agency always, they pay 12£/hour in South West zone. :laugh:

8 years 11 months ago #6629 by jmoss
Started nursing in 2012 & was on minimum wage. Qualified in 2013 & got a pay rise. I have done the extended duty course in fluoride application. Currently getting £9.77 an hour doing 39.5 hours a week over 6 days :pinch: I am meant to have a pay rise each year but did not receive one this year, employer didn't even mention it.

I work in the South West in a mixed practice.

My employer does not pay registration and only pays for some CPD courses (if the whole practice is doing them)

8 years 11 months ago #6609 by annabella82
hey

i think the wages in dental nursing are terrible. I am a qualified nurse in private practice in N Ireland and get £7 per hour, my employer does not contribute torwards reg fees or courses. Rubbish for the responisiblity and fees i have to pay. I love my job but i really am considering giving up and doing somthing with less responsibilities!! We are classed as DCP so why have we not got a payscale to match this??

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #6605 by Dentalnurse5
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Im glad I am not the only one. I am feeling very down about this. I've even been looking at other careers but I don't know where to even start. I love dental nursing but I just can't carry on struggling knowing it probably won't improve much even with extra qualifications.

I completely agree with you and would definitely sign a petition for this. I hope those in the know can provide some help.

Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruiff

8 years 11 months ago #6602 by Allison
Hi there,

I posted on this topic four years ago and yes I'm still at the same place and no my pay has not gone up since then. I also paid for the OHE course and exam myself but not currently being allowed to use it in my practice.

I love the job, always have but am becoming very dissolutioned and frankly quite depressed.

I was wondering if there is any way we can lobby the GDC with a petition or whatever to get them to regulate a pay scale of DN's. After all they decided to charge us a registration fee in order for us to be allowed to work. Surely it should be a two way street with some benefit/incentives for us?

What does everyone else think?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dentalnurse5, ruiff

8 years 11 months ago #6601 by Dentalnurse5
I am considering other career options as I am finding the pay so low and I'm struggling to manage on it. I've looked at dn roles elsewhere but all similar low pay. I've tried negotiating only to be told no to pay rise. I have had a lot of responsibility in my role and that doesn't seem to help.

I feel very down about this as I thought with experience and qualifying this would help but on reading posts it seems even if you have been a dn for years the pay hardly changes.

I was aware the pay want great but thought with time etc it would improve.

I love the job and find it so interesting but I'm at a loss as what to do.

10 years 1 week ago #6101 by Ekw
Hi

I agree with a previous nurse that it'd be hard to get everyone on same pay in practice due to different practice's and employers.I'm so glad I work in nhs! Dental nurses start on £18000-£21000 and as a senior I'm now on £27901 principal dental nurses are £28000-£35000 (ish) we get paid holidays and sick pay, pension a lot of courses are funded for us,we pay our own GDC for cpd most are through the organisation so we don't pay them only non core we will pay ourselves,I can't really complain really, might battle with nhs politics but I could never move.
I don't know if anything will ever be done with pay time will tell?

10 years 1 week ago #6097 by whitelock
I've been a dental nurse for 10 years in September. I also hold the OHE and Radiography qualifications. I recently went for a job interview and was offered £8.20 per hour....I'm currently on £11.10 - which I know is very good compared to most. It just made me angry that with all my experience and extra qualifications, and after telling them how much I am on now, they still only offered what they did.
No wonder no-one feels appreciated in their roles!!!
It annoys me so much because as a lot of you have pointed out, we're in a VERY wealthy job....why are WE not paid well enough yet the dentists are? I know we aren't qualified like the dentists are but if it weren't for us a lot of them wouldn't be able to do their flippin' jobs!!! Rant (another one haha!) over :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruiff, Dee dee

10 years 1 month ago #6020 by Nurseholly
I've been working as a nurse 3 years and newly qualified. However just found out I'm only going up 30p an hour to 5.60!!! Definitely considering looking elsewhere

11 years 2 months ago #3361 by MrsW
The only problem with our pay is that it's the practice owner who pays us, so we'll all be on very different wages from one nurse to the next. I don't think we would be able to strike would we? As we're not all paid by one body we're already on different rates depending where we work and who we work for...? I'd love for us to be paid by our qualifications and level of experience rather than each nurse gets paid the same *sigh*
I'm afraid there isn't much we can do about it really?

11 years 3 months ago #3088 by babyboo79
Hi all

I so wish I was on the wages some of you guys are! I have been a qualified DN for14 years. I have my radiography e Tracy and I'm currently doing my sedation. I currently still only get £8.16 p/h, 4 weeks hol + bank hols, no paid sick pay, some CPD paid but not GDC. Looking at this I'd definitely say we are pretty poor off in the north east as this is one of the best paying practices! Nurses really need to start being paid for their worth and this will only happen by reinstating the pay scale!

11 years 3 months ago #3082 by sam_stoddart
Im 23, i have 7 years experience and have been qualified for 4years i have not got any other dental qualifications - this is going to change as i have a new job that will put me on courses! woohoo

im in cambridgeshire, my previous job i was on £10.88 an hour, 4 weeks paid holiday + bank holidays, no sick pay, CPD was paid for and so was my GDC fees and insurance. I left because i thought this was rubbish! as other nurses that had only been qualified a year and have only 3 years experience where on the same pay as me and where getting put on courses where they would not allow / pay for me to do any courses at all!

11 years 4 months ago #3023 by amandaliese
No it certainly is not ..

11 years 4 months ago #3022 by amandaliese
Hi there . I qualified as a dental nurse at Portsmouth university I mentored 16yr olds dental nurses students i have a valuble job which commands decent money £12.50 hr which is what we are worth if we work hard and are valued .. !!

11 years 4 months ago #3021 by amandaliese
I'm a fully qualified nurse you should be demanding at least £11.50 hr !!!

11 years 4 months ago #3020 by amandaliese
I find it incredible that these young nurses are working for £6.50 an hour something needs to be done

11 years 4 months ago #3019 by Louise
There is a fantastic Union out there who are trying deperately to organise some kind of pay scale and rights for us Blue Chip staff association , I am a member!

11 years 4 months ago #3017 by DNN
Hi DN's

Please take 50 seconds max and complete the below salary survey as we only have 1900 entries!

You will be able to review results so far after completing!

Thank you,

survey.constantcontact.com/survey/a07e3y00dvego4gfiqa/start

11 years 4 months ago #2956 by starlight17.02
I work in Leyton, London, and I get £7.50p/h, and I have been GDC registered for 2 years.
I truly don't believe I am worth only this much as I am the lead nurse and part-time receptionist, but hey, it's so close to home and my kiddies that I agreed on it. I intend on taking the Dental Radiography course next year and will expect a pay rise.
It does depend on the employer and yes, for what we do as dental nurses, we are underpaid.

P Hylton

11 years 5 months ago #2927 by emmamortimer
WOW !

I can't believe this thread is still going strong after 2 years :) ?!

I now have nearly 17 years experience and my role consists of Infection control lead- audits , practice first aider, i have DHE appts with children and give talks at schools and nurseries . Qualified to apply fluoride varnish under prescription from a dentist. Stock managment and ordering ,Equipment maintenance , COSHH , monthly dip slides for the DWLU's and more i've forgot to mention !

Currently earning 76p more an hour than i was back then...which i suppose isn't bad ?!

11 years 5 months ago #2925 by dumpling81
This debate has been going on for yrs but it's still always interesting to know what the current pay rates are throughout the country....

I live in the east Berkshire area and see pay as low as £7 per hr to as high as £12.50 - more for agency work. I'm currently on £9 starting rate which will be reviewed and raised yearly.

11 years 5 months ago #2863 by Ekw
Hi there it's an older topic but most probably still very relevant. I work in hospital as a senior and at present I make £25,585 I am on an agenda for change pay scale top of my banding is just under £28000 so I consider myself very lucky as I have an Nhs pension, paid holidays and sickness. And there is scope to move to the next payband as a principal which goes up to around £35000. I don't thnk practice nurses get the wage they deserve after seeing the other messages

11 years 5 months ago #2853 by anotida
Hi thats a good idea lets do something about it we must not the employers get away with it.We need to valued as we do much in these practices.

13 years 3 weeks ago #1283 by neilched
I am a qualified registered dental nurse with 15 years exp. Three years ago my wages were 9.50 which im not arguing is not bad compared to some but it is bad compared to nurses in other practices in my area who I know are on £12 ish an hour. The other thing is that my role has totally changed in the last year and I now hardly nurse as I do all what a practice manager would do. I do ordering, sort maintenance and serving etc, I sort banking, I have interviewed and recruited new staff, sorted their contracts. I also do alot of the cleaning in the practice. And as I only work 2 days a week I have covered sick at sort notice and holidays, have had to sort out emergency child care as I have a 20 month old, and I take regular calls from staff, head office etc out of my hours. I have also had to do many things out of work for them. I should put my foot down maybe but I enjoy the role I just want to be recognised a bit more an get a pay rise. Do you think im asking to much? How much should I be getting? Thanks Guys

13 years 1 month ago #1267 by janette
we have no practice manager just the Dentist he is a one man band
3 nurses all on £6.20 per hour no hes telling us thers no money for CPR courses
we have said we are no paying are own.
We pay for CPD courses at £5.00 each courses £2.00 to park our cars
pay for are own uniforms also pay for Registration and indem.insurance
we have now had enough.

13 years 1 month ago #1258 by fay_123
I think it depends on the managment and how well the pratice is doing as a whole, i have been at this pratice for 3 years now, i qualified last july i was made seinor nurse and im on 9.50 per hour and it goes up every year. i must say im well looked after but alot of my friends that are dental nurses are on varied salarys, there needs to be some kind of guidance on pay for pratices because its not fair at the end of the day were all doing the same job.

13 years 1 month ago #1199 by funkeyprincess
Hi
I am a trainee dental nurse and earn £6ph (The same as I earned when I worked on reception). I work in a specialist orthodontic practice, and work on rota with the other nurses with 5 orthodontists. I work in Kent and my practice is owned by a very large corporate company. Is this wage a decent wage??

13 years 3 months ago #1126 by SmileNurse
Hi Karma

Any progress on your idea of doing something about the pay we get as nurses?

Please get back to me

13 years 3 months ago #1125 by janette
my boss pays us £6.20 per hour we asked for pay rise said he could not afford one
now hes getting a partner so were is that money coming from
now that CQC is coming we have to have CRB checks do we pay for them i hope not as we now have to pay even more out to come to work

13 years 3 months ago #1119 by Allison
Thanks Shazza. By your description of my boss it sounds as if you've met him lol!
He is an arse but my DN collegues are so nice and he treats us all like s**t so we all hang in together. Thers a core of us that stay put but we do have a regular turn over of staff. I keep looking for other jobs but for some reason they are few and far between in our area

13 years 3 months ago #1118 by shazza
Allison, run for the hills!!! You boss sounds like a complete arse! You are definately being taken advantage of. My favourite quote which I often use on my dentist is "why is my job so important when I want a day off but not so important when I want a payrise" I have worked withbthe same dentist for 23 years and earn 11.16 an hour. I think I deserve more but he is good in other ways. I get 7 weeks paid holiday plus bank holidays and he is really flexible with me cos I have 2 kids. He's on holiday for 2 weeks at the moment and has told me I don't have to be in for 9 and I can leave early to pick the boys up from school if I want. He's also said as long as all the work is done I don't have to bother working every day!! I'm not bragging, just trying to make the point that nice caring dentists are out there you just need to move on and find one. You sound like a very dedicated nurse and should reap some rewards for this and not put up with being treated in such a way. X

13 years 3 months ago #1117 by Allison
I've just spent the best part of an hour reading all the above about wages and am now totally depressed. I just thought I had bad judgement when choosing an employer but it seems like the majority of dentists take us for granted. I have 30 YES 30 years experience and qualified in 1988. My boss braggs that together we have the highest number of years experience as a dentist/nurse team in our area. He takes the credit for any work related problems I solve and blames me for all the 'mis-haps'. I was having personal problems and went down to a 3 day week which I intended to be short term but he won't let me go back full time now I'm sorted, even though other staff have left and he's advertised for new ones. I'm currently doing my OHE but in my own time as he won't let me out of surgery and says when I pass it he won't give me up as his nurse - I know I'm a damned good nurse!-. I travel 1 hour to get to work and 1 hour to get home. I'm first in at 8.30am and last out at 6pm. I set up 4 surgeries and the clean room every morning then set up reception and take emrgency calls. The other staff think I'm on a fortune cos of experience and qualified and don't believe me when i tell them I'm on £9 an hour, consequently they leave a lot of work for me to do and do bare minimum. Why do I stay? I live in hope of fair pay for us ALL and I love my job and our patients are wonderful. I've met some truly lovely people.

13 years 4 months ago #1105 by katswiss
where did you get this info from so i can show it to my boss ? I qualified in 98 and only get £7.50 per hour.

13 years 4 months ago #1081 by shazza
Weren't the BADN supposed to be working on our behalf to do something about the extortionate retention fee we have to pay? What did they achieve? Worse than nothing! A rise of £24. Thanks for nothing.

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #1080 by peterembling
Someone on this forum said that dental nurses do not have a trade union - but you do have one - the BADN.

13 years 4 months ago #1054 by Tianna
Hi everyone,I'm also working in Oxfordshire area ( 11 years of experience and on only 8.30 per hour).My pay is stagnant for about 3 years now...I feel very very under valued as u can imagine.Most of us are in the same boat.The dentists/practice owners demand more responsibility with all this new regulations...
We have to pay to be able to work ( CPD,registration...).
I think we need to join the union or something..maybe that will be a first little step to improve our pay or conditons.
What do you think?

13 years 4 months ago #996 by dumpling81
Hi there.
Its quite sad reading some of the comments here and seeing how much(or should i say little!!!) some highly experienced and qualified nurses are getting.
It varies alot from region to region too.
Im in london and got about 7.60per hr as a trainee. since going to private nhs practice i've been paid 8 per hr when some girls who qualified when i did were getting on average 10 per hr. based on that i won't take the job if it's less than 10.
i'm temping right now and get 10.50 per hour but i'm holding out for a hospital job as the benefits,training and pay are better imo.

13 years 5 months ago #881 by ClaireLGDawes
In regards to the maternity one, your boss only has to legally give you your hours that you left on but if you return back wanting less then he can offer you want he wants. it happened to me 5 years ago. I knew before I left for maternity leave that i couldnt carry on working full time so before I left I requested to reduce my hours, that way to guarentee me that i would come back on hours that I could do. I was reassured by my boss and practice manager that all would be fine, I could have the hours I wanted when I returned.
2 weeks before I was due to return; on what I thought was going to 3 days a week any but a thursday, my mum who would be looking after my daughter worked a night shift on a wednesday meaning she hadnt slept since tuesday night;
my boss rang to say they cant offer me any more hours other than 12 hours(4 hours a day INCLUDING a thursday) or my old full time contract.
I thought I meant more to the practice and the practice manager but obviously not. Employers know we are vulnerable at this time in life but their true colours shine through when we least expect it!!!

I hope you get this sorted and if he has broke his contract I he gets to face the consequences.

13 years 6 months ago #859 by Gooders
This goes back to my earlier post...name & shame.....I'd suggest contacting the GDC. For all their money grabbing......they should be made have matters like this brought to their attention. This Dentist is bringing the profession into disrepute with their under hand behaviour.

I'm like Marmite, you'll either love me or hate me.

13 years 6 months ago #855 by Vms118
His past experience shouldn't affect your employment, it's that simple. Ans he's still breaking the law. Just don't forget that as long as you stay polite, professional you'll have the upper hand in this matter.

Good Luck :)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 6 months ago #852 by angelicjay
thanks guys ..believe me i was furious but didnt know if it was right??
but i know exaxtly what hes doing hes keeping me around to fill in for holidays for other members of staff...and because the last pregnant girl he gave part time hours to after maternity messed him around didnt turn up and then quit so hes branding me with the same brush so to speak..... but im gutted cus i love where i work and dont wanna leave ...and im worried if i cause a fuss im going to have to

:( .. but ur all right it cant go on thankyou for all your help im gonna check out those websites....

p.s anyone got any jobs going???????? lol xx

13 years 6 months ago #842 by Vms118
That is horrendous, well done for sounding so calm angel. I don't think I could stay that calm with such an infringement of your rights. If the above addy is lacking in any sort of way, this one is always very useful -

www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm

Good luck.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 6 months ago #839 by hstuchfield
www.acas.org.uk
This is there site,

13 years 6 months ago #838 by hstuchfield
What he's done is illegal, I used to be in hr and your maternity rules state he has to offer your exact job back. I suggest u go and see a good solicitor for your free half and hour assessment and then see what they say. But your seriously protected by the law when your on maternity. This happened to a friend of mine and she threatened them with court action through a solicitor and they paid her £10,000 compensation. I'm not suggesting you do this! But u need to let him know that what's happened is more than wrong it's illegal.
Give ACAS a call as they will help you too, and it's a free service.

13 years 6 months ago #835 by KLKennedy
:huh: That's shocking! Try the Citizens' Advice Bureau or direct.gov website, they're probably you're best bet. That's seriously out of order though. Your boss was bound to know what hours you were planning on doing when you returned to work. If you didn't need to, you wouldn't have had to return to work! Your boss wants to be more grateful, 1 for your loyalty & 2 for your experience. What a.........
Maybe even try the BADN if you're a member. Sorry I can't help with more specific info. :S

Kirsty

13 years 6 months ago #834 by angelicjay
hi all...... im looking for some advice really
ive worked at the same practice for 5 years as a full time dental nurse
and have just gone back to work after maternity leave with my first child
to find i have been replaced with a new nurse and he is only offering me 4 hours a week!!
is this right? what can i do i need help :(

13 years 7 months ago #783 by louise7380
I cant believe the differences between everyones pay. it varies so much!
When I was in the 'high st' 14 yrs ago, my starting wage was £3 whilst I was training. when I was qualified it increased by £1 per hour, I stayed there for 5 yrs and when I left I wasnt on much more than that, think it was around £5-£6 per hour.
I now work for the NHS in the community, and have 10yrs service next yr, which means my holiday goes up to 33 days, bank holidays are on top, so makes it 39days, get paid sickness, and I now earn just under £11 per hour. I also get travel paid every month which increases my salary monthly to between £150 - £300 extra a month.
I moan, but am never going to again. I have looked at going back into the high street, but the salary drop is too much.

I totally agree that there should be a set salary scale that the dentists HAVE to adhere to, we all need more recognition.

13 years 8 months ago #598 by JulieMc
Hi, I have only just recently realised how underpaid I seem to be!!! I have been a qualified dental nurse since 1991, worked continually in the profession the whole time, and earn a measly £7.75 an hour full-time!!

13 years 8 months ago #597 by gb1623
thank you x

13 years 8 months ago #596 by Vms118
You can but try - good luck with that.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 8 months ago #595 by gb1623
thanks looking for 1 as we speak, but will try talking to her and see where it gets me

13 years 8 months ago #594 by Vms118
Ah. One of those situations. High staff turnover? uncompromisable employer? they'll never change even though their own faults (and we all have them lets face it) are slapping them in the face?

Had one of those situations myself (who hasn't i guess), choices - suck it up or look for another job I guess.

:unsure:

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 8 months ago #592 by gb1623
knowing my boss she will tell me to take a hike I have only been there 3 years and I have been there the longest, she isnt really a people person lol

13 years 8 months ago #591 by Vms118
It's not really unreasonable. I would suggest to him that as you are on equal pay, you should have equal responsibilties and therefore have to do less (as in she'll take on some of your tasks) and see what he says?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 8 months ago #589 by gb1623
A little rant from me, our trainee dental nurse ( she has been doing the job for 18 months) found out over the weekend that she passed her exam, (well done her) anyway she went to see the boss today to ask for a pay rise, the boss said she will be on the same hourly rate as me, I'm quite insullted by this as I train the Dental Nurses have been doing the job for 17 years and qualified for 15, is it unresonable for me to expect more or does experiance really count for nothing????????

13 years 8 months ago #563 by emmamortimer
Hey fellow dental nurses

I finally got a raise of 76p per hour, making it up to £9.00 per hour now !!

:)

13 years 8 months ago #562 by gb1623
Hi, I'm head nurse with 17 years experiance and qualified for 15 years I work in a NHS practice and only get £8.27 per hour, Im also an OHE, I have extra responsibilties like training and mentoring our trainee dental nurse I think it is terrible the hourly rate we all get paid, we are all now registered professional and our pay should ( but doesnt) reflect this !!!!!!!!!

13 years 8 months ago #561 by KLKennedy
I'm a senior dental nurse with 13yrs experience (11 post qualification), also have my OHE certificate, I get paid £10 per hour in a mainly private practice. I don't think dental nurses are paid as well as we should be, especially as the practice couldn't run without us, nor do I think we should be paying the same retention fee as hygienist when they average 3 times as much as nurses. Very under appreciated. I also carry out some of the practice manager's duties because she finds all the excuses under the sun not to do them, let's just say she's expert at looking busy!! None of the nurses where I work feel we're paid our worth. :unsure:

Kirsty

13 years 9 months ago #552 by gb1623
I've been a DN for 17 years and qualified for 15, I currently get £8.27 PH, last year we got a 0.25% pay rise (woo hoo) I currently train and mentor our trainee DN's I am the only qualified DN where I work so all the responsibility is on my shoulders. I am really lucky the Dentists I wok with are all fantastic, I am in a slightly diffent position to most as our Dental practice is based and run by a GP's surgery so they are the ones who pay our wages. I work along side RGN who get paid 3 times our wages and get more benefits and holiday entitlement, there is one benefit to working in a GP NHS practice we get a 10 % discount card at Boots, I suppose something is better than nothing.

13 years 9 months ago #551 by Vms118
@ herman - Would you be so kind as to share the details of the implant coordinator course you attended please? and is it the straumann advance course you are going to? if so i'll likely see you there! :)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #549 by lozza
heya i'm a qualified nurse with 2yrs experience, i'm also lead implant nurse. currently on £7.76 an hr. in september i'm going on a course to become an implant co-ordinator and in november a course for advanced implant nursing, hope i get a pay rise after doing all that! no-one discusses pay in my practice but i am interested to know what the more "senior" nurses are on even though they do hardly any hours and leave extra work for the "younger" nurses to do!!! rant over lol! :cheer:

13 years 9 months ago #522 by sarah1988
i think agency nurses generally can get more £PH but depends if they can get the hours to earn the £. i work for a big corporate and earn £7PH, ii think its not a great wage for how much work i do but nobody notices anything unless its not done!!

13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #518 by Piggy
I am working for an agency in south wales and get £9.50 per hour, i have 7 years experience qualified for 2

13 years 9 months ago #494 by holman
i would think about leaving even if u love the place they dont value you or your work.
i left a great place with lovely ppl for the same reason after 3 failed trainee nurses they asked me back on £2 an hour more i refused as i was on good money where i was so saying they cant afford it is rubbish. the girls before me are right its how much they think they can get away with x

13 years 9 months ago #491 by angel
To pay you £6 per hour is ridiculous. I really sometimes wonder how do they sleep at night. Our cleaning lady earn more than that. :huh:

13 years 9 months ago #490 by janette
i am on 6 pounds per hour asked my dentist for pay rise he says he cant afford
any more :woohoo:

13 years 9 months ago #479 by bone
hi ive recently joined the site and read all the threads
currently im on £8.40 although its still quite poor as i have 12 years qualified and 14 years altogether.
i feel that if the GDC wants to to be regulated and pay for this as well as the cpd requirements then it needs to be regulated by a governing body, with a payscale and a union, to fight for us so we have a voice.

13 years 9 months ago #459 by vanda1926
Hey - I know Im on £9 PH - I have been qualified for 9 yrs - but have 12 yrs exp!!Think tho it also depends on which part of the country u come from - Im in the east Anglia - how about you?

13 years 9 months ago #450 by hodgesaarh
To answer the original question, there is no set payscale for nurses employed outside of NHS community (they go on hospital NHS scale). Dentists will pay what they think they can get away with.
Corporates tend to pay even less. I don't know what area you are working in, but if you were in North Yorkshire, that's a pretty good hourly rate for around here.

I believe the BADN has an advised payscale on their website (you'd need to double check).

You can also look on the internet for help with asking for a pay rise, there are some useful sites that give you advice on the best way to go about it.

13 years 9 months ago #443 by calvin01
Hi,
I think you should expect more than your current hourly rate. The Senior nurses at my last company were being paid £10.20 ph-they had more responsibilities than just nursing but had less yrs experience than you do.They were not only expected to perform to an excellent level, train junior staff to an excellent level but also carry out audits and give feedback to the Head Nurse on others performance. I think the amount you should expect very much depends on what your employer is expecting from you in your role.
Kate :)

13 years 9 months ago #442 by sofiameds08
Woosh ! ya'll get payed DIRT in UK.
I cant believe my eyes.

On top on getting a low pay, most of you are mistreated and unappreciated, Seriously, go on strike, dont just settle MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.
(easier said, than done.... ) hehe

On the positive note, I feel most of ya'll have a caring heart towards the patient and the dental profession and a positive outlook in life, SO I do applaud you in that sense.

;)

13 years 10 months ago #361 by duchesspink
In Edinburgh, dental nurses in my practice were starting on £5.50, and qualified nurses on approx £8 at a push!

I have 20 yrs experience, nursing, implant nursing and was a practice manager of two practices, my princely sum for doing this £9.90 per hour!

Thank god i'm out of it now, i'll be looking for a nurse job this time around, i'd rather earn the same nursing as i did managing, i nursed most days anyway!

13 years 10 months ago #320 by scott
Hi I am a senior dental nurse at private practice in the south west, hold 2 post qualifications and had to beg to be given any pay increase when i passed these CRAZY i know. And the annoying thing is it felt like i was begging yes begging for some financian renumication for passing these exams from my non clinical practice manager.
Does not seat well with me when someone who has never done a days nursing is telling me how much i am worth so at the moment i am on £9.50 an hour which i had to fight tooth and nail for. :angry:

13 years 10 months ago #314 by GURU
I have not gone through all the posts, but I gather that the average per hour wages is between 6.50 -9.50 ... which I think is really low for us.
The job description is ever changing and with GDC asking for the nurses to do more CPD, the GDC should set the minimum salary for both trainee and qualified nurses.

Personally I get 10 an hour, I work as locum in outskirts of London.

13 years 10 months ago #311 by Vms118
Ossy that is criminal, only £1.00 p/h more than the trainees? harsh.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 10 months ago #309 by ossymaz35
hi all, i've been a qualified DN for over 17 years and am still only on £7.25 p/hr
i am only getting about £1 an hour more than the trainees at our practice. its a very large place with about 10 dentists and 2 hygeinists. i only work part time due to family commitments so dont have many extra duties, but am involved in the training of new nurses and oral health on children (for which i get no extra)
its terrible that for the amount of work we have to put in to not only do the job, but to gain the necessary qualifications, that the rates of pay do not recognise it!!!

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New