Senior Nurse

10 years 9 months ago #5670 by MrsW

sam_stoddart wrote: My senior nurse had been there the longest, but she was only registered with the GDC with grandfather rights, she was also head of cross infection control. it was a nightmare which is why i left, how can you have someone telling you what to do that is not qualified!?!?! ive been qualified 4years and she used to get alot of the cross infection stuff wrong she used to tell people to do things in the wrong way etc,
she smoked in her uniform outside and used to always stink of smoke, had fake nails on (because she could she was in charge)
and she won employee of the month . . . how? she never helped anyone out and sat on her mobile most of the time when she didnt have a patient. what a joke! (i no longer work there as i dont want to be a part of this!)

^^^Still happens!!! I don't think it'll ever change... :angry:
I agree with what everyone else is saying, it shouldn't matter how long the person has worked at the practice because they could still have been practicing as as dental nurse for many years somewhere else previously. I also think qualifications should come into it, like others have said: willingness to learn and inspire other nurses to do the same - especially with CPD. I don't think it should come down to being bossed around (how I feel it is where I work!), the head nurse should be there to support you and guide you in your work and how things should/shouldn't be done.
I don't feel like I can actually go up to the head nurse and ask her advice on anything, I find I tend to ask the head receptionist (strangely a qualified dental nurse - but that's a complete other ball game...!!) if I have any cross infection questions because she has better knowledge than the head nurse does. Joke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 10 months ago #5644 by ShowMeYourTeeth
Hi Maisyandmoo - what area are you in, geographically? I'm in Bedfordshire..... B)

10 years 11 months ago #5433 by Maisyandmoo
Aww thank you ShowMeYourTeeth! Do I know you? Your phrasing is very similar to someone I know :)

I have to say I have always found this forum to be full of like minded Nurses, we all have our opinions and those thoughts have always been supported with clear arguments and/or research which makes for a balanced view.

Hope everyone has had a good Monday!

x :kiss: x

10 years 11 months ago #5429 by ShowMeYourTeeth
Hi, I'd like to weigh in if it's not too late.....

Personally I would second a lot of what has already been said - that it's essential that a senior/lead nurse is qualified, but irrelevant how long they've been in the role, their age, family ties, etc.

Essential qualities that a person in a position of authority should have, I feel, include:
The ability to motivate and guide a team - not just boss about or pull rank, like some people seem to. But to inspire their team to be as excellent as they can.
And nobody knows everything, so being able to ask the opinion of colleagues keeps everyone pulled together as a team, as they will feel that they can still contribute (even if someone has been at the practice a week, the experience they have in previous roles could still prove invaluable)
A congruent (i.e. 'real') attitude - a SN is still able to make mistakes, have off days, and not know everything - it's all about the attitude that they have, and how they deal with the obstacles! If a SN is not approachable, how will we be able to approach her/him for support and guidance?

Some of the previously stated 'how not to be a SN' examples (gossiping, false nails, basic infection control fails etc) can really put the frighteners on a n00b like me - I couldn't work with people like that!! B)

Glad to say that it sounds like we're all on the same page on this subject, and the OP is an excellent example of this. :lol: :kiss:

10 years 11 months ago #5399 by Maisyandmoo
Hello everyone,

Firstly thank you so much for all your replies, secondly please accept my apologies for not responding! Ive been unable to access the site since more or less my last post!!

My appraisal went well and it was agreed that it was only fair everyone was aware of my role and what was expected of me.
In fact I have my appraisal coming up again soon and having done above and beyond the call of duty I am now in a position to ask for a pay rise ( I took the role on initially without a pay rise)

I love being senior nurse, I love the challenges the role brings, for example researching new guidelines and the implementation of them.
Liaising between management and dentists/nurses, covering and supporting the practice manager etc.
I passed my radiography certificate also since my last post and this year am looking at the oral health qualification.

Oh.... I'm also considering moving practice too, I'm yearning for the opportunity to further my career and actually use my hard earned qualifications for the benefit of the practice.

Thanks again everyone!

11 years 2 months ago #4323 by Ekw
I hope your work is better now and you have your responsibilities back??
I'm the senior nurse in my clinic and covering senior in another building so I'm back and forward alot my priority is the theatre lists. I worked my way up to gain what the position required such as a post certificate (radiography) and at the time when I went for it you were asked to be qualified a few years, I am certainly never on my phone I think if you want respect from your team you to be stuck in there along side them and lead by example, touch wood so far I've never had a nurse refuse a task or not help me but I like to think this is due to me always supporting them all I'll make sure they get their lunch and get away on time if I can, if they're late I make sure they get their time bak asap.
I've heard of seniors who just sit and bark out orders but I don't agree with that I am always nursing along side my team, when I get my admin sessions I make sure I have time to deal with requests from the nurses and I delegate things to improve their careers/experience levels I never give them anything I'd not do myself.
X

11 years 4 months ago #3086 by sam_stoddart
My senior nurse had been there the longest, but she was only registered with the GDC with grandfather rights, she was also head of cross infection control. it was a nightmare which is why i left, how can you have someone telling you what to do that is not qualified!?!?! ive been qualified 4years and she used to get alot of the cross infection stuff wrong she used to tell people to do things in the wrong way etc,
she smoked in her uniform outside and used to always stink of smoke, had fake nails on (because she could she was in charge)
and she won employee of the month . . . how? she never helped anyone out and sat on her mobile most of the time when she didnt have a patient. what a joke! (i no longer work there as i dont want to be a part of this!)

12 years 2 weeks ago #2055 by Maisyandmoo
Hi Nikki,

Sorry it's taken a while to reply.

My appraisal went very well, everything has been clarified, and in our next staff meeting my role, responsibilities etc will be discussed to remove any misunderstandings.

Thanks for all your opinions!

12 years 1 month ago #2022 by Nikki07
Hi, hope your appraisal went well?

You will find that there is always someone who will have something to say, what ever person takes on what ever role, i think people should just get on with what they are paid to do! their JOB, we are there to assist the dentist and assist the patients in our care as without these two factors we would be out of a job (as my practice managers says). We have a senior nurse who is on mat leave at the moment no-one has stepped into her position,(not that i would want it anyway, there may be some who think they should have it) we just pull together and work as a team.

Reg/Qualified Dental Nurse

12 years 1 month ago #2020 by Maisyandmoo
Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your replies, you have all said what I thought so it's nice to have some confirmation.

The reason for asking is due to me being asked to take on extra responsibility last year (this unfortunately wasn't relayed to the rest of the practice at the time). I accepted and have worked my butt off for the last year, working though lunches, after work, at home when I've had emails to reply to and haven't had chance during the working day.

It seems that the senior nurse (works 1 and a half days a week) has taken offence to my extra responsibility and has spoken to the principal dentist. Since then I've been asked to do nothing and quite frankly I am bored.

The reason for my asking the question is really to support my claim that you cannot be senior nurse when only in 1 and half days and also to help me formulate my argument as to why I should be.. Right now, I feel really unappreciated and undervalued.

Hopefully have my appraisal today so will update on how it goes.

Thanks again!

12 years 1 month ago #2011 by Assessor
The lead nurse should also show responibility and show progression including keping upto date with CPD. Not necessialrliy the longest or the eldest. (Also not the one the dentist is sleeping with at the time) Be able to be a mother figure to the younger ones but also not get involved in tittle tattle. Find the time to help or assist the others in the surgeries and not stand back with arms folded. Listen to critisim from the dentist or other nurses. But also must smile through out the day.

12 years 1 month ago #2006 by stacey1504
i think lead nurse should be the hardest working person defently, shouldnt be how long you have worked there. at our practise we have a receptionist who has been there alot longer than us and is the oldest however think she runs the place even down to trying to tell the dentists how they do the job. unless you have the qualifications and can prove that you can be great at whatever you do that should be the only reason you should progress. NOT BASED ON YOUR AGE OR HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN AT THE PRACTICE

12 years 1 month ago #2004 by Vms118
Yep, definitely. That willingness to learn should be one of the many factors taken into account in the choice.

Victorus Aut Mortis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: starlight17.02

12 years 1 month ago #2000 by Nikki07
yes i agree that it should not always be the most qualified nurse, but as i said this does show willingness to continue learning and progression, the position should be advertised giving all the option to apply, :)

12 years 1 month ago #1999 by Assessor
That is so true Ive come across dental nurse who are qualified but no nothing about the job I worked with one about 7 yrs ago she had in the yr 1979 read a dental nursing book from cover to cover then sat the exam and gained a merit. No experience at all then or now she retired in 1999. Yet she thought he r job was to boss me around and tell me how to speak to the patients. I was quaulified at the time but the practice did not have a senior nurse as she didnt think it was worth it with being single handed
The older nurse would afternoons only and worked in the surgery i worked the surgery mornings then did reception after noons.

12 years 1 month ago #1997 by Vms118
Lead nurse should not be the person who's been around the longest, or the most qualified. It should be the person is
- hardest working
- most effecient
- people person
- able to inspire hard work in others
- etc etc

They should obviously be qualified to do the job, ie nvq or nat cert. But just because one individual has more qualifications does not mean they're better suited. Surely?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 1 month ago #1990 by Nikki07
OMG i cant believe that Dentist ran the practice that way, Sounds like staff turn over may of become high if thats the sort of collegues you worked with.
I think senior nurses should be interviewed as if it was a job position, i feel they should outline what they can bring to the role that no other can or has in the past, i feel that it should be thoses that carry extra qualifications as this shows the willingness for continual learning.
There are always gossips in any role and practice but i think the words Data Protection, confidentiality and working relationship plays a part.
The practice i work in and have done for 18months has quickly shown me those who i can trust with things and those who gossip, i have now told them gthat i only have to work there i dont have to be friends with them :P
I recently took on the role of Infection control leader as our senior nurse has gone onto maternity, it was quickly made clear to me that i was only to do the job for 12months and that i would not be taking on the role as senior nurse. (funny i didnt want the role of senior nurse as i have only been qualified for 6/7 years and feel i should gain more from my roles in gthe practice and gain more qualifications) :P

12 years 1 month ago #1988 by Assessor
Its usually the one whose been there the longest. But should be the most Qualified.
I once worked in a practice just outside Manchester the dentist made the younger nurse the senior nurse yet i was the one Qualified. He then said any problems see her. His domain was the surgery what went on in the rest of the practice she delt with it. I told her some thing in confidence and within the hour it was around the practice. When I complained to the dentist he just said did it go on in the surgery or out of the surgery. I said out of the surgery he then sad nothing to do with him.

12 years 1 month ago #1984 by Nikki07
I have been at my practice for 18months, Our Senior Nurse has worked in the practice for a number of years starting as a trainee. Here role is surgery duties, assisting the practice manager where needed,Infection control leader, problem solver, she gives new starters clinical inductions. She is only qualified a dental nurse, holding no other qualifications. The last practice i worked in gave the title to the longest standing nurse not the most qualified.

12 years 1 month ago #1983 by Maisyandmoo
Hi everyone,

Just wanted a quick opinion from you about what you feel the duties of a Senior Nurse are.

Also, what qualities should a Senior Nurse possess?

Thanks in advance! Have a good day! xx

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New