Going to work after long maternity leave?

11 years 5 months ago #2964 by emziewoo
hey, i was wondering if this was the same for any of you, when you got pregnant and had to have maternity leave did your wages get cut in half because i would love to start a family however i've been told by the girls at my practice that the employers half your wages while your on maternity leave! they told me this is what happens because it happened to a old nurse who used to wok there.
it also terrifies me that if i do start a family that once i come back from maternity leave that i wouldn't have my permanent nurse position working with an experienced dentist due to someone covering over my maternity leave did any of these concerns ever come to mind with yourselves. x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 7 months ago #2547 by Griffiths
Hi,

I was an agency nurse for 9 months after I qualified. Its flexible, you can work whatever days you like, I did part time and some weeks I would work wed and thurs, the following week maybe monday and thursday and if I needed a bit of extra money then some weeks I could work 3 or 4 days. Rates of pay are usually higher and you get to work in lots of different practices and meet loads of people.

Or you could go freelance and work for yourself.

x

11 years 8 months ago #2432 by starlight17.02
oh, you have so much experience!!! why don't you try doing a practice management course online??? I would if I could afford it!! :) and yes, childcare is so expensive!! maybe you should join a proper agency, apparently they do offer great pay and you work hours that you want! :) xxxxx

P Hylton

11 years 8 months ago #2431 by starlight17.02
Hello! I managed to find a new job, near my place. It is pretty good, the salary is not too bad. My in-laws look after my kids. The only let-down was when I had to work 5-6 days a week, when it was agreed that I'd do only 3-4 days. But I understood that there was a shortage of staff. It is getting better now as we have another DN. I think that dental nurses have to be lucky to land in a good practice, where one has nice colleagues. I do now and I really do appreciate it, working there made me realise how great it is to have good teamwork.

I do hope you find something better very soon. :) Best of luck! xx

P Hylton

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #2429 by KLKennedy
Hi. Firstly, congratulations. Secondly, I returned to work (on PT basis) three weeks ago, after 9 months maternity leave. I honestly wish I hadn't bothered! It's more due to the employers rather than the job to be honest. I can only work 2 days per week, as I'm relying on my mum (who's still working as a support worker) for childcare, since I can't afford to pay over half my wages out for chidcare to a nursery (paid £8ph). First off, they wanted me to work in their practice 60miles away, which would have meant having a 12hr day, by the time I travelled there & back, then they wanted me to work different days, as had been agreed. To top it off, despite having been told my indemnity insurance (which I pay for myself, same with GDC retention fee) only covers up to 20hrs (2 of our days = 17hrs), my boss asked me to take my 9 month old son into work, leave him in the office, so I could cover for the nurse who was off sick today. I'm now looking for a job elsewhere, preferable night shift, to make childcare easier. Even if my partner & I were eligible for tax credits, I can't apply since I've never received the last 2 financial years P60s. Get the feeling my bosses wear stetsons & ride around on horses?!
Good luck, whatever you decide. If I could find another dental nursing job for 2 days/week (decent rate of pay for someone with 15yrs experience, OHE qualification& trained to apply fluoride varnish) i would probably go for it. It's a shame to waste the experience & knowledge

Kirsty

11 years 10 months ago #2258 by starlight17.02
Hello! It is the first time I am posting here. I have been working as a trainee dental nurse since 2009 and qualified in 2010. I have always worked part time because of me being a mother. I have been on maternity leave for one whole year now. I do wish to return back to work i.e a new job-but on a part-time basis again. My eldest starts nursery in september and again having a part-time job would be a preference. I wish to carry on with dental nursing, but in a new environment-my preference being in a prison. I have never worked in a prison before and I do believe that it is a challenge I am ready to take. My tutor had once mentioned about being an agency dental nurse?? How does that work out?? I just wish to know how do some mothers cope with going back to a new job as a dental nurse?? And what are your personal ideas and experiences??
Thank you! :)

P Hylton

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New