best / worst parts of nursing

13 years 6 months ago #972 by haighs
Hi this message is for sofiameds08

you mention you like working on your own and mention Polish/temps/imps i was just wondering what qualifications you have to do polish/temps and where did u do these courses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #970 by fifi
I love my job but as with anything there are ups and downs.

The bit I love most is treating children and the elderly. I like when the dentist runs off halfway through to put an xray through or fetch something and I get to actually strike up conversation with people! (Its rare as they mostly have their mouths open or are talking to the dentist). We see such a wide range and variety of people - I have had some most random conversations!

And I love being part of a childs experience of the dentist, I'll do anything to make them laugh and I love to reassure them when they're nervous. I have the patience of a saint and its something dentists LOVE - as most of them don't have the time of day for kids!

The bit I hate most is probably this one thing that I am pretty sure most of you will agree on. Now I am not scared of blood or queasy and I have never fainted or thrown up at the sight of anything.....

.... the SPITOON TRAP.

Oh my god, when I pull that thing up out of the hole - its tissues AT THE READY. That thick shoelace of gob, sometimes green, sometimes red is just hanging out there, swinging around and getting longer... inching closer and closer to my shoes.

Makes me want to barf :( I would tease the dentist with it, but even I'm not that low :(

13 years 6 months ago #969 by Bex123
I like the variety in the working day that I've never found with any other job - Some days it's all examinations, some days treatment or a mixture of both, some days I work on reception and some days I am in the sterilisation room all day.

I also like working closely with patients and the public, I feel that in the NHS, especially as we see Dental Helpline patients, it's very rewarding - if they appreciate the treatment they're getting of course!

I also feel it's well paid, although I know most nurses disagree! I have only been qualified and registered a month though so I'll probably change my way of thinking in a few years lol.

Dislikes would be the running late and rarely finishing on time, but this goes with the job in my opinion so I can't complain I guess. Oh and rude patients but I'm pretty sure the public are rude wherever you go!

13 years 6 months ago #968 by sofiameds08
I love taking x-rays and working on my own...(polish,temps,alginate etc.)

the worst part for me is, when I have to assist standing up, sometimes he wants to sit and sometimes he wants to stand up for hours !!!!!!!!!!!!

I also find it harder to assist standing....

13 years 8 months ago #807 by andyc
Hi all,

What do you like most and least about dental nursing? Biggest joys and greatest frustrations?

Moderators: DNN

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New