Noob Nurse Blogg - my first week (and two days)!

13 years 1 month ago #1342 by fifi
LonelyAngel wrote:

Oh dear god! You're 20 and in a responsible job role and act like you should be in school still! If you worked in my practice I'd have docked your wages and sent you home with the code of practice.

Dental nurses have been campaigning for so long for increased wages and responsibilities to reflect their knowledge, remember that please. I might sound like a boring old woman but I'm passionate about my job and wish other Nurses were too. You have a duty...

As for larking about in a pair of £1000 loupes, I'd be pretty pissed off too!

Very well said. I was fed up of reading about her insulting behaviour - she has since ceased to write any more. Perhaps she got the sack?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #1336 by LonelyAngel
Oh dear god! You're 20 and in a responsible job role and act like you should be in school still! If you worked in my practice I'd have docked your wages and sent you home with the code of practice.

Dental nurses have been campaigning for so long for increased wages and responsibilities to reflect their knowledge, remember that please. I might sound like a boring old woman but I'm passionate about my job and wish other Nurses were too. You have a duty...

As for larking about in a pair of £1000 loupes, I'd be pretty pissed off too!

14 years 3 weeks ago #59 by welshy
haha noo it's great, I love it!

14 years 3 weeks ago #55 by Vms118
Oh my, you poor thing :cheer:

Victorus Aut Mortis.

14 years 3 weeks ago #51 by welshy
The dentist that I work with is my Dad...! haha :silly:

14 years 3 weeks ago #49 by Vms118
It is definately a wierd relationship - some days I do tread lightly but most days I just tell him what I think. It will eventually be more about compromise than his domination of you...hopefully.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

14 years 3 weeks ago #43 by nush_82
this made me laugh so much, :cheer:

14 years 3 weeks ago #41 by angel
Thats brillant. It made me laugh so much after a hard days works.xxx

I defo look at this blog.

14 years 3 weeks ago #40 by mm21
:)

14 years 3 weeks ago #39 by demo
cool

14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 1 week ago #38 by Miss_Floss
So here I am, one week and two days into my new job and what have I learnt?

1) The first rule of dentisty: you must not piss off the dentist.
2) The second rule of dentistry: you must not piss off the dentist.
3) The third rule of dentistry: you must not piss off the dentist.

Hmmmm, I have managed to break all three rules already.

My name is Flo, I am 20, this is my first job as a dental nurse. My friend Jules works at the same practice and helped get me the position as I was bored of my job as a cashier. Unfortunately she did not inform me of The Rules.

Today my dentist decided to teach me about extraction forceps.
"An easy way to decipher left and right is to always remember cheek to beak" he explained holding it up to his cheek. "Beak? That isn't a beak? Its more like a claw." I said clawing the air (lol) and giggling. He was not amused. His lack of amusement continued when he turned around later to find me trying to 'extract' a plastic tooth out of the demonstration model with said forceps. The extraction was unsuccessful and left indentations on the tooth, which the dentist noted with a pointed look...oops.

Rodger, my dentist, may have been a little more jovial if he hadn't been exposed to me and Jules together in the same surgery all last week. I think his breaking point was catching us taking photos of each other on our camera phones wearing his Loupes! Needless to say this week our practice manager decided I should shadow a different nurse, Joy (who is anything but!), instead of letting me and Jules run riot.

Despite Joy's unjoyfulness I have enjoyed the week so far. My separation from Jules initially led to uber boredom, but without the distraction I am starting to actually take in some of what Rodger is saying.

Tomorrow I am helping to assist with a root canal for the first time...tune in to see how I get on B) !

Moderators: DNN

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New