Early career advice?

4 years 11 months ago #8918 by marisialy
Hi Babe
I ve started my career in dentistry at 30, and recently qualified.
It can be though some days, but hey not every day is the same. Just give yourself time and be patient and moat important calm. You will learn as you go.
I ve been doing it for past three years..
Yes it can be overwhelming, tiring some days but rewarding in other ways. You might meet so nice people on your journey.
Give it time..
All the best on this new adventure.. X

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 11 months ago #8913 by VanessaR
Hi!
I agree with everything the other poster has said! But the main 2 things I would say is don't be afraid to ask questions - others have been doing this a long time but dental nursing is a constant learning curve - and they'll be more willing to help if you ask rather than just do things you're unsure about.
Secondly, you're not going to learn it all at once so don't panic! It takes some longer than others but it takes everyone time. Things will start to fall into place and make sense and one day it will all click!

Good luck :)

4 years 11 months ago #8912 by unflappable
Have a good night's sleep so your brain is super alert every day.
Each evening look at tomorrow morning's list. Arrive early to make sure your morning trays are carefully prepared (this takes longer than you might expect). Come back 10 mins early from lunch to prepare the afternoon's trays. Then you won't feel flustered. If you don't know what's needed for a procedure, ask your dentist. If your dentist tends to arrive one second before the patient appointment time ask them to come earlier and go through setup with you... they will appreciate you making the effort.
Remember what you're there for: room + procedure prep, patient prep, patient care (comfort + safety ie retraction, suction, monitoring), dentist assisting (light, mixing, passing, measuring, note-taking). We are also there to protect our dentist if any accusation is made
Keep your Levisons as bedtime reading. The charting and the language of teeth will seem difficult at first then suddenly become clear. If you take the typodonts (teeth + jaw models) into the lunchroom with you each day any questions you want to ask the other nurses to 'point + explain'. At the beginning I was too shy to ask my dentist ... so busy and I didn't want to waste his time. I learned most from other nurses.
Also, keep in mind that although your dentist tells you this is the way to do a procedure, other dentists will insist their way is right (with the same outcome in mind!)
Good luck - there is a real enjment in taking care of every patient perfectly!

5 years 1 week ago #8906 by Canidothis2019
Hi

I’m nearly thirty and just recently started at a dental surgery as a trainee dental nurse.

I have spent my entire working life working in hospitality.

I wanted an adult job!

I got one, now I’m totally overwhelmed, I feel totally out of my depth... any advice on how to cope?

Did everyone else feel this way? All the other dental nurse in my surgery have been there a long time, therefore just seem like everything is easy!

Thanks

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New