Holiday Pay and when it is payed. PLEASE HELP!!

13 years 9 months ago #615 by Vms118
Good for you for sticking up for yourself. You make sure you take them up on that offer if needs be, they are really good at scaring people/organisations into acting (even though the actually have no legal power at all - but dont tell the boss that ;) )

Now my answer to her objections would have been, politely (I don't know why I like lists so much, sorry) -

1. I already do "financially help the practice" I make your job possible by assisting you and I comfort patients so they want to come visit you - therefore facilitating financial transactions within the business. AKA helping you make money.

2. Why don't you budget for needing to pay agency/cover staff? after all it is your business and not mine. Wanna swap places? i'll pay you your holiday pay as a nurse when you take it and i'll gladly own the practice for the "stress" of budgeting for 24 days a year of your now (nurses) underpaid salary.

It makes me sick sometimes, when you actually look at how much the income of a practice is, even weighing that against insurance/memberships, utilities, staff wages, maintenance bills etc etc and how much of a fuss they kick up about the smallest of things.

My biggest grief to do with money at the moment is that my boss asked me a few months ago to do xmas cover this year, for six days strate, be able to get to the practice within 40 mintues, be sober for all the time we are on call and be phone contactable at all times i.e. answer even if your using the loo. Which is fine, I hate xmas and love working/making money (who doesn't) So when I asked, "how much do I get paid for being on call for 9 hours a day with all of these conditions" - My wonderful boss answered "paid?" So after me refusing to work for 6 days without pay, as I would not expect her to (and she most definately would not I assure you) she has since treated me like a criminal and simply made my life a misery - which is fantastic. But I refuse to budge. Phew rant over.

Anyhoo, I hope it all goes ok for you. Remember - Power to the people! :silly:

Victorus Aut Mortis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 9 months ago #614 by koisteeeee
Thanks guys. I've spoken to citezens advice and they say this shouldn't be allowed. I have now spoken to my boss and apprently, we get paid a 2 months after we take out holiday to "financally help the practice."

Now this annoyed me and the other nurse as they give themselves over £2k per month and they are telling me they can't afford to give me my £400 holiday pay. She also tried fobbing me off with the old "they used to do that when I worked in Marks and Spencers" She's been a dentist for 9 years and didn't work at all while she trained, so basically 15 years ago! She also tried telling me to budget, which I do but as it happens I had to book new flights to Turkey as the airline we were booked with went bust and I had to take 3 extra days off work to allow for the flights to be changed so I wasn't expecting to pay £400 for tickets instead of £200 and book and extra 3 days off!

She's finally said she'll look into it and citizens advice have said they'll help if she doesn't change anything.

I'll let you all know how it pans out!

13 years 9 months ago #609 by lavalette
Yes I would like to know how it turns out as well.

My wage is the same every month even if I am on hols so I dont have your problem. I get by by budgeting. But I see my boss going off abroad every holiday and I can only go once a year or even once every two years as my pay does not keep up with living expensives. But it is better paid than other jobs in this area and I do get half day Fri and every 4th Fri off and am paid for that. So swings and roundabouts.

But Vms118 s right even my boss doesnt appreciate how it is to live on my wage. We didnt all get the same chances in life and have to make do with what we have and bosses should relize that.

Its like David Cameron saying I know how it is. Hes a millionaire and his wife is a multimillionaires how does he know.

13 years 9 months ago #608 by Twiki
I aggree with Vms118, it is absolute crap.
Your holiday pay should go through as normal as if you were working cos its your legal entitlement to get paid for holidays. They cannot expect you to live on ? less than half your monthly wage?

Its ridiculous - speak to citizens advice and check your contract out but they are seriously being unreasonable. Do the pther staff have the same issue at work? If not approach your boss and tell them to get it sorted out. Sometimes i think employers dont think that we all talk to each other.

Let us know how you get on

13 years 9 months ago #588 by Vms118
Oh yeah, and would like to know how this turns out if you have the time once it is sorted.
:)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #587 by Vms118
OK, please excuse my french. But that is complete B*ll*cks. There is nothing worse than employers trying to screw you over when it comes to annual leave entitlement. After all, you have worked hard all year to accrue it, correct? (at least I hope you have ;) )

It sounds to me that there is either one of two things going on here -

1. your boss is simply using an old and outdated system when it comes to annual leave pay, and they don't realise it as they are on 2K+ a month and this situation would not affect them similarly/as severely.

Or

2. This is a clever way to stop staff buggering off without a good amount of notice. This avoids someone say - accumulating say 3 weeks of annual leave, working week one of January having booked the last 3 weeks off with annual leave. Then once there paid at the end of January calling up on February 1st and saying "sorry, I am not returning". As you would have to wait until the end of February to get 75% of your wage.

Back to the point -
The direct.gov website ( www.direct.gov.uk ) states that "Holiday pay should be paid for the time when you actually take your holiday". Now I read that as being paid as normal. i.e. if you get paid one month in leau as per normal then you'd get paid this annual leave time one month in leau with your normal wages.

Essentailly, you need to talk to your employer. This is an unreasonable condition of employment. And if he/she disagree after you have clearly and unpersonally explained the affect this has on your life - then they don't give enough of a dam about you as a person. I would look for another job if they cannot understand the problem this policy causes to the basic running of your life.

Anyhow just my $0.02 , hope I helped a bit.

Good Luck! :)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #579 by lavalette
I think the way you are paid is correct.

But holiday pay is for your holidays so just ask your boss if you can have your holiday pay in advance. Have you actually asked him about it?

If you have not just get him at a quite moment and explain your dilema to him he can only say no and then you know where you stand and you can then take it from there. But baby steps first to test the depth of the water as my dad would say.

13 years 9 months ago #576 by koisteeeee
Basically, when I get paid my holiday pay, it is always the month after I take it. For instance, I have just come back off holiday where I have taken two weeks holiday. Instead of being paid this at the end of this month as I would do if i had worked this time instead, I will recieve my holiday in August's pay cheque. This would leave me under £500 to live with next month. :blink:

Now anyone who runs a car and has to pay rent will know this isn't that much, espcially when my mileage to work each months tops the 800mile mark, and that obviously isn't including personal mileage.

I wondered if anyone else has this same problem and whether it is legal for them to do so or if there is anything I can do to make it so I get my holiday pay when I take my holiday.

I dread going on holiday now because I know I the month after I will be left short and constantly stressed about money. :(

It's fine for the dentists who earn 2K plus a month. They don't seem to realise us dental nurses live in the real world! :angry:

Moderators: DNN

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New