Why are tooth surfaces different on paper?

8 years 8 months ago #6864 by Ekw
Hi

It's a perfectly valid question and not stupid question at all. The main thing you need to remember is the mouth isn't flat like the picture so you have to imagine that the picture is like an OPG its a flat image of a face (not flat) if you wrapped the OPG around your patients face it would fit so imagine the flat picture curving like the mouth.

I hope this is helpful I'm not explaining quite like it is in my head!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 8 months ago #6850 by HaggisMaiden
I'll try and word this best i can. Sorry if it's a stupid question but i'm still a trainee, and it has confused me while trying to learn all the surfaces.

On the computer, or paper chart, an MOD filling is recorded horizontally. Like "---". But when a dentist showed me an MOD filling on an actual tooth of a patient, it was vertical, from top to bottom, rather than side to side. This has confused me cos i'd learned mesial, distal, etc going by the charts on paper. So now when i'm looking at an actual tooth i'm having to remind myself that it's the opposite.

Does this make any sense? Does anyone else have this problem? Just can't understand why they don't chart the surfaces the same way on paper that they are in the mouth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New