My resignation to my career.

11 years 3 weeks ago #4893 by HRussell
Aww Fifi, this is a really sad situation you are in and I really feel for you.

I understand totally how you feel about IDH, I personally wouldn't want to work for them either but I do know that a lot of people do and would have a different opinion.
It seems that a lot of practices over time are selling out to the big corporates.

Have you considered about doing a nonclinical job?
I left clinical nursing over 6 years ago and went on to do various other roles within Dentistry which I have found just as rewarding. I've had my fair share of ups and downs in all my roles but wouldn't want to leave the industry as I have a real passion for it.
It would be a real shame for you to totally give everything up, you could use your skills and knowledge elsewhere. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 3 weeks ago #4888 by fifi
I am in my 8th year of dental nursing and I have been doing it the moment I left school. I have never wanted to do anything else, what I love most about it is that I can fulfil the desire I have to be caring and help people. It makes sense for me to be part of a profession that provides essential health care to people from all walks of life and even though it has had it's ups and downs I have loved it.

Which is why I am so upset and saddened to now be having this complete loss of faith in my career and why I have decided that I need to leave. Let me just give you a little bit of background.

I have worked in a lot of practices, for one reason or another I have found myself moving around the south west whether it be because of my home life or whatever, I have moved a lot therefore I have had more than the usual amount of jobs a dental nurse my age. Maybe that is why I feel like I have been cursed with so much bad luck.

I have never fit it more than I have at the latest practice I have been a part of. A lovely orthodontic clinic 45 minutes from where I live which I have commuted to for nearly two years because I am proud to be a part of the team there, the company has treated it's staff to the highest standard and it has meant that finally I have found a place I can settle! The company was run by an orthodontist who had set it up, he treated his staff with the highest regard, there were no shortage of opportunities and it was a fulfilling role. I was in love.

So yesterday was a shock. We have all been sold to IDH. Now I know this will probably divide most of you up as I am sure there are people out there with perfect experiences of this corporate, but to me they are the devil and my soul has just been sold without my permission.

I cannot even begin to describe my horror and especially because I was in this EXACT situation two years ago almost to the day in a practice which I had felt like I had finally settled in. I couldn't believe it was happening again, the same promises were rolled out that I had heard before which had ofcourse been completely broken and the same attitudes were taken... "Everything will be OK, nothing will change."

Within half an hour of being told (by a poor finance advisor who had lost his job and who had never met us before) we had TWO IDH bodies in our practice, swanning around trying to be best friends with who ever would stay still long enough. It was too much, I couldn't cope with it again. I do not want to become just a "number" when for so long I have been a person. In my opinion the company has a bad reputation because it is driven hopelessly by money and the accumulation of it.

I just feel as though they are buying every single practice, gaining the monopoly on the dental industry and I am being chased down and cornered into working with an immoral and money driven corporate.

So no more, I would rather sell my soul to the real devil than work for a company who is so far from the "caring" ideal that I first went into the profession for.

I needed to get this off my chest because I feel like I am going to go mad! :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New