Post Reg Qualifications

10 years 1 month ago #6106 by AliT91
Hi guys,

Thanks for commenting. I work in a private practice with a small nhs contract for children, the principle dentist does sedation and no one had the sedation qualification, I think that will be my first port of call. Fingers crossed she lets me do it :)

Thanks again
Ali

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 1 month ago #6104 by whitelock
Hi :)
I hold the OHE and Radiography courses.
At my old practice, they asked me to do OHE as they wanted one for the practice therefore I was used as much as they could allow time for me. Current practice aren't interested :(
I decided to do the Rad course off my own back (at the time I wanted to go into Hygiene/Therapy) so paid for it myself, they wouldn't have paid for me to do it as they aren't interested in a nurse who can take rads when all the dentists already take them. In my current practice all nurses take PANs - with the dentist assisting with set up but they aren't qualified to do so which annoys me!!
I really urge nurses to better themselves if it is what you really want to do, but currently I'm looking for a new job and even though they are on my CV no-one seems interested in either of them and it doesn't help with the wage side of things either. :(
I agree with Ekw - if there are a lot of children that need some really beneficial OHE then point it out!
I hope you manage to find a case to take to your practice and they allow you to do it!

10 years 1 month ago #6084 by Ekw
Hi there

I think you'd need to look at what your practice needs by that I mean if they have a lot of children patients OH would be hugely beneficial especially if you teamed it with childsmile you could take over that side while your dentist writes up notes or talks to parent?
Sedation would only benefit if your practice actually does sedation on your patients.
The radiography I have and use it semi regular as I'm in hospital but when in community I used it daily! I'd take them, develop and mount or bring up on computer for dentist while they did other things which can be time saving.
If you always work with the same dentist you could talk to them and see which one they could really let you get into and build up but obviously it has to be the one your interested in aswell .

10 years 1 month ago #6083 by AliT91
Hi everyone

I hope you can help.
I am a recently Qualified DN and am very interested in doing some post reg qualifications. I spoke to the principle dentist at my practice and she said that i have to put a 'case' to her saying how i would make it work for her and the practices benefit, rather than nurses just doing extra qualifications for the sake for it.

I was just wondering if anyone with extra qualifications (i.e. radiography, OH education, dental nurse sedation) makes them work in there practice.

any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance :)

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New