Working with a bad cold!

11 years 1 month ago #4716 by ShowMeYourTeeth
Probably responding a bit late with this but.....is there any way you can be transferred to admin duties for a couple of days?

I had a cough/cold recently and arranged a day off, only to be called in as someone else had also called in sick (migraine). So the following week I was on reception whilst my colleague nursed (in our practice we have 2 nurses and 2 reception/nurse, which is verrrry handy!) - whilst a few days off would have been best, doing just reception really helped, as I could drink plenty, not breathe on patients, get up when I needed to have a couging fit in the adjascent staff room, etc etc.
As it turned out I had a chest infection!

Maybe it's something your practice could look at as they pay out less for sick pay (if you're lucky enough to have it) and less on agency/cover staff.

I hope you are feeling better now :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #936 by Vms118
Ergh nasty.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 6 months ago #922 by rhianp
I was on an agency job and a dentist in the practice was full of a stinking cold, although he was wearing a mask he was struggling to breathe so pulled it down to only cover his mouth...

...yes you guessed it his nose dripped and....

...landed on the patients forehead! i am so glad i wasn't nursing for him, i don't thinki could have stopped myself from falling off my stool. :laugh:

he went home after lunch and stayed off for the rest of the week.

13 years 11 months ago #211 by MLA
Well, do the best to prevent others to get it is necessary.
Don't, never, ever sneeze in the hand.
That is horrible.

Be careful and use common sense.

Get well! :)

14 years 2 days ago #170 by mm21
Hmmmm difficult one. With flu I would definitely not go in. Cold is a little different although you do need rest to recover quicker. I think try and have an early one and just keep drinking honey & lemon. If you feel so bad you can not get out of bed then definitely don't go in but i generally wouldn't consider that having a cold would be a reason not to go in. Hope that helps :)

14 years 2 days ago #169 by Vms118
Most people are only contagious with common cold generallly for the first 2 - 4 days of infection and given that you likely didn't show symptoms until day 2 or 3 of infection I think you'd be ok contagion wise -

www.healthguidance.org/entry/6121/1/How-...Cold-Contagious.html

Victorus Aut Mortis.

14 years 2 days ago #168 by fifi
I know how you feel. The last thing you wanna do is go into work and wear a mask with a runny nose and feeling like rubbish!

Personally if its that bad, I wouldn't go in. I find I get better at home quicker than when I'm trying to work hard at work and I hate spreading it. I feel the same when someone has come into work with a cold and if I was a manager I would send anyone home feeling and looking visibly ill as its better to have one person off ill than everyone

Bonus if you get sick pay, not so good if you don't. But tbh if you're ill you're ill - we all get ill. There are just those people that like to be martyrs and go and spread it to everyone else, or theres the people who get better before going back! :)

14 years 2 days ago #167 by Vms118
I suppose protocol/guidelines dictate that you stay away from work but I think we all know how that one goes down....I'd likely just go in and not even ask to have sick leave so as to avoid the complication.

Get well soon though! :)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

14 years 2 days ago #166 by louise7111
I've had a horrible cold since last Thursday and now have watery eyes, can't stop sneezing, runny nose e.t.c, not sure if to go to work tomorrow if i'm still feeling bad.
What would everybody else do? I always feel so bad not going in...........
Thank you :S

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New