References and CV writing

4 years 10 months ago #8957 by unflappable
No reason for the your dentist on maternity leave to feel awkward about giving a reference. Nurses change jobs sometimes! Good dental nurses are sought after!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #8956 by unflappable
If looking to move I would include my current employer's details and carefully write - please do not contact present employer unless the job is offered. (I think this is normal practise but it doesn't hurt to make this clear).

4 years 10 months ago #8936 by 73anms11asne
Hi all,

Could you give me advice with regards to job hunting, CV writing and how to list your references in a CV, please?

I am looking into changing jobs, I have a CV almost ready a referee from a former employer (non-dental) and two professional referees: one is a former colleague (associate dentist) who has changed practices since, and another is a work colleague (associate dentist) from my current work place who is fully supportive of me and very happy give me a great reference, but she is currently on a maternity leave. My questions are:

1.) Must I also list my current employer, her name and practice contact information (address, phone number & email address) in the reference section in my CV and, if yes, when are prospective employers likely to contact my current employer? Is it before they offer me a job? Or after I have accepted a job offer?

2.) Does it come across as dodgy if I leave my employer and the practice contact details out of my CV?

3.) Will I put my colleague at my current workplace in an awkward position (I know that she HAS given references to former nurse colleagues over years and she still works at the practice and can most certainly hold her own!)?

4.) Can I just list the associate dentist at my current work place in my CV together with the practice address, but replace the rest of the practice contact details with her phone number and personal email address? We do not have individual work email addresses at work but all email correspondence in and out goes into one inbox, where all staff can see it.

It is not that I do not like my employer and that she would not give me a great reference, on the contrary, but I rather she and the rest of my colleagues found out only when I hand in my notice. I can't even ask any former nurse colleagues for advice as they are all still chummy with each other so everything would come out.

I greatly appreciate any help & advice you can offer. Many thanks in advance.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New